recording help

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi Guys:
I figured it was time to buy a 4 or 8 track. Does anyone know anything about the Zoom PS04? Should I consider something else?
Thanks for the help. Price is a concern, but I would rather spend a little more then be frustrated.
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd recommend Korg gear, I've used a few of their stand-alone recorders, and I'm highly impressed. While I've never used Zoom recorders, I hate their guitar FX gear, so I sorta avoid them like SARS.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    I'd recommend Korg gear, I've used a few of their stand-alone recorders, and I'm highly impressed. While I've never used Zoom recorders, I hate their guitar FX gear, so I sorta avoid them like SARS.

Thanks for the heads up. I have read a ton of reviews and half say the ZOOM is great, and half say it is crap. Does Korg offer anything similar?
    I am looking for ease of use, not master quality. Would an old 4 track tpae deck be a bad idea?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    Originally posted by JofZ
    Thanks for the heads up. I have read a ton of reviews and half say the ZOOM is great, and half say it is crap. Does Korg offer anything similar?
    I am looking for ease of use, not master quality. Would an old 4 track tpae deck be a bad idea?

Korg, Fostex, and Tascam all offer small recorders that are pretty easy to use and good quality (for the application, anyways). I would look at new gear if you go the 4-track cassette route... the noise reduction is better, and the signal path is cleaner. Digital is a pretty sweet way to go, though. If you had a good computer, you could get a computer-based interface for about the same price ($300-400) that would offer better quality, more tracks, and the ability to mix directly to CD (if you have a CD-RW drive).
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'd go with the Tascam 788 that EX has for sale ;)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I have a Zoom MRS802 and it works great. I can send you some stuff I goofed around with if you want to hear the sound quality.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I'd go with the Tascam 788 that EX has for sale ;)

The reviews I read were decent. I like the portablility of the ZOOM model, and many said it is great for the price.

I am wondering if I should hold off on a digi recorder, since there will be some pretty neat stuff coming out in the next few months.

I could always just buy a 4 track tape recorder for 99 bones and call it a day for the time being.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

The reviews I read were decent. I like the portablility of the ZOOM model, and many said it is great for the price.

I am wondering if I should hold off on a digi recorder, since there will be some pretty neat stuff coming out in the next few months.

I could always just buy a 4 track tape recorder for 99 bones and call it a day for the time being.

yeah you could do that, then you realize how much you mess up and how often you have to rewind the tape.

My word of advice. if you think you need 4 channels, you'll really need 8.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by BinFrog
    I have a Zoom MRS802 and it works great. I can send you some stuff I goofed around with if you want to hear the sound quality.

That would be a big help. My email is jzdinan540i@aol.com

Have you played around with the palm zoom?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

yeah you could do that, then you realize how much you mess up and how often you have to rewind the tape.

I have 8 and constantly wish I had 16. Oh well, bouncing works for now.
    That would be a big help. My email is jzdinan540i@aol.com

Have you played around with the palm zoom?

not Dinan as in BMW speed shop Dinan is it?

Me mess up? Come on now LOL

There aren't any 8 tracks for 300 bucks or less. I could go used, but I have found new units with warranty's are a good idea for any computer product. Then there is the software version, many used units are running old vesions and can't be upgraded.
    I have the ZOOM manual and I was going to read it this weekend. I really think a digi 4 track would be enough to get my feet wet.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

not Dinan as in BMW speed shop Dinan is it?

You do know your cars Pac :)

I have a 2000 Dinan 540 6 speed, stage 5. I am selling it, its on Ebay if you want to take a look.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

bingo. and i always used up 8 pretty fast.
    You do know your cars Pac :)

I have a 2000 Dinan 540 6 speed, stage 5. I am selling it, its on Ebay if you want to take a look.

Yeah unfortunately due to my insurance man, area I live in current living arangements and the fact that I need a new computer and I have to buy my damn strat as soon as possible I'm in the low $20,000 range for vehicles when I turn 25 in early September.

The most I could hope for would be an S2000 but in all honesty it will probably be a truck because I need one. I'll probably end up with a motorcycle for fun.

On a side note however my buddy just got a dream job with Panoz. He's currently working out arrangements to bolt the new Ford engines with superchargers into the Esperante's. I'm going to see if I can't get a test drive or 4 and a few tickets to some racing events. :)

I'd love to take that stage 5 for a spin. Of all the cars I've actually driven, BMW's are my favorite by far.

Very Nice J I'll give you 18 grand cash for it :)
    Yeah unfortunately due to my insurance man, area I live in current living arangements and the fact that I need a new computer and I have to buy my damn strat as soon as possible I'm in the low $20,000 range for vehicles when I turn 25 in early September.

The most I could hope for would be an S2000 but in all honesty it will probably be a truck because I need one. I'll probably end up with a motorcycle for fun.

On a side note however my buddy just got a dream job with Panoz. He's currently working out arrangements to bolt the new Ford engines with superchargers into the Esperante's. I'm going to see if I can't get a test drive or 4 and a few tickets to some racing events. :)

I'd love to take that stage 5 for a spin. Of all the cars I've actually driven, BMW's are my favorite by far.

