a memo from Gibson

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Posted on another site..

Sounds like someone is a little upset!
posted August 18, 2004 02:13 PM
Here's the memo:

Recently you received a letter from Gibson regarding significant changes in the company's web policy. Gibson's intent is to drive more customers into your store, thus making your store a destination location. It has always been Gibson's desire to have sales of their instruments be done on a personal level, not on a "point and click" shopping cart level. It is only when the end consumer interacts with your sales staff can the "Gibson story" be told, and an instrument be truly matched to that individual consumer's personal needs.

Pursuant to that goal, and effective immediately, all authorized Gibson & Epiphone dealers are expected to comply with the following:

Internet sales of all new Gibson Brand instruments and products, including Gibson USA, Gibson Montana, Gibson Memphis, Gibson OAI, Slingerland, Tobias, Gibson Custom/Historic, Epiphone, Valley Arts, Gibson Strings and Accessories are to cease immediately.
All authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to advertise that they are an "AUTHORIZED GIBSON DEALER" and link to the Gibson website, http://www.gibson.com.
Photos of "in-stock" instruments currently in dealer's inventory will not be allowed to be published on dealer's website.
Consumers are to be encouraged to actually visit the store to purchase instruments, or contact the store regarding a purchase via phone or email. Authorized GMI dealers will be allowed to email consumers photos of specific guitars in dealer's inventory.
Specific artwork and advertising templates for authorized dealers will be made available for dealer's use on their websites. These materials will be made available for download on Gibson's internet press site, http://www.gibson.com/press.
Advertising outside of dealer's immediate market area as specified in the Gibson Dealer Agreement will not be allowed. This includes (but not limited to) any printed materials such as catalogs, flyers, etc. If there is a question as to your specific market area, please contact XXXXXXXXXXX at Gibson, XXXXXXXXXXX, XXXX.
Sales of new Gibson brand instruments at guitar shows, music events, concerts, music festivals, etc. outside of dealer's approved market area are not allowed.
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    with thier quality control. I'd think they'd want to go directly on web sales.

I'm a salesman, they don't want me telling "The Gibson Story"

It's gonna be. Hey kid, why pay 4 grand for that guitar just because mr. Famous plays it. This guitar is built well with better pickups a brilliant setup and better tuners and it's oh $500 cheaper. Gibson is a gigantic marketing giant and a shell of it's former self. If you want a great Gibson at a good price, find one that pre dates 1990 or get an Epiphone Elite. This is coming from a Gibson player too. In all honesty they are completely trading on their name alone, they are no longer the best guitars to buy.

As far as Gibson acoustics........why the hell wouldn't I buy a Martin or a Taylor or a Larivee or insert your custom shop here _________. So what if Townsend and Lennon played them. Untill they stop building guitars with awful "vintage" read (crap) tuning machines and they are cutting corners on their Memphis line to maximise profit on thier guitars they will continue to lose ground to PRS, and Fender (who have their own issues), and Schecter and Tokai and the lot of them.

People have choices now, they need a better reason to choose Gibson other than just the name and the paint job. Their guitars are priced too damn high for what they are and that's why they are losing business left and right.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    with thier quality control. I'd think they'd want to go directly on web sales.

I'm a salesman, they don't want me telling "The Gibson Story"

It's gonna be. Hey kid, why pay 4 grand for that guitar just because mr. Famous plays it. This guitar is built well with better pickups a brilliant setup and better tuners and it's oh $500 cheaper. Gibson is a gigantic marketing giant and a shell of it's former self. If you want a great Gibson at a good price, find one that pre dates 1990 or get an Epiphone Elite. This is coming from a Gibson player too. In all honesty they are completely trading on their name alone, they are no longer the best guitars to buy.

As far as Gibson acoustics........why the hell wouldn't I buy a Martin or a Taylor or a Larivee or insert your custom shop here _________. So what if Townsend and Lennon played them. Untill they stop building guitars with awful "vintage" read (crap) tuning machines and they are cutting corners on their Memphis line to maximise profit on thier guitars they will continue to lose ground to PRS, and Fender (who have their own issues), and Schecter and Tokai and the lot of them.

People have choices now, they need a better reason to choose Gibson other than just the name and the paint job. Their guitars are priced too damn high for what they are and that's why they are losing business left and right.

I thought you would get a kick out of the memo. It makes no sense, as you said the Gibson story isn't one to tell.
    Wasn't Mr.Page completley unhappy with his previous sig. model? I read stories he tried to pull it from them. I guess this explains why he was so invloved in the new sig model and the 25K price tag is an absolute joke.

PRS has their shit together.

