Ipod

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was curious if any of you have an IPOD, or an opinion on a better MP3 player.
I am really into the 40g model as I can put all 600 of my cds on it and continue to add them as my collection grows.
Anyone use an FM transmitter ever?
Most of my buddies in bands are using these for everything and they forced me to sit down with one last week and I was just amazed. The sound quality blows away my other MP3 players and I can toss my PDA since the IPOD has a contact and calendar.

So if you got an opinion good or bad let me know before I buy one.
Thanks guys!
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    As far as I know they are the 911 turbo of MP3 players.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • They are nice. But not for my MP3 purposes.

They are a little heavy. Alot of peopel like their mp3 players cause they don't skip and weigh virtually nothing, so you can jog or work out with them and not worry about it. The RCA and Nike ones are amazing for those purposes and so are best sellers.

But yah if what you care about is storage space and features then Ipod is where it's at.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

I knew you were going to post that :)

Thanks for the opinions. I have a small nike one for working out, its limited and has no storage space. I travel 3 weeks on the road a month, so being able to take it all with me is a huge plus.
    Thanks again guys!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • I have an ipod and it is one of the best things that I own. I use it at the gym, riding MARTA (subway), I use it in my car etc...... However, not only is the ipod kick ass but MAC has managed to create the best music software, in my opinion, that is out. itunes is easy to use and has aesthetic beauty unlike some of the other music programs that have too much shit everywhere. Anyways, go but the ipod, its the best thing out there. It seriously is the Holy Grail of mp3 players. Oh, and one more thing is that with itunes it is easy to download legitimately. In fact you can find most of the Pearl Jam 2003 shows on itunes.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
    Originally posted by DirtLikeMe
    I have an ipod and it is one of the best things that I own. I use it at the gym, riding MARTA (subway), I use it in my car etc...... However, not only is the ipod kick ass but MAC has managed to create the best music software, in my opinion, that is out. itunes is easy to use and has aesthetic beauty unlike some of the other music programs that have too much shit everywhere. Anyways, go but the ipod, its the best thing out there. It seriously is the Holy Grail of mp3 players. Oh, and one more thing is that with itunes it is easy to download legitimately. In fact you can find most of the Pearl Jam 2003 shows on itunes.

Thanks for the post, every pro muscian I know uses one. I figured I couldn't go wrong. Do you ever use an FM transmitter? I use a ton of rental cars and thought the new ones were worth the look. For what its worth, I am really against down loading, if you buy it thats is fine, but I always like having the master with liner notes. I heard great things about Itunes and they actually sell music people have heard of LOL. Which model do you have?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• I just got a 20 gig one a month ago. Spend the extra hundred bucks and get the 40 gig. Mine's almost full, but I'll probably delete some of it anyway.
    It's so great to have your entire music collection in a deck of card sized box. If you travel, you'll love it!

I got the fm transmitter and it's great unless you're in a city with a lot of stations, because when you get a signal on the station you're on, it fuzzes out.
    Also , get some nice sennheiser earphones for it.

One thing to watch. I kept loading my CD's into it. I had probably 150 or more in it. I kept loading them into the computer and loading the Ipod, then deleting the music from my computer for space. The Ipod's default mode is to automatically synchronize when you reconnect. Well I did, and the f*n computer synchronized to the empty music list and deleted the whole Ipod! DOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So make sure you make it "manual" in the computer!
    I've got about 400+ Cd's in the 20 gig.
    You can't download from the Ipod back to the computer, so there is no way to back it up, but I think there is an aftermarket program that does it. I should look for that. Like I say, you travel, you'll love it.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    It's so great to have your entire music collection in a deck of card sized box. If you travel, you'll love it!

I got the fm transmitter and it's great unless you're in a city with a lot of stations, because when you get a signal on the station you're on, it fuzzes out.
    Also , get some nice sennheiser earphones for it.

One thing to watch. I kept loading my CD's into it. I had probably 150 or more in it. I kept loading them into the computer and loading the Ipod, then deleting the music from my computer for space. The Ipod's default mode is to automatically synchronize when you reconnect. Well I did, and the f*n computer synchronized to the empty music list and deleted the whole Ipod! DOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So make sure you make it "manual" in the computer!
    I've got about 400+ Cd's in the 20 gig.
    You can't download from the Ipod back to the computer, so there is no way to back it up, but I think there is an aftermarket program that does it. I should look for that. Like I say, you travel, you'll love it.

Awesome, thanks for answering all of my questions :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• I agree with who's_pearljam? about getting one with more memory if you can afford it, however, if you do not want to spend the extra $100 or whatever, its not a huge deal. I actually have the smallest one and it is fine but I can't put all my CD's on it but still, I have thousands of songs.

