Pedal Help.

C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I currently have a TS-9 with the Keeley Mod Plus. This pedal kicks ass. Love it.
I also was playing through the MXR distortion+ for when i wanted more crunch and for some lead work.
The MXR just didnt sound good with the TS-9.
So i sold it.
Im either gonna buy another TS-9 from keeley but with the Baked mod, or the Boss distortion DS-1 keeley mod with the ultra and sem switch.
I think Id much rather go with the TS-9 Baked mod but not sure if its gonna have enough distortion.
Was wondering if someone has any insight for me.
Thanks
This is the greatest band in the world
-Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think there is alot of crunch available with 2 Ts9's. I am also considering this 2nd ts9 option. What makes you want to go with the baked mod?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I think there is alot of crunch available with 2 Ts9's. I am also considering this 2nd ts9 option. What makes you want to go with the baked mod?

Well, i already have the Mod Plus, and from they way I understand it the Baked mod is definetly closer to a distortion pedal.
  • I also have the mod plus. I always thought that if got anotehr one and played them back to back to back it would produce a wicked amount of dostortion. Right now to get that sort of effect I turn the preamp volume all the way up on my dirty channel then turn overdrive all the way up on my ts9 plus. This provides some pretty harsh distortion if I wanna play something like, the intro to thunderstruck. I think 2 ts9's would sound way better though.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you guys get a chance check out Keeley's Rat2 mod.

I own it. It's kind of like taking the output section of a TS9 and strapping it to a Rat. It just depends on how much gain you want. Some like it some don't. I've enjoyed it but I don't know how long I'll keep it.

The baked mod certainly is a great option for a number 2 though. It's probably a bit smoother than the rat which is more compressed and gritty. I think Keeley has some clips available.

Trent Berry has some clips for you of the Baked TS-9

http://www.downwithtwelve.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I listened to the whole set of baked clips. It seems to me that there is so much distortion available in a baked that pairing it with a plus would be pointless. I mean I already have a plus and getiing another would give 2x as much gain when i put them both in the chain right? But having a baked, it seems like I would only use one or the other.
  • Well, let's ask someone who knows...

ME!

I've got a TS-9 Plus Mod and a TS-9 Baked Mod. The Baked is pretty close to the range of a stock DS-1, just clearer signal. Lots of gain, lots of output. The Plus Mod into the Baked Mod is great, because I set my Plus as a grit/boost, and the Baked as a distortion, and the two together is quite powerful. The key is dealing with the compression... having two tubescreamers on will compress your signal a lot, so the volume can be hard to match to a clean signal. But I've got more than enough gain with my two Keeley's.

The other option, if you really want to expand your options, is a Line 6 DM-4:
    http://www.line6.com/productDetail.html?model=32

A little of everything...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Well, let's ask someone who knows...

ME!

I've got a TS-9 Plus Mod and a TS-9 Baked Mod. The Baked is pretty close to the range of a stock DS-1, just clearer signal. Lots of gain, lots of output. The Plus Mod into the Baked Mod is great, because I set my Plus as a grit/boost, and the Baked as a distortion, and the two together is quite powerful. The key is dealing with the compression... having two tubescreamers on will compress your signal a lot, so the volume can be hard to match to a clean signal. But I've got more than enough gain with my two Keeley's.

The other option, if you really want to expand your options, is a Line 6 DM-4:
    http://www.line6.com/productDetail.html?model=32

A little of everything...

Thanks dude.
    I went with the Baked Mod. I think thts what im looking for.
    Question.
    From guitar to amp what do you put first the mod plus or the baked mod.
    I always get stupid wih the signal flow.
    I now have
    Guitar , Wah , Phase 90 , Tube screamer , Delay , Amp.
    Where do i put the baked mod?
  • C-minor wrote:
    Thanks dude.
    I went with the Baked Mod. I think thts what im looking for.
    Question.
    From guitar to amp what do you put first the mod plus or the baked mod.
    I always get stupid wih the signal flow.
    I now have
    Guitar , Wah , Phase 90 , Tube screamer , Delay , Amp.
    Where do i put the baked mod?

I would go...

Guitar -> Wah -> Phase 90 -> Plus Mod -> Baked Mod -> Delay -> Amp
  • Thanks again dude.
  • C-minor wrote:
    Thanks again dude.

No prob...

Enjoy!
  • Hey Mccreadyisgod !

Do you get sick amount of unwanted noise and feedback with the second screamer.
    Im getting too much feedback.
    Any ideas?
  • C-minor wrote:
    Hey Mccreadyisgod !

Do you get sick amount of unwanted noise and feedback with the second screamer.
    Im getting too much feedback.
    Any ideas?

Well, the Baked model has gobs of gain, and gain is what causes feedback...

What kinda guitar you play? And amp?

Are you playing the Baked with the gain all the way up? Are you playing REALLY close to the amp (like, 3 feet or less)?

What causes feedback is when your guitar picks up the sound from your amp, and reproduces this. The easiest way for this to happen is for the amp's sound to cause the strings to vibrate... which is why muting the strings usually stops feedback. But some pickups can pick sound up on their own, without the strings vibrating... I'm wondering if that's what's happening here. This is the kind of thing that allows people to sing into their guitar pickups.

Are you just getting feedback, or is there other noise too?
  • i just want to throw in my two cents here. I haven't heard anyone else bring this pedal up, how about an Ibanez sonic distortion. I use it after my tubescreamer and I love it. It also sounds great on it's own with a tele. If anyone here has experience with this pedal i'd like to hear your impressions of it.
    It's really great when your in a limo you can put your head to the window and look out at all the homeless people-E.V.