After looking at numerous LP's it would be a huge mistake to buy a new RI, when you can pretty much name your axe for $3800.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    Originally posted by JofZ
    I thought you would get a kick out of the memo. It makes no sense, as you said the Gibson story isn't one to tell.
    Wasn't Mr.Page completley unhappy with his previous sig. model? I read stories he tried to pull it from them. I guess this explains why he was so invloved in the new sig model and the 25K price tag is an absolute joke.

PRS has their shit together.

After looking at numerous LP's it would be a huge mistake to buy a new RI, when you can pretty much name your axe for $3800.

don't get me wrong, I love gibson's as much as the next player, just not Gibson the corporation and the way they do business.

Peter Frampton was also unhappy with his sig production model saying it was nothing like the custom shop version he plays again, cutting costs on production. I will pay for quality. I pay lots more for my pedals and I payed a hell of a lot for a very well built amplifier. I will pay plenty for a well built gibson I just think they should be ashamed for completely trading off thier name using cheap woods and inlay and making you pay huge dollars to get slight upgrades.

You really have to ask yourself. Is a Tom Murphy finish really worth 10 grand?

Some of the best Gibsons ever were the most simple. Like Ed's SG Jr or Pete Townsends SG special. There was a time when Gibson really was Iconic and everyone played them. Look around the stars of today are playing PRS's. Gee how'd that happen? Some astute young go getter set out to and acomplished building a better guitar than Gibson and succeded.

My major problems with Gibson and Marshall alike, are charging to much for what you recieve. There are other people doing it better for less. They need to compete in the quality department.

I find it in poor taste Gibson would sue a guitar maker that named a guitar after perhaps the greatest president in Gibson company history namely Ted McCarty.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    don't get me wrong, I love gibson's as much as the next player, just not Gibson the corporation and the way they do business.

Peter Frampton was also unhappy with his sig production model saying it was nothing like the custom shop version he plays again, cutting costs on production. I will pay for quality. I pay lots more for my pedals and I payed a hell of a lot for a very well built amplifier. I will pay plenty for a well built gibson I just think they should be ashamed for completely trading off thier name using cheap woods and inlay and making you pay huge dollars to get slight upgrades.

You really have to ask yourself. Is a Tom Murphy finish really worth 10 grand?

Some of the best Gibsons ever were the most simple. Like Ed's SG Jr or Pete Townsends SG special. There was a time when Gibson really was Iconic and everyone played them. Look around the stars of today are playing PRS's. Gee how'd that happen? Some astute young go getter set out to and acomplished building a better guitar than Gibson and succeded.

My major problems with Gibson and Marshall alike, are charging to much for what you recieve. There are other people doing it better for less. They need to compete in the quality department.

I find it in poor taste Gibson would sue a guitar maker that named a guitar after perhaps the greatest president in Gibson company history namely Ted McCarty.

Most of this as you said is due to the fact that Gibson is a huge corporation. Some of the quality issues have to do with cutting costs for a bigger bottom line, but I also believe that the wood is getting crappier by the day and companies that sell high volume are going to have to use cheaper materials.

Marshall like Gibson has decided its easier to make money off the legend then off the product. People are familiar with the name Gibson and they probably could earn a very nice revenue stream from those sales alone.

I find it to be a joke that they would sue, but then again its not my living at stake. Its easy to look at things with jaded lenses on as a consumer. I am not supporting what they did, but I can understand why they did it.

As a consumer you have to be educated, which makes a board like this even more valuable. Asking questions, not being afraid to ask dumb ones will only empower you. Would I buy a $10,000 New Gibson, no way I would go vintage and hire a buyer if I had that kind of cash. So who buys these expensive custom jobs? I haven't a clue, except for maybe kids of weathly folks.

I think the nicest product Gibson has is the LP Jr. Pricey, but the tone is worth it.

It gets better, Muscians Friend will be allowed to continue internet sales, all the little guys will be forced to take them down.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Likely this is an argument between Gibson and Musicians Friend or another online company dealing with pricing or advertised pricing what have you. It could also deal with returns or whatever deal gibson is giving them. It could even be that they aren't moving enough product online because who's buying a 2 thousand dollar guitar sight unseen?

Gibson is notorious for that kind of contract negociations. They have the biggest ego in the business. and often pull their product out of stores when they don't ge there way. A year or so went by and Gibson was back in GC. along with Mesa Boogie who got a little bigger and recinded the 1 dealer a state policy. Mesa Boogie. Now there's an example of a company doing things right. Quality, service, value. You got the budget Mesa and I think you're still pretty happy with it right? Put it up against a Marshall DSL 40 and note the difference. It's huge.

It's just ashamed, companies that used to be the hallmark of creativity and tone have slipped into cost cutting for profits. I don't begrudge making a profit at all just give me quality and value.

The value for quality is where all those companies lack lack.
    Likely this is an argument between Gibson and Musicians Friend or another online company dealing with pricing or advertised pricing what have you. It could also deal with returns or whatever deal gibson is giving them. It could even be that they aren't moving enough product online because who's buying a 2 thousand dollar guitar sight unseen?

