Mod Kit for TS9DX ?

C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
My tubescreamer is the silly Turbo TS9DX model.
What Mod kit would be good for it.

I found this one on Ebay and im not sure if this is what i need.

Any help please

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3741906165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
This is the greatest band in the world
-Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    negative, ghost rider. those kits don't change all the stuff that really needs changing.

You'll be getting a chip, but it dosen't guarentee it's correct chip and modding the TS needs a lot more changes to sound better than just the op amp.

It does look proper with the metal film caps etc, and the RC chip is a good one, but it dosen't look like they are giving you all you need there and there's still no guarentee that you are getting the proper chip because it's Ebay and there are horror stories.

All in all it's 25 bucks, though, if you want to go for it. It's only 25 bucks.

From Analogman.

Ebay Tube screamer mods and chips
    Many people have emailed me asking about Ibanez Tube Screamers on EBAY that were supposedly modified by me. Also people have asked about chips on ebay that are being sold as "New Old Stock" TS-808 JRC4558D chips. If you want a JRC chip for a project, don't waste your time with Ebay, go to Steve at Small Bear Electronics who sells them cheap (sorry we dont have time to sell chips or small parts). Most of the TS9/808 pedals being sold on ebay as ANALOG MAN pedals actually were modified by us- you can usually tell by the stickers and stamps on them. If the stickers are gone on the outside they will still have our gold foil sticker on the insulator plate under the bottom plate and our signature and date on the inside of the metal bottom plate. You may also see some fabulous art work on the bottom plate by one of the analog elves (some is not quite so fabulous...)

This one was one of mine, went for $152.50 on 4/23/02, not bad for a used pedal!!

Recently there have been fake Analog Man pedals turning up. Some have no mods at all, the stock chip is covered in epoxy, which we never do. So check the pictures on this page against any pedals you see, and ask if they have our stickers and stamps. In Jan-2002 I received a ts9 to mod that was sent with a kit bought on EBAY (he decided to have me install it). The kit contained a chip I had never even heard of- a JRC062D. I looked it up and it is a JFET opamp, not even the same basic type of chip used on a TS-808. And of the 9 resistors sent with the kit, (why 9??) only 2 had values that could be used for a correct 808 mod. This was one of the most popular kits sold on ebay... so be careful out there!
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yeah, it's a gamble. Buyer beware!

I'd almost be more interested in having Analog Mike or Robert Keeley modify it for you. It's more $$$, but you KNOW you're getting top-quality parts and installation. You might even e-mail one or both, and just see if you can get the parts for their mods, save yourself some money and do it yourself (if it's a task you're up to). Maybe Greg (exhausted) or Eric (Telesonic) will have some ideas here...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Yeah, it's a gamble. Buyer beware!

I'd almost be more interested in having Analog Mike or Robert Keeley modify it for you. It's more $$$, but you KNOW you're getting top-quality parts and installation. You might even e-mail one or both, and just see if you can get the parts for their mods, save yourself some money and do it yourself (if it's a task you're up to). Maybe Greg (exhausted) or Eric (Telesonic) will have some ideas here...

There are some good DIY mod sites:
    http://www.guitartone.net/download-mods.htm

I agree though, leave it to the pros. Mike is a great guy to deal with and I have never heard one bad thing about Keeley or Mike.

I just bought the mojo, clone chorus and a compressor from Keeley.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Originally posted by JofZ
    There are some good DIY mod sites:
    http://www.guitartone.net/download-mods.htm

I agree though, leave it to the pros. Mike is a great guy to deal with and I have never heard one bad thing about Keeley or Mike.

I just bought the mojo, clone chorus and a compressor from Keeley.

oh really you decided on a mojo vibe and a clone chorus. wow.

Can't go wrong with the Keeley comp you won't lose money on any of that. You planning on going on tour with your buddy? Sounds like you're gearing up.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    oh really you decided on a mojo vibe and a clone chorus. wow.

Can't go wrong with the Keeley comp you won't lose money on any of that. You planning on going on tour with your buddy? Sounds like you're gearing up.

I am a loser! LOLOL

Just in love with effects, if I ever get a chance to gig I will, but I can't say I will ever have the skills :)

My wife bought me the mojo and clone from Mike and I saw the boxes in her closet. I will pretend to be very surprised.
    I am chorus slut!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    I am a loser! LOLOL

Just in love with effects, if I ever get a chance to gig I will, but I can't say I will ever have the skills :)

My wife bought me the mojo and clone from Mike and I saw the boxes in her closet. I will pretend to be very surprised.
    I am chorus slut!

my family won't even research that shit. You're sure lucky to have a woman like that.
  • C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    Thanks guys, Your KNowledge fuckin rules.

Ive resorted to the fact that im gonna either have the Analogman TS808 Mod done or Keely. Any suggestions.
    Thanks again
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I guess I didn't know A-log Mike did a TS9DX mod. I know Keeley does...

I own two Keeley tubescreamer mods, so I can speak for his work. FUCKING AMAZING. If you want a tubescreamer tone, his is world-class.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by C-minor
    Thanks guys, Your KNowledge fuckin rules.

Ive resorted to the fact that im gonna either have the Analogman TS808 Mod done or Keely. Any suggestions.
    Thanks again

apples and oranges when you're talking Analog Mike or Robert Keeley. Both build stuff for all levels of pro's and by all accounts both are cool guys.

I bought from Keeley too, because I don't know he seemed like a cool guy. I'd go through both sites, read each thoroughly, take your time no rush learn all you can about the TS9DX and decide what you want. I think the prices are about equal. You really can't go wrong. It's really a good value, maybe 30 more bucks and no headache of maybe doing something wrong. Piece of mind.....priceless.
    Thanks dude, I just read over Analog Mikes Site about the Mods,
    Does anyone have the link to Keelys site,
    Thanks
    Ok
    I went with the Keely Plus Mod
    Of all i read it seemed to be the BEST. Thanks again.
    Ill be shipping mine out tommorow morning
    Originally posted by C-minor
    Ok
    I went with the Keely Plus Mod
    Of all i read it seemed to be the BEST. Thanks again.
    Ill be shipping mine out tommorow morning

cool, you should have it back by next week sometime probably. good choice.
    my family won't even research that shit. You're sure lucky to have a woman like that.

Very true, she is good to me.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• TelesonicTelesonic Posts: 222
    good choice to have someone else do it. unless you have a fair amount of experience with a soldering iron, its not worth the hassle. the desoldering is actually what's the bitch, especially if its not a good desoldering braid.

i could have done something for you, but i actually want to focus more on making pedals rather than doing mods.
    my life...you electrify my life. let's conspire to reignite...all the souls that would die just feel alive.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Yeah J. I'll have to say David Barber is one of my favorites.

I definately want to try an LTD at some point and the Burn Unit is on my wish list but I think I'm going to be patronising our own Eric Shannon in the near Future.
    Yeah J. I'll have to say David Barber is one of my favorites.

I definately want to try an LTD at some point and the Burn Unit is on my wish list but I think I'm going to be patronising our own Eric Shannon in the near Future.

Whats the scoop on the Shannon?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Whats the scoop on the Shannon?

http://www.shannon-effects.com but I believe there are better decriptions at his new dealer's site.
    http://www.shannon-effects.com but I believe there are better decriptions at his new dealer's site.

So who is he? I take it from all the message board talk that he is a PJ member?

Any sound clips? I am pretty sure all the 808 mods are similar, so why not support a local :)

You need to check out toneczar, Ed makes some crazy stuff.

you could just run a shannon with a Keeley baked TS9 with a Java boost and call it a day LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

So who is he?

"Telesonic"