Also, I would not suggest the FM transmitter because it basically turns the quality of the mp3's into what you would expect from a radio station. Plus, at high volumes there is interference and seeing that I like my music loud it just wasn't a fit. I instead have the tape deck thing and it is great!!! It sounds perfect, although my sister had trouble with hers when she bought a tape deck adapter which was not the Sony one that MAC sells. It could have been a fluke but as soon as she switched a bought the tape deck adapter from MAC she had no problems.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
  • Pjammin10Pjammin10 Posts: 24
    Screw IPODs... IRivers are the way to go... the Iriver IHP-140 Costs about a hundred less.. and for a musician.. it's a better way to go.. it has ALL of the same chips and the same hard drive of the IPod, but it has SO many other features as well such as: A built in mic, NO piracy software loaded on so you wont have problems when using it on other computers, a Digital (optical) In/Out jack to get pure digital quality through a reciever, Analog mic in/out, Digital FM tuner, and a file conversion program.. record in MP3 mode or Wav mode or convert back and forth... and above all it has upgradable firmware which means that it will handle any future file types, not too shabby for about $399-450..The 20g is about $349...Happy Shopping
    ::Mike
    Originally posted by Pjammin10
    Screw IPODs... IRivers are the way to go... the Iriver IHP-140 Costs about a hundred less.. and for a musician.. it's a better way to go.. it has ALL of the same chips and the same hard drive of the IPod, but it has SO many other features as well such as: A built in mic, NO piracy software loaded on so you wont have problems when using it on other computers, a Digital (optical) In/Out jack to get pure digital quality through a reciever, Analog mic in/out, Digital FM tuner, and a file conversion program.. record in MP3 mode or Wav mode or convert back and forth... and above all it has upgradable firmware which means that it will handle any future file types, not too shabby for about $399-450..The 20g is about $349...Happy Shopping

My IT guys said the same thing till we tested them side by side. The Iriver is nice, but it isn't built like an Ipod. I agree with you it has some nice built in functions, but it also has too many things that belong on a PDA not an MP3 player. I think its personal preference, but it is a nice alternative to the Ipod.

The biggest thing it has going is the software, but nothing is perfect :)

Thanks for the opinion!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Oh I used to use a SoundFeeder FM tranciever in an old 83 Caprice I ended up selling to a local drug dealer. They work fine, for rental cars. Many new cars like the new Honda Element have aux input jacks for those things. When you rent see if the rental has one. I think the soundfeeders work fine though It's best in the lower power under used areas of the FM band like 88.5.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    lots of people haven't even heard of, or considered, the dell hard drive mp3 player the dell DJ...i got one for christmas and has been thorougly impressed with it for many reasons, first off it has 2x the battery life of the ipod, second many of my friends have gotten ipods and within a few months or even weeks they become dirty/scratched but my dell still looks as good as the day i got it, and finally it has a voice recorder thats pretty good quality so i can record anything from lectures to guitar and put it on my computer...its only slightly bigger in size and has a price tag about 100 dollars less....well worth checking it out on dell.com

as far as the adapters/transmitters, the cassette adapters are a better option (no worries of having to move it around to get a clear signal, direct input), i bought an aux cable for mine (red, yellow, & white plugs like on the vcr) that give amazingly high quality through my home stereo
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79

But aren't 911 Turbo's small, lightweight, and have horrible storage capacities? I would more likely compare it to a Ford Lightning or Porsche Cayenne.

Now, for signal transfer... wouldn't it be great if every car in the entire world had a stereo mini jack? Or a pair of RCA's? Hell, I wish I had one in my car... damn...

Tape adapters are better than FM transmitters, that's for sure... the signal strength of the FM transmitters is limited by the FCC, so you're kinda screwed there. A direct wire-to-wire signal transfer would be great, no doubt. I just read a review of the new Honda Element, that comes standard with a stereo mini jack (1/8") input for the stereo. That means that you can take anything with a headphone output, and plug it into the car with a $3 mini-to-mini cable from RadioShack. MiniDisc, mp3, CD, tape, DAT, whatever. Sounds like a great idea to me...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    But aren't 911 Turbo's small, lightweight, and have horrible storage capacities? I would more likely compare it to a Ford Lightning or Porsche Cayenne.

Now, for signal transfer... wouldn't it be great if every car in the entire world had a stereo mini jack? Or a pair of RCA's? Hell, I wish I had one in my car... damn...

Tape adapters are better than FM transmitters, that's for sure... the signal strength of the FM transmitters is limited by the FCC, so you're kinda screwed there. A direct wire-to-wire signal transfer would be great, no doubt. I just read a review of the new Honda Element, that comes standard with a stereo mini jack (1/8") input for the stereo. That means that you can take anything with a headphone output, and plug it into the car with a $3 mini-to-mini cable from RadioShack. MiniDisc, mp3, CD, tape, DAT, whatever. Sounds like a great idea to me...

point noted.

definately more like the Cayenne or lightning. I don't know much about the Ipod.

I like the idea of the mini plug, we used to have to pull the pre amp in RCA's out of the back of the aftermarket recievers and run it that way, no dice on the rental car. The tape adapters are better than soundfeeders but many rentals don't have tape decks any more.

RF modulators are still used with some CD changers and XM/Sirus radio installations and it works fine but it's a bootleg way of doing things. avoiding it if you can would be a good bet but for 20 bucks I'd keep one around if you rent alot just to make sure the bases are covered, hell man in fact I have one at home. I'll ship you mine if you want it. I think I have a tape adapter somewhere too.