Gibson is notorious for that kind of contract negociations. They have the biggest ego in the business. and often pull their product out of stores when they don't ge there way. A year or so went by and Gibson was back in GC. along with Mesa Boogie who got a little bigger and recinded the 1 dealer a state policy. Mesa Boogie. Now there's an example of a company doing things right. Quality, service, value. You got the budget Mesa and I think you're still pretty happy with it right? Put it up against a Marshall DSL 40 and note the difference. It's huge.

It's just ashamed, companies that used to be the hallmark of creativity and tone have slipped into cost cutting for profits. I don't begrudge making a profit at all just give me quality and value.

The value for quality is where all those companies lack lack.

It makes sense, MF moves more product then anyone. Are they owned by GC? I am pretty sure they are, so there you have it.

Yep, still have and love the Mesa. YOu can't get better tone for the money. Its weird, go to to the next level my budget has to triple at least. My next amp will be a vintage tweed Fender or a Matchless C-30.

I think the difference between the boutique companies and the big co's is obvious, and it shows in the end product. A company with a few employees has a lot less operating expenses. Combine this with a bigger incentive to build good products and you have what you are looking for. On top of that, the big companies don't have any of the founders working on a daily basis. I am sure there are Gibson family members, but are they on the shop floor or in an office playing big shot? Thats why these guys out their name on the product, they are proud of what they built. Regarldless of the product or industry, the smaller guy costs more but will produce a better product with better customer service.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    You knew once Gibson won its lawsuit against PRS things were going to change.

These dealerships are going to be like a trip to a Guitar Center store. Only they'll get to brag about what "star" musician was in their store.

yuck. Bring back online shopping. Oh wait I get mind free, sorry.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Those fuckers are gonna get every bit of what they deserve...

If I wanted a Les Paul, I'd buy a McCarty. Plain and simple. If I wanted a Marshall, I'd buy an Orange. If I wanted a Fender, I'd buy... oh, wait, I'd buy a Fender. But most likely a Mexican Fender.

I'd pay a lot more attention to G&L, Victoria, Bad Cat, Dr. Z...

Players who would love to have a '62 SG plugged into a Marshall Plexi are playing PRS McCarty's into Mesa Boogie Dual-Rectifiers. But there are still idiots out there buying the reissued SG and the reissued JTM 45. Blows my mind.

Seeing the factory set-ups on Gibsons lately, they'd be much better selling them catalog and letting local guys perform proper set-ups. If I was going to spend $2400 on a new reissued '57 Goldtop Les Paul, I'd be adding another $150 for a good setup and replacement saddles in that price. Their fretwork is horrible, their bridges and saddles are chintzy, their nuts are carved with a dull butter knife... their wiring is done by drunk monkeys on crack...

Outside trapezoidal inlays and the Classic 57 humbucker, I don't think Gibson has much left to offer a real musician.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Those fuckers are gonna get every bit of what they deserve...

If I wanted a Les Paul, I'd buy a McCarty. Plain and simple. If I wanted a Marshall, I'd buy an Orange. If I wanted a Fender, I'd buy... oh, wait, I'd buy a Fender. But most likely a Mexican Fender.

I'd pay a lot more attention to G&L, Victoria, Bad Cat, Dr. Z...

Players who would love to have a '62 SG plugged into a Marshall Plexi are playing PRS McCarty's into Mesa Boogie Dual-Rectifiers. But there are still idiots out there buying the reissued SG and the reissued JTM 45. Blows my mind.

Seeing the factory set-ups on Gibsons lately, they'd be much better selling them catalog and letting local guys perform proper set-ups. If I was going to spend $2400 on a new reissued '57 Goldtop Les Paul, I'd be adding another $150 for a good setup and replacement saddles in that price. Their fretwork is horrible, their bridges and saddles are chintzy, their nuts are carved with a dull butter knife... their wiring is done by drunk monkeys on crack...

Outside trapezoidal inlays and the Classic 57 humbucker, I don't think Gibson has much left to offer a real musician.

precisely. The 600 dollar Korean made Schecters come with seymour duncans, excellent setups Grover machine heads push pull phase and coil splitters, a piezo pickup if you want it, Tone pros bridge and neck through construction. If it wasn't so damn "metal" looking and the fret board was more rounded I'd buy a schecter semi hollowbody in a heartbeat. I'm beginning to see why ol Pete made the swap back in the early 80's

People are spending 600 bucks on top of the 2500 bucks to get their Gibsons right. The McCarty, was smaller, rounder more comfortable to play just as rich and tonefull and beautiful to boot. I was considering getting a cheap Soapbar SE and dropping in Lindy Fralins some locking tuners and some graph tech saddles. all in all probably would cost me around 800 bucks. Thanks, Gibson.