Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner - DC Power Brick - or Voodoo Labs Power supply

C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Im looking into getting a power supply for my pedals. I have five.
Im leaning towards the Boss Tuner cause its a great tuner and it will power up to 8 pedals.
Is there any reason why I should get the other ones. Is the tuner going to give me unwanted noise in my chain.
Im trying to make sense of this.
Thanks
This is the greatest band in the world
-Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what do you want to power? that's critical to know before making a suggestion.

the TU-2 can only handle up to (i think) 250mA current draw total. plus it can only handle 9V negative tip type pedals.

the visual sound onespot is another one to look at.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    one reason to get the brick would be the 3 18volt outs.

I want one to run my OD's and boosters on.

I currently own a switchmode power supply (think VS one spot but this ones made by Godlyke) Essentially they are interchangeable in fact I use a VS extention cable.

Mine works great, I just need some kind of voltage doublers for my OD's....I want the extra headroom.

(disclaimer) Kids: don't go doubling the recommended power dose for your pedals unless you are sure they can handle it.

The VS one spot (godlyke power all) are around 50 bucks cheaper, the installation may not be as clean as the power brick or voodoo labs pedal power 2 but for 50 bucks plus all the necessary adaptors, it's been great.

I don't think that tuner will add any unwanted or noticable noise.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I have the Dunlop Power Brick and love it. The 18 volt outputs are great...I run my Shannon OD on it and it sounds great! The only problem I've had was noise on my Marshall Supervibe Chorus, which didn't like the power supply (9v of course) for some reason, so I run that on it's own. Other than that it's much better than a simple daisy chain, as it isolates each pedal (or so it claims).
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • I use the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, and I love it.

I have four buddies who play and tour regularly, and they all use the TU-2 for tuner and power supply, and it's never let any of them down...

The big advantage of the Voodoo Lab is that it's isolated, power-conditioned, and has two slots for 18-volt units (plus an AC receptacle). The two "sag" outputs make sense for certain overdrives (where, instead of headroom, you want a grittier distortion) but I don't use them.

So, the TU-2 won't add any noise, but the Pedal Power and the DC Brick might *remove* some noise (thru cleaner, transformer-isolated, conditioned power). The flip-side is that you'd need a separate tuner with either of those two. The Pedal Power, at least, also has different connections available, like for my older DynaComp or newer Line 6 pedals.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Im at a loss for this one.
    I've heard great things about the voodoo labs, but Im liking the idea of the Boss. I feel like Im getting more for my money.
  • i'd go with the boss for starters...why not? Everyone needs a tuner, and it's just a bonus that it powers other pedals.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Ok , I went with the Boss Tuner.

But i have a stupid question.
    Can i put it anywhere in my pedal chain or does it have to be the pedal i plug my guitar in ?
  • C-minor wrote:
    Ok , I went with the Boss Tuner.

But i have a stupid question.
    Can i put it anywhere in my pedal chain or does it have to be the pedal i plug my guitar in ?

It can go anywhere in the pedal chain, but the daisy-chain for the pedal power will work best if it's at the beginning or end, and it'll work better as a tuner if it's at the beginning.
  • It can go anywhere in the pedal chain, but the daisy-chain for the pedal power will work best if it's at the beginning or end, and it'll work better as a tuner if it's at the beginning.

Your knowledge does not go un appreciated and unnoticed dude.
    You rock
  • C-minor wrote:
    You rock

Thanks...

Ditto everyone else here, esp. Paco, Ex, and Who'sPJ. I learn as much from everyone else here as I share with everyone else...

Have fun, rock out, let us know how it treats you!
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    C-minor wrote:
    You rock

I agree. I try to soak up his knowledge like a sponge. Mad props to MiG, word.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com