Maxon OD808 Overdriver Pedal

C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone play with this Overdrive. Ive heard good things about it. Im looking to switch from my distortion pedal to an overdrive pedal. Any idea's or suggestions.

Heres the link to the pedal.

http://www.maxonfx.com/od808.html
This is the greatest band in the world
-Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's supposed to be a sonic copy of the old Ibanez TS-808. Maxon used to make the originals for Ibanez. They have a good reputation, I know that...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by C-minor
    Anyone play with this Overdrive. Ive heard good things about it. Im looking to switch from my distortion pedal to an overdrive pedal. Any idea's or suggestions.

Heres the link to the pedal.

http://www.maxonfx.com/od808.html

Maxon made the original ibanez models. House53 had one I think, and liked it a lot. I think it's a very good overdrive but
    if you're going to spend 160 dollars go see Robert Keeley first. http://www.robertkeeley.com

Or, if you want an even better cheaper option please please PM Telesonic. He has an outstanding overdrive that he has created.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Or, if you want an even better cheaper option please please PM Telesonic. He has an outstanding overdrive that he has created.

So...

You on commission?

I admit, I kinda still want one...
  • C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    I play with a distortion pedal with the distortion level set really low. I think my tone would benefit getting that out and playing with an overdriver. I have a tubescreamer too but I dont like the tone with just the screamer.
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    So...

You on commission?

nope, not on commission. I've played it and its as good as anything else in that range if not better. The one I got was very very smooth, all the pots were perfect. Now he said he's improved it and he's a member of the board and a pearl jam fan. You'll definately get better customer service anyhow.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    nope, not on commission. I've played it and its as good as anything else in that range if not better. The one I got was very very smooth, all the pots were perfect. Now he said he's improved it and he's a member of the board and a pearl jam fan. You'll definately get better customer service anyhow.

After I get my Pedal Power and my DD-6 and my Telecaster Deluxe, I'll put that next on the list.

Shits and giggles:

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v326/mccreadyisgod/coveryourass.jpg
  • TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    So...

You on commission?

keeley has him on commission too.

MIG, i don't know why, but i had caught a bad vibe from you about my OD. no big deal. but I'd be willing to send one off to you for a test run if you'd like. :)

and thanks for your comments paco.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    Originally posted by Telesonic
    MIG, i don't know why, but i had caught a bad vibe from you about my OD. no big deal. but I'd be willing to send one off to you for a test run if you'd like. :)

Actually, based on everything I've heard, your pedal is built like a tank, looks smart, is clean and immaculate inside, and sounds amazing... and now that the clip switch is an external option, it's got to be one of the most versatile overdrive pedals on the market.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire rig right now, and I just went in on a new Telecaster, so I'm a bit short of change right now, otherwise I'd already have ordered one of your overdrives. I recently bought a Fender Musicmaster Bass amp, all-tube 12-watt combo amp, and put a Weber California ceramic 12" speaker and some new Electro Harmonix tubes in it. It's a small Mesa Boogie with a Fender logo, I swear to God! I have a feeling this amp is just begging for the exact kind of overdrive your pedal provides.

If you still don't have any soundclips up by the end of August, I'll "borrow" one and record some clips for you, and test-drive it on my rig at the same time. I have a feeling I'd probably mail you a check instead of the pedal when I'm done, anyways. PM if interested...

One quick question for you, though... what connector does your AC adapter use? Center-neg Boss-type?
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I am a big fan of the Maxon 808... my favorite overdrive... and I have tried a ton of them.

Very good at pushing your amp hard and getting it to drive on its own... also has a very natural tone to its overdrive when you turn up the gain...

I would highly recommend the Maxon... and I am not on commission.

I am on commission for Dr. Z... :D
    There's No Code.