My pedal board as of 10/6, BJF related :)

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
The first pic is of my board in a state of change LOL:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/IMG_0575.jpg

You will notice some custom BJ pedals, here are some close ups:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/IMG_0573.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/IMG_0574.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/IMG_0571.jpg

Some details for those interested:
I have no idea what a PPP is ;)

The DOD aka DRD is a custom paint job that BJ did for me. The orange really pops and kudos to Donner for the excellent paint job. If you like high gain with harmonics then I can't think of another pedal. You can dial in gain for days, or dial it out this pedal covers just about all rock type music in one box.
The CAF is BJ's personal box, he sent it to me after I told him I wanted a sunburst finish to match the les paul. You can't see it in the photo, but there is binding all the way around it and fleks just like my eastern maple top, again kudos to Donner.
The MGMV is the one! I say it all the time I know, but this box just inspires me to play. It has vibe all to its own, it is not a univibe at all. It is also organic and if you stack the PPP and MGMV watch out, you'll play for hours and hours. I was just messing with feedback yesterday for what turned out to be the entire afternoon. It shines when you are doing fills, sustain for days and then they start to echo and vibe into one another, just fantastic.

As of late last night, BJ and I redid my board. I'll get some pics up. I am running my pedals as follows:
Pale Green Comp > Peterson Strobo > MGMV > Pic Wah > RRB > CAF > AM Sun Face > Skreddy Ernie > Lovepedal Eternity > EGDM > DOD > LGW > HB > PPP > AM Clone Chorus > SBEQ into amp.

I can nail just about any tone I want, plus any tone in my head is a achievable.

I have had the new Germino Classic 45 now for over a week and all I can say is Greg is the man. Any amp that creates this much lust has to be worth the 2K. My wife comes in and she smiles, she actually is diggin what she is hearing. I am confident with my new rig, everything is just working. So with that I am off to tinker and fuck it up LOL

On a side note, I have been in the hospital for the last week. I had a terrible bacterial infection that wound up in my neck. My lymph nodes grew to the size of grapefruit. I had an operation and was released yesterday. I got home and the first thing I did was crank the Germino. I had to call Greg to tell him :) He is one hell of a guy and I really, really, encourage everyone to save every dollar and try one of his amps ;)

It has been a hard long year, first my dog got cancer and now this, so I am happy to say everyone including my puppy is doing well. Life is short, so play hard. I have always had hobbies and interests, but I have never been so pleased by such a group as I have by the online forum of Musicians and gearheads, from builders to players all of you guys are great. I was shocked by some of the calls I got. Thank you to everyone for your concern.

I have been working with David Main and we are almost there, I am proud to have friends like you guys and even more proud to have a group of builders willing and able to support my family. The Kuma pedal will be built!

So I am back!!!
And if anyone is looking for the HOB boot shoot me a PM :)
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    SON OF A BITCH!!!!!! GAS starts here, warning do not open the pics if you are subject to gear envy or lust.

Looks like the wifey is a Germino gal, can't say I blame her.

That is gorgeous. I just took pics of my new board.

you sir a tone consious bastard, but a bastard none the less :D

oh and you're damn right I want a HOB Boot.

now, what does PPP stand for and what can it do? ;)

very glad you're ok and doing well and have some new toyz to enjoy the short time we're here.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • OMFG!! That is insane!!

That board has to be worth between 2000$ and 4000$, wow
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • You should put something like a mini-Danelectro Hash Browns flanger or something like that on your board... it'd be funny...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    You should put something like a mini-Danelectro Hash Browns flanger or something like that on your board... it'd be funny...

done, I have one to mail you J.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i just started to play guitar

i hope one day i'll understand all this guitar-speak ;)
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107577

here's a clip of the eternity just one of the ridiculously awesome pedals in that set up.

Jason, I need to know which one the honey bee, the baby blue, the LGW or the Eternity you like best with a strat.

this would look good next to the allen and the germino ;)

http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.storefront/4355c95d009425482741d94dcd010620/Product/View/12000
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    The board didn't happen over night and the investment was for tone :) or at least that is what I tell my self LOL
    I have gone through so many boutique pedals in the last 18 months or so and I feel that these give me the best tones for what I play, mostly rock, blues and classic rock. If I had to pick one pedal and one pedal only it would be the Honey Bee as there just isn't anything like it anywhere and I always keep reaching for it. I like to use it for Page tone and if I am going for Zep 1 I stack it with a tone bender that isn't on my board and use my strat, anything later and I use the LP and just crank up the Germino and leave the tone bender off and it really nails Page. Open G has never sounded so good LOL.

