I need some Muff!

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I wanted a big muff for a while now, checked out various clones and of course the EH varients and I ordered the Skreddy Ernie yesterday.
Skreddy aka Marc Ahlfs is Mr. Muff, he was highly recommended to me by some other builders. I checked out his stuff, and decided on the Ernie.

The Ernie is based on the lambs head muff, it is a 4 silicon transistor old school fuzz with thick and articulate fuzz and gobs of sustain.

It was hard to pick just one, as Marc has the Zero as well.

Check out his stuff I think you all will be really impressed!

http://happybob.com/marc/skreddy_pedals_ernie.htm
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah well who couldn't use a little more muff eh?

I was intrigued by the ICBM fuzz too. I'd just like to hear it to hear the difference.

Skreddy rocks balls.

It should be really loud, really splatty angry PHAT 70's fuzzy madness.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah well who couldn't use a little more muff eh?

I was intrigued by the ICBM fuzz too. I'd just like to hear it to hear the difference.

Skreddy rocks balls.

It should be really loud, really splatty angry PHAT 70's fuzzy madness.
    Exactly, everything you love about muff. I was in between on all of them, there is a tour box getting ready to roll out. I will send you the details and you can try them all if you want.
    ICBM
    Foxy
    Russian something or other
    There must be 50 muff clones
    Ever play the cream puff?
    I was super close to getting a Mayo, but the parts aren't avilable and he can't get the batch he just got in to work right. I was 3rd on the Mayo list, and he said it is dead for ever. Oh well, maybe I can grab one used one day.
    I figure for Corgan and Gilmour a lambs head will do just fine :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    Exactly, everything you love about muff. I was in between on all of them, there is a tour box getting ready to roll out. I will send you the details and you can try them all if you want.
    ICBM
    Foxy
    Russian something or other
    There must be 50 muff clones
    Ever play the cream puff?
    I was super close to getting a Mayo, but the parts aren't avilable and he can't get the batch he just got in to work right. I was 3rd on the Mayo list, and he said it is dead for ever. Oh well, maybe I can grab one used one day.
    I figure for Corgan and Gilmour a lambs head will do just fine :)

cream puff is Frantone right?

yeah you should do well. too bad on the mayo.

you should get some lambs wool chaps and wear a shirt that says P A G A N when you play it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    cream puff is Frantone right?

yeah you should do well. too bad on the mayo.

you should get some lambs wool chaps and wear a shirt that says P A G A N when you play it.
    Yes, Frantone makes the pink cream puff. I think it is hysterical how many guys have a pink pedal called cream puff on their borads :)

It is too bad on the Mayo, it is the best muff I have ever heard.

I was going to start by breaking it in with a sacrifce to the tone Gods, maybe a huge fire pit and some pipe organs for back ground music. Then I have to get the wife to OK the costume LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• can any of you guys recommend a fuzz that'll get me a tone similar to rivers cuomo's from the first two weezer records? it's not really hairy or wild, just a nice creamy mix of fuzz and distortion, really smooth but with a nice texture on top.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
    can any of you guys recommend a fuzz that'll get me a tone similar to rivers cuomo's from the first two weezer records? it's not really hairy or wild, just a nice creamy mix of fuzz and distortion, really smooth but with a nice texture on top.

The 2 smoothest fuzz boxes I have heard are the Analogman Sun Face NKT 275 and the lovepedal Black Beauty Balance.
    The BBB can do so many tones from range master to fuzz face even tweeds. Yet is is smooth all the time, it is a boost and fuzz combined.

lovepedal.com for more info.

I am not sure what pedals Weezer used, but I am sure someone around here knows.
    If not try thegearpage.net
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    JofZ wrote:
    The 2 smoothest fuzz boxes I have heard are the Analogman Sun Face NKT 275 ....

which i now own. i'm not sure how much i love it yet but it's the closest i've gotten so far to the fuzz i hear in my head. having the sundial bias control is a very nice touch.

i'm beginning to worry that i just don't have the hands to make the most of a fuzz though.
    I'm about to have a Pacomac fire sale. I'm buying a new Tacoma today so buying anything means selling first. My two keeley's are great, but they both aren't quite my thing, the Barber is cleaner so it stays. I'll probably get an LTD or some kind of clean boost, or I'll go nuts and use the money for a Sun Face and a wiggler. maybe a BBB
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I'm about to have a Pacomac fire sale. I'm buying a new Tacoma today so buying anything means selling first. My two keeley's are great, but they both aren't quite my thing, the Barber is cleaner so it stays. I'll probably get an LTD or some kind of clean boost, or I'll go nuts and use the money for a Sun Face and a wiggler. maybe a BBB

don't worry, once you get over the initial harsh of selling the collection, it gets to be rather refreshing.

i kept my ernie ball volume, TU-2, sunface, phase90, rust booster and DL4. everything else is gone or going.

my pharaoh boost, DOD delay and DS-1 are too gibbled to sell so they're just going into a box.