Is your buddy at Panoz installing the new GT motors? That project is going to be unreal, get in line now, you wont be dissapointed :)
    I love the 5er, I have owned more BMW's then anything and they offer the best all around package, that was until Chris Bangle decided to fuck the company up. All the new cars are gross to say the least. I hung on the Dinan car too long and with 85K miles it is a hard item to sell. I have over 45K into the car, so that brought the total to just over 90K. I am selling it 5 years latter and I am asking 26K, the reserve is set at 27, but I will take any resonable offers. The car is a tank, it has out performed 911's, M3's and the M5 can't even come close :)

I'll let you drive it, if you can get me into the Panoz factory!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Yeah, he's part of the people responsible for design and making the new GT engines work in the new Panoz vehicles.

Sorry about Bangle, you sure you don't like sharp angles? :)

What are you looking at next?
    Yeah, he's part of the people responsible for design and making the new GT engines work in the new Panoz vehicles.

Sorry about Bangle, you sure you don't like sharp angles? :)

What are you looking at next?

I bought a 996 TT, had it for a couple weeks and flipped for a small profit. Then I picked up a 2000 996 Cab, driving it now, but I am selling it in the next 2 weeks. I leased a WRX STI for the winter in Chicago and I would love to get a new 911 997S for next summer.
    I have an X5 for my wife and I get stuck with stuff all the time, so I can't get to attached to cars, but the Dinan 5er is my baby. I dare anyone to find a car with 85K miles that looks as good as she does :)

The best day will be when BMW announces Bangle has gone on to make popcorn machines, the guy is a real fuck up in every sense of the word. BMW can sell 5 times as many cars with the new design, but they are butt fugly. BMW decided it was no longer important to listen to the loayal buyers they had for decades. Just take a look at the guages from an E28 to the E60. First you had all working manual gauges, an oil temp gauge that was legit, then the E34 it went to a dummy gauge, it would move with increased heat, but it was far from accurate, the E39 the dummy gauge was improved upon and it sat dead center unless it broke serious heat thresholds, now in the E60 you guessed it no oil gauge at all. With I drive and all the other computers you are complety detached from the experience.
    OK enough :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

All I know is I love my A4 3.0, even if it is an automatic.
    Originally posted by BinFrog
    All I know is I love my A4 3.0, even if it is an automatic.

Great car, you have a quattro?

I am a huge fan of the upcoming models, the new A8 is simply a pleasure to drive and look at.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Great car, you have a quattro?

I am a huge fan of the upcoming models, the new A8 is simply a pleasure to drive and look at.

Yup, quattro. With the upgraded 10-speaker Bose 5-disc cd stereo (200W), platinum leather seats and sunroof to boot :)
    yeah sorry, I'm a huge porsche fan too.

But damn if I'm not attracted to Ferrari Red. Have you test driven the 360 modena yet? For the money you could get a 911 GT2 but seeing those bright red valve covers under glass in the back is just sharp. I've always loved the Enzo and the Ferrari V12 exhaust note. My sister is working with an exchange student who's parents work for Ferrari (she's from Modena, Italy)

I asked her if she could get me a job.

I saw fords new GT at the recent auto show and it also looks very very nice but so did the new Porsche supercar.

You could get a Ford GT for about $150,000 if you could find someone to sell it to you I think this years all gone, I'm sure you could clear it with the wife. just sell 2 or 3 of the other cars, space, comfort and cockpit vision are so overrated.

Oh if you get a chance and you find one, Definately check out the now USA bound Lotus Elise. I think it could stand to have a couple of turbos bolted on but what do I know. It's potentially the best go kart in history.
    This conversation has probably turned into "Gearhead" territory...

I have an Isuzu and a Volkswagen, does that count?

I'm waiting for an STi Legacy sedan with a 6-speed... boxer motor, close to 50/50 weight distribution, AWD...

Like a Porshe, but better on your insurance bill.
    yeah sorry, I'm a huge porsche fan too.

But damn if I'm not attracted to Ferrari Red. Have you test driven the 360 modena yet? For the money you could get a 911 GT2 but seeing those bright red valve covers under glass in the back is just sharp. I've always loved the Enzo and the Ferrari V12 exhaust note. My sister is working with an exchange student who's parents work for Ferrari (she's from Modena, Italy)

I asked her if she could get me a job.

I saw fords new GT at the recent auto show and it also looks very very nice but so did the new Porsche supercar.

You could get a Ford GT for about $150,000 if you could find someone to sell it to you I think this years all gone, I'm sure you could clear it with the wife. just sell 2 or 3 of the other cars, space, comfort and cockpit vision are so overrated.

Oh if you get a chance and you find one, Definately check out the now USA bound Lotus Elise. I think it could stand to have a couple of turbos bolted on but what do I know. It's potentially the best go kart in history.

I am actually trying to get myself back to reality. Cars are great, but I wish someone else would maintain them for me :)

I have a GT slot, I am probably selling it since I can double my money. Some very famous people are trying very hard to obtain one, and well I can pretty much name my price. The car is amazing, but a 150K Ford is kinda an oxymoron.

The Gt2 and GT3 are great track cars, but with Chicago winters and the lack of AWD the cars are just not a daily driver. The GT2 is out of price range.

I actually ordered an 05 STI and I am looking forward to a nice winter for a change.

The Lotus is a great car for the track as well, but it is very small and has little to no creature comforts. A good friend of mine works with Lotus racing and he claims if I am paitent I can obtain a finished car from the team, not that would be something worth buying. Lotus will probably team up with the engine provider to cover warranty and serivce stuff, since Lotus at last count had 11 dealerships left in the US.

The best car dollar for dollar is the STI, followed by the EVO, followed by the M3.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?