The beauty of Bjorn's pedals is that they work with any rig, humbuckers, singlecoils, it makes no difference. At first I thought it was just an accident, that maybe I was picking pedals that worked well with both rigs, but I can tell you guys all of his pedals work with both rigs. BJ's pedals offer me inspiration I just don't find from anyone else and I guess for that reason alone it is worth the price of admission.

The colors are a big part of the pedal. Greens are British, Blues are American, and Reds are British. Greens tend to be my favorite and since there is some overlap in some of his pedals I thought it was best to get the ones that produced tones that were unattainable from anyone else.

Pac, since you love the EGDM I would say the Honey Bee would be right up your alley.
    The honey bee sounds like a small tube amp, think Supro cranked.
    The DRD is a higher gain pedal that covers the spectrum, it requires some tweaking obviously if it is the only one you have, but I honestly think this one pedal can do it all and it does it with harmonics I have only found with the Eternitiy.

lastly, BJ tends to build his pedals for people who hate em. So if you really want a comp, but hate em then you'll probably love the PGC as it is silent and goes from Ross to squash. It was built for a Beatles cover band. The LGW is a TS for people who hate TS.
    I haven't heard the BBOD in person, but since I play a Fender BF clone I felt it would be a little redundant.
    For those who want to hear a pro using his stuff, just look up Tomo. He and I have the same rig, actually there are only a handful of guys who have the PGC and SBEQ and you'll hear it in his tone. The PPP and MGMV are fun pedals, but the gimic doesn't wear off like most phasers and vibes. What I mean is, outsidse of the vintage tone we all know and love that come from Script 90s, Small Stones and Univibes there are just so many cool tones that are available it is silly.

I was told by more then one player that having a huge board is a waste if you don't have a good foundation. I totally agree, but the one thing no one told me was how much you learn about tone from playing around with your set up and different pedals and amps. I know the resources usually dictate the outcome, but I can honestly say that there are great rigs available for any budget.

I hoep this helps, and if anyone wants to give me a bad monkey I will toss it on there :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    exhausted wrote:

*claps* well done.

J, thanks for the info. As far as the board is concerned and foundation what have you clearly you have to have a good one, but once you do, it's about expression, each one of those pedals has soul, each one is living and breathing and a different instrument. I'd say the BBOD is probably fendery exactly as you describe. The EGDM is a smooth super harmonic AC30 top boost flavor od and then the Red (Dynamic Red) has loads more gain available, I think it could do the brown sound thing really well and deliver most else what you want.

That's a fantastic board, I can't really think of a good reason to sell any of those for the next 20 years regardless of how technology changes, (especially given the recent and absolutely ridiculous $5000 WH Camel Toe) Well worth whatever blood sweat and tears you have in it, Perhaps more impressive might be the list of pedals that got knocked off that board. In any case it's a dream setup, I doubt you'll stop shopping, but pretty much any tone you hear or can think up you can probably find tweaking knobs on that board. I spent over an hour helping out a friends guitar player the other day, it amazes me people are afraid to turn knobs, they're yours now explore find out what they do!! That rig is just one of those things you can fire up and ring out an E chord and have the instant ear to ear grin, just like dropping the needle into the groove and hearing Paige go through the opening to "Since I've been Loving You" or hearing the Band of Gypsies blister a set at The Filmore East. Congrats. The sale of my DL4 and DD should cover the cost of a honey bee. :D
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Pacomc79 wrote:
    *claps* well done.

J, thanks for the info. As far as the board is concerned and foundation what have you clearly you have to have a good one, but once you do, it's about expression, each one of those pedals has soul, each one is living and breathing and a different instrument. I'd say the BBOD is probably fendery exactly as you describe. The EGDM is a smooth super harmonic AC30 top boost flavor od and then the Red (Dynamic Red) has loads more gain available, I think it could do the brown sound thing really well and deliver most else what you want.

That's a fantastic board, I can't really think of a good reason to sell any of those for the next 20 years regardless of how technology changes, (especially given the recent and absolutely ridiculous $5000 WH Camel Toe) Well worth whatever blood sweat and tears you have in it, Perhaps more impressive might be the list of pedals that got knocked off that board. In any case it's a dream setup, I doubt you'll stop shopping, but pretty much any tone you hear or can think up you can probably find tweaking knobs on that board. I spent over an hour helping out a friends guitar player the other day, it amazes me people are afraid to turn knobs, they're yours now explore find out what they do!! That rig is just one of those things you can fire up and ring out an E chord and have the instant ear to ear grin, just like dropping the needle into the groove and hearing Paige go through the opening to "Since I've been Loving You" or hearing the Band of Gypsies blister a set at The Filmore East. Congrats. The sale of my DL4 and DD should cover the cost of a honey bee. :D

Thanks man! coming from you it means a lot.
    I remember when I had no clue what I was doing and I owe you much thanks for all the help :)
    I know you will dig the HB, it is that special.

