From now on the wife goes with!

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am never sure if I should take my wife with me to look at potential guitar purchases or not. She could kill the deal for no reason :)
I spent about 3 hours this past Saturday in the car driving to a large Gibson dealer who was kind enough to set aside some peieces for me to look at. My wife the entire ride there was driving me up a wall, you are only going to look right? You don't need anymore guitars do you?
I have to tell you I was close to turning around, but I kept my cool and told her she could have the final decision, she was like sure. I said I swear.
Anyway, we arrive at the store and go inside to find a by appointment only sectioned off area, called The Custom Shop. It was all the way in the back corner, very nice and quiet. The manager was hanging out waiting for me and welcomed me to the store. He had the axes all set up and waiting for me. Nice little selection of amps, a Matchless, olf Gibson TV front and a wooody Fender.
I was a little distracted as they had 2 J 200s in natural finishes sitting side by side, my wife went right for those.
I played the 2 R9s and decided on one and then went to the wife and asked her to sign off on it. This was worse then trying to get a client to close a deal. Eventually she caved, but she kept eyeing the J200. I asked her if she knew how much it was? She said no clue, so I grabbed it and looked for a tag, 12K, marked down to 6100, I laughed and she did to.
The manager boxed up the axe and we headed for the cash register. I figured this was the time to probe him on my dream axe, a very special Murphy. He asked me to come back to his office and he made my dream a reality. I asked him if I could exchange he smiled, so I said I have to wait for the dream axe and pass on this one. He didn't ask for a deposit or anything. I hope to have it some time this summer.
The Gibson program I am reffering to was cancelled in 2003, so I am shocked my order was accepted. I will post details as soon as I can, fo fear the axes won't be delivered I am withholding any details.
I will say this, they are Murphy R9s with some special, special finishes!
Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know if you bring your wife sometimes she will approve. I think having an open relationship is the best policy, so many of my friends order axes, and leave them at their office, sneaking them in over months. I tried that once and had a note waiting for me, I learned my lesson :)

Now I am hoping the J200 will be bought for my birthday, damn is that thing a looker!
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    J200s are great. if she kicks you out, you can sleep in it!!
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    I am never sure if I should take my wife with me to look at potential guitar purchases or not. She could kill the deal for no reason :)
    I spent about 3 hours this past Saturday in the car driving to a large Gibson dealer who was kind enough to set aside some peieces for me to look at. My wife the entire ride there was driving me up a wall, you are only going to look right? You don't need anymore guitars do you?
    I have to tell you I was close to turning around, but I kept my cool and told her she could have the final decision, she was like sure. I said I swear.
    Anyway, we arrive at the store and go inside to find a by appointment only sectioned off area, called The Custom Shop. It was all the way in the back corner, very nice and quiet. The manager was hanging out waiting for me and welcomed me to the store. He had the axes all set up and waiting for me. Nice little selection of amps, a Matchless, olf Gibson TV front and a wooody Fender.
    I was a little distracted as they had 2 J 200s in natural finishes sitting side by side, my wife went right for those.
    I played the 2 R9s and decided on one and then went to the wife and asked her to sign off on it. This was worse then trying to get a client to close a deal. Eventually she caved, but she kept eyeing the J200. I asked her if she knew how much it was? She said no clue, so I grabbed it and looked for a tag, 12K, marked down to 6100, I laughed and she did to.
    The manager boxed up the axe and we headed for the cash register. I figured this was the time to probe him on my dream axe, a very special Murphy. He asked me to come back to his office and he made my dream a reality. I asked him if I could exchange he smiled, so I said I have to wait for the dream axe and pass on this one. He didn't ask for a deposit or anything. I hope to have it some time this summer.
    The Gibson program I am reffering to was cancelled in 2003, so I am shocked my order was accepted. I will post details as soon as I can, fo fear the axes won't be delivered I am withholding any details.
    I will say this, they are Murphy R9s with some special, special finishes!
    Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know if you bring your wife sometimes she will approve. I think having an open relationship is the best policy, so many of my friends order axes, and leave them at their office, sneaking them in over months. I tried that once and had a note waiting for me, I learned my lesson :)

Now I am hoping the J200 will be bought for my birthday, damn is that thing a looker!

I agree. I always let my finace know on gear purchases, plus I value her opinioin on the tone and quality of the things I look at.

She also likes my J200, because it "looks like Sheryl Crow's." I guess that is an okay reason.

I am getting married in three weeks, so she will be the consultant on many more gear purchases in the future.
    There's No Code.
    i've moved on to the "heirlooms for our child" excuse.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    What did the note say?
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    The note was classic, it was short, do you think I was not going to notice the new stuff?
    I figured she would never notice a couple stomp boxes, what a fool I was LOL
    But, I learned the hard way. I buddy of mine called me last Thursday in a huge panic, he asked me to bail him out of not one but 2 very expensive axes. I asked what the deal was and he said boy did I screw up, I had them shipped to my office, but I used the wrong credit card. I had to forward his email to my wife. We had a very good laugh. I called him back and told him to call my wife and ask her for some advice, he never did LOL
    Don't think for a second they wont notice!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    exhausted wrote:
    i've moved on to the "heirlooms for our child" excuse.
    I used that one, it only worked once!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    J200! Murphy R9!!!!!

When (notice the removal of If here) when you get the J200 you must learn the solo acoustic version Pete Townsend did of "Drowned" of of Quadrophenia Live at Royal Albert Hall...."Heart to hang on to" and a few elvis tunes.

Congrats on the special order.

now if only wives were as easy to come by as guitars.....
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    someone needs to explain the whole R8 R9 thing to me. i'm dumb.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    someone needs to explain the whole R8 R9 thing to me. i'm dumb.

We'll tell you when you're older, birds and the bees thing.

neck profiles.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    J200! Murphy R9!!!!!

When (notice the removal of If here) when you get the J200 you must learn the solo acoustic version Pete Townsend did of "Drowned" of of Quadrophenia Live at Royal Albert Hall...."Heart to hang on to" and a few elvis tunes.

I have been working on that version of drowned... beautiful guitar work there. It's also great to play Pinball Wizard on...

What a great guitar!

I have not learned Heart to Hang on To.... that's a good idea.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    J200! Murphy R9!!!!!

Guitars unlike wives usually get better with age ;)

If the J200 shows up I will retreat to a place with no distractions and try and learn a few songs worthy of it. Man what an axe, the thing is a boat though.
    Now the worst part begins, the wait for the call.
    Oh well, maybe I will actually work this week LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Pacomc79 wrote:
    We'll tell you when you're older, birds and the bees thing.

neck profiles.

No one told me :)
    R= Reissue
    Number= year
    R9= Reissue 1959
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?