Fulltone Tape Echo

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Would anyone consider this an investment? With such limited units being made and the high price tag, I am considering picking a couple up to put away. Anyone have any thoughts?
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    well, is it a good unit, of course. it's up to Mike if and when he stop's building it.

I can tell you early Fulltone stuff is crazy on Ebay now.

Who's to say it won't go up in value. You just have to judge the market on it. I don't feel comfortable telling you that a $2000 investment of two very good units is going to yield a big return.

I know when George Tripps quit Way Huge his stuff went insane. It just depends on the market.

I'd just get one if I were you unless you just have a bunch of extra cash.

If you want to invest guitars or amps are probably a better investment than effects however good they are.

Time will tell though. I just wonder the willingness of the increasingly digital comfortable market to buy a 1000+ analog echo no matter how good it is.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    well, is it a good unit, of course. it's up to Mike if and when he stop's building it.

I can tell you early Fulltone stuff is crazy on Ebay now.

Who's to say it won't go up in value. You just have to judge the market on it. I don't feel comfortable telling you that a $2000 investment of two very good units is going to yield a big return.

I know when George Tripps quit Way Huge his stuff went insane. It just depends on the market.

I'd just get one if I were you unless you just have a bunch of extra cash.

If you want to invest guitars or amps are probably a better investment than effects however good they are.

Time will tell though. I just wonder the willingness of the increasingly digital comfortable market to buy a 1000+ analog echo no matter how good it is.

Very good point, I do know they sold out of the first batch without any effort. The second batch is almost sold out as well and something tells me there wont be very many more made. I agree with you that most wont spend the cash on analog, but many said that in the past about many boutique and vintage items.
    I think I will buy one to sit on, but we both know its going to wind up on my board, so maybe 2 is the way to go.
    It is an investment right? Tell me I am not crazy.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by JofZ
    Very good point, I do know they sold out of the first batch without any effort. The second batch is almost sold out as well and something tells me there wont be very many more made. I agree with you that most wont spend the cash on analog, but many said that in the past about many boutique and vintage items.
    I think I will buy one to sit on, but we both know its going to wind up on my board, so maybe 2 is the way to go.
    It is an investment right? Tell me I am not crazy.

one is fine to use. Fulltones are built like tanks. Unless you tour with it and beat the hell out of it. It will still be good to sell later on. I'm sure you know of the cassette advances over the older tube Echoplex it replaces.

The Fulltone is built to gig. People want to take that rich analog echo tone with them and then there are others buying them with hopes that they will become as coveted a studio item as the Echoplex. Then there are others equipping their studio with a better built version of the Echoplex.

Essentially you can't go wrong. There will probably always be a market. Someone will want it. You'll always find someone to pay you a grand and get your money back, I just don't know how far they will go over that.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by JofZ
    Tell me I am not crazy.

You ARE Crazy! 2 grand is a lotta dough. Your money though. I'd go with one if I had the cash.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    one is fine to use. Fulltones are built like tanks. Unless you tour with it and beat the hell out of it. It will still be good to sell later on. I'm sure you know of the cassette advances over the older tube Echoplex it replaces.

The Fulltone is built to gig. People want to take that rich analog echo tone with them and then there are others buying them with hopes that they will become as coveted a studio item as the Echoplex. Then there are others equipping their studio with a better built version of the Echoplex.

Essentially you can't go wrong. There will probably always be a market. Someone will want it. You'll always find someone to pay you a grand and get your money back, I just don't know how far they will go over that.

I am going to think about it over the weekend and I'll let you know what I decide, thanks man!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Originally posted by LemonYellowSun
    You ARE Crazy! 2 grand is a lotta dough. Your money though. I'd go with one if I had the cash.

You gotta spend money to make it :)
    If you can make a 15-25% return on an investment then it was a good one.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?