My ebay sale is going to be silly and my wife is forcing me to sell off some stuff I am not using, like the Sybil and Red Witch. I will let you guys know when I get them up.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Thanks man! coming from you it means a lot.
    I remember when I had no clue what I was doing and I owe you much thanks for all the help :)
    I know you will dig the HB, it is that special.

My ebay sale is going to be silly and my wife is forcing me to sell off some stuff I am not using, like the Sybil and Red Witch. I will let you guys know when I get them up.

Ha ha, whenever you finally order the Mad Prof amp, you'll have to ship it to a different zip code :D
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Ha ha, whenever you finally order the Mad Prof amp, you'll have to ship it to a different zip code :D

I better be earning some sort of a living as a player if that amp ever comes my way :)

BJ has some really cool shit coming in the next couple months. I have been talking to him about a baby Mad Prof, with Seans new 1/2 watt on the market I think this is the future. Lets see what happens :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I better be earning some sort of a living as a player if that amp ever comes my way :)

BJ has some really cool shit coming in the next couple months. I have been talking to him about a baby Mad Prof, with Seans new 1/2 watt on the market I think this is the future. Lets see what happens :)

Power scaling is the bomb. The only really good method of attenuation.

Since I got my BJ, I leave the MASS off a lot to hear everything now I need new tubes, be sure to thank him for that. ;)
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Power scaling is the bomb. The only really good method of attenuation.

Since I got my BJ, I leave the MASS off a lot to hear everything now I need new tubes, be sure to thank him for that. ;)

hehehe, I cheat and use 3 pedals to attenuate, it ain't the best but it does work. What kind of tubes do you need? I have some laying around.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    hehehe, I cheat and use 3 pedals to attenuate, it ain't the best but it does work. What kind of tubes do you need? I have some laying around.

EL84's. The EI's are spent big time. I get about 5 minutes of playing in before they start the wierd volume drop thing. I haven't decided whether to change the preamps yet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    EL84's. The EI's are spent big time. I get about 5 minutes of playing in before they start the wierd volume drop thing. I haven't decided whether to change the preamps yet.

I have 6Ls and 6Vs and one spare 34. Have you tapped on them to see which one it is? You know you are going to wind up swapping them all if they are all about the same age. Mike at KCA probably has the new Valve Arts in stock, they are very good new tubes. I think 55 a matched set.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I have 6Ls and 6Vs and one spare 34. Have you tapped on them to see which one it is? You know you are going to wind up swapping them all if they are all about the same age. Mike at KCA probably has the new Valve Arts in stock, they are very good new tubes. I think 55 a matched set.

sounds good, I probably need to bias it just to make sure, but I don't have a meter currently. (ha ha no pun intended)
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    sounds good, I probably need to bias it just to make sure, but I don't have a meter currently. (ha ha no pun intended)

I got a Tenma compact digi multimeter for free and it works well. Drop by Radio Shack and see if they have an open one, it does the trick.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I got a Tenma compact digi multimeter for free and it works well. Drop by Radio Shack and see if they have an open one, it does the trick.

Excellent. I've never done it, but I'm sure it's not rocket surgery.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Excellent. I've never done it, but I'm sure it's not rocket surgery.

If you can read you are 50% there LOL

This is the bias bible!

If you swing the cash for the Allesandro unit, by all means buy it! It is the only simple way I know of.
    Otherwise, in the future buy an ammp with bias jacks and you can use the cheap multimeters :)
    http://www.aikenamps.com/Biasing.html

Knowing what to set the tubes to is really easy and probably in your manual. If not contact the OEM and use a matched set for replacement.

I had to re-bias my Allen 100 times in an afternoon and while it scared me at first, it really is simple.
    I have not opened up the Germino, but it is just a matter of time, I need some GEC KT-66s :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

You were in N.O.?
    I am glad you made it out, if you are still in Chicago shoot me a PM.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• this thread gets my vote for "gearwhore: tone appreaciation thread" of the month.

that is meant as a compliment.
    something i don't do well.

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?

great. did the marshall survive as well?
  • Yes. Thanks god my band's...well old band's now...house was on the second floor. My uncle went to the house about 3 weeks ago put all the musical equipment(my amp, pedals, drum kit, bass, bass amp, vocal amp, etc.) in his suburban and brought it to his house in Destrahan, Louisiana. He said the first floor of the house got flooded pretty bad. Crazy shit.