Powering Pedals ?

C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought the Boss TU-2 about a month and a half ago.
I bought more to power tmy pedals. I bought the daisey chain and powered them all up.

Ive been getting so much buzzing and unwanted noise . Ive checked all my pedals . Connections, Bought new George L's and still getting the buzzing.
Only Buzzes when I press my Screamer or the Modded Blues Driver.

So I decided to loose the daisey chain and run all pedals on Battery's.

Buzzing and Hiss is all gone. I could have all my pedals on and you cant hear a peep.
So what is it. Is the daisy chain bad. The Boss Pedal is not working right , or does the Boss have the capability to power up all my pedals.
Im lost.
Im thinking about returning the tuner and buying the Voodoo Labs Pedal power II . Not sure what to do.
Ive heard from alot of people that the Voodoo is the way to go.
Anyone have Ideas or thoughts.
Thanks
C
This is the greatest band in the world
-Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It's possible that the daisy cable has a small problem, or that the TU-2 is having issues. Hard to say which.

Is your guitar amp grounded? How about the outlets you're plugging into?

I'll tell you this... when I got my Pedal Power 2, I was staying with some friends in their basement, which didn't have grounded power. I was playing my Tele Deluxe w/ P-90's (single coils) and getting a HELL of a lot of buzz. Once I got the PP2, the noise was cut in half. Once I plugged into grounded power, noise was gone.

Short of getting the AC adapters for each pedal and running them all off power strips, the PP2 is the best way to go (maybe even better, since it's a power conditioner as well). I believe it to be the best consumer-grade power supply out there. The problem the TU-2 has, is the supplies aren't isolated (so each pedal's current draw affects the other pedals in the chain). It's like pulling a wagon with horses... the TU-2 lines all the horses up on one rope, whereas the PP2 gives each horse it's own rope. That way, no one horse can affect the other horses. Okay, horrible analogy, but perhaps you get the point?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    It's possible that the daisy cable has a small problem, or that the TU-2 is having issues. Hard to say which.

Is your guitar amp grounded? How about the outlets you're plugging into?

I'll tell you this... when I got my Pedal Power 2, I was staying with some friends in their basement, which didn't have grounded power. I was playing my Tele Deluxe w/ P-90's (single coils) and getting a HELL of a lot of buzz. Once I got the PP2, the noise was cut in half. Once I plugged into grounded power, noise was gone.

Short of getting the AC adapters for each pedal and running them all off power strips, the PP2 is the best way to go (maybe even better, since it's a power conditioner as well). I believe it to be the best consumer-grade power supply out there. The problem the TU-2 has, is the supplies aren't isolated (so each pedal's current draw affects the other pedals in the chain). It's like pulling a wagon with horses... the TU-2 lines all the horses up on one rope, whereas the PP2 gives each horse it's own rope. That way, no one horse can affect the other horses. Okay, horrible analogy, but perhaps you get the point?

That analogy was actually perfect.
    I'm gonna buy a new daisy chain and try that. The Cheapest way to test it. If I still have the same problem Im gonna go with the Voodoo.
    I knew I should have just bought the damn thing in the first place.
    Thanks
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • BraighniBraighni Posts: 58
    Got an old PC speaker 9V DC plug.

Bought six jacks at 20 euro, and wired it all up.

Saved myself a fair bit of cash.
    The plug gives up to 1 amp of power.
    Boss pedals typically need 2ma to 30ma depending so technically
    I could add another 30 pedals no bother.
    www.baddog.ie