how much is too much?

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have given it a ton of thought as I have made a bunch of recent gear purchases.
I thought you guys would get a kick out this article:
http://www.xprt.net/~benboom/ampprices.htm

It basically points out in black and white that while gear is super expensive, it isn't really that bad compared to how much this stuff cost back in the 60's.
Take a look and let me know what your cut off is for an amp, a pedal, an axe.
Personally, your pedal board should never total more then your amp :)
But I see it all the time. Second rule of thumb, I only entitle my self to purchases if I put in the practice time. If I play at least an hour a night I am keeping my promise to my self. I can't imagine not playing and buying up all this stuff, but I see it all the time :)
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    "If I play at least an hour a night I am keeping my promise to my self"

When is there time for flyfishing then?

Guitar was $2500
    Amp head will be about $2100 used and around $500 for the cab
    Pedals...don't use them, only thing I have is a Korg tuning pedal $110
    (these prices are in Canadian dollars eh)
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i don't know how much is too much. if i had the money, i'd probably just end up buying more expensive stuff than i already have.

in the end, i should have just bought a nice car. both shitty investments though since i don't own vintage stuff.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    JofZ wrote:
    Personally, your pedal board should never total more then your amp :)

I have single pedals that cost more than my amp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    nailz100 wrote:
    "If I play at least an hour a night I am keeping my promise to my self"

When is there time for flyfishing then?

Guitar was $2500
    Amp head will be about $2100 used and around $500 for the cab
    Pedals...don't use them, only thing I have is a Korg tuning pedal $110
    (these prices are in Canadian dollars eh)

My schedule is crazy, but I always find time for the guitar :)
    I actually get more playing in on fishing trips then at home. I take a shitty travel guitar with me, wade for a few hours and then play to break up the day. I have had really good weather the last few trips :)
    I am getting the road maps out tonight for the June trip, it is going to be like 20+ hours of driving, but it should be a great time. Durango, Telluride and a few stops in between.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Dude, I would so join you if I lived on that side of the country....or IN that country for that matter.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    That is a very interesting link :).

I just dropped 3400 on my new amp. I have spent as much as 3600 for a guitar. Just got a quote for a new guitar that I would like to have made...but at 6 grand I think I am going to have to pass.

A shame really, because that 6k guitar is the culmination of all of my experience playing guitar...one instrument that combines the things I need as a player and as a recording engineer.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    My amp was $500 used, my mustang was $125 used. But my new tele was $1300 and my new strat was $2100.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Oh, forgot about my pedalboard. Rough figure, $1290.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    I actually have no idea if I payed a lot. I'd like to think not. Here's my list, tell me if I payed too much or did some bargains. Note: all in euro's.

used Epiphone Les Paul (some sort of limited edition) with gibson pups: €396
    (hardly ever) used Fender American Standard Telecaster (1993 I believe, or '96, mint condition): €850

used Fender 85 deluxe (solid state, mint): €250
    used Fender Champ (1974-'75, my baby :) ): €250

new Shannon OD: about €150 all in (costums, a fuck up at the bank etc)

So, how did I do?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I have single pedals that cost more than my amp.

You guys think I'm joking, don't you?

Sovtek Mig 50: $130.
    Fender Vibro Champ: $90.
    Fender Musicmaster Bass: $70.

Great tone: (insert cliche here)

For reference, my DD-6 and my DigiVerb were both $149. So, I actually have two pedals that cost more than all three of my amps.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    You guys think I'm joking, don't you?

Sovtek Mig 50: $130.
    Fender Vibro Champ: $90.
    Fender Musicmaster Bass: $70.

Great tone: (insert cliche here)

For reference, my DD-6 and my DigiVerb were both $149. So, I actually have two pedals that cost more than all three of my amps.

you got great deals!
    Most don't have such luck :) or paitence.
    I was going to ask you yesterday what pedal you had that was so damn expensive LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    That's a pretty good article. I guess I AM old, :eek: ,, those years were when I started playing and when I bought my first equipment!

I bought my first guitar when I saw the Stones on Ed Sullivan in maybe 1964?. I wanted to learn to play then,,, so I bought a used Les Paul '57 Goldtop from a high school guy for maybe $250.00 with my paper route money. My dad was pissed that I payed that much for a guitar. When I started playing out in high school I bought a '58 Paul sunburst. They weren't "vintage" then,, just nice guitars.

Who'd a thunk then, that last year I would have sold them for more than a hundred times as much as I bought them for! See dad???? :D

My first amp was a used Fender Deluxe Reverb for a couple of hundred bucks and I beat that thing up and it kept on going for years! It was too small to tour with back then in the 70's because a lot of concerts were drums with no mikes, guitar and bass amps turned up and only the vocals were in a PA system, so that's why all those 100 watters and stacks were popular. That's when I bought an Ampeg SVT 300 watter! :D That had a lot of overhead!

I can't even imagine how much I've spent on gear over the years, and how much I lost and got stolen and gave away, but I used it to make a living,, so I could call all that stuff "tools" instead of "toys"! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I bought my first guitar when I saw the Stones on Ed Sullivan in maybe 1964?. I wanted to learn to play then,,, so I bought a used Les Paul '57 Goldtop from a high school guy for maybe $250.00 with my paper route money. My dad was pissed that I payed that much for a guitar. When I started playing out in high school I bought a '58 Paul sunburst. They weren't "vintage" then,, just nice guitars.

Who'd a thunk then, that last year I would have sold them for more than a hundred times as much as I bought them for! See dad???? :D

My first amp was a used Fender Deluxe Reverb for a couple of hundred bucks and I beat that thing up and it kept on going for years! It was too small to tour with back then in the 70's because a lot of concerts were drums with no mikes, guitar and bass amps turned up and only the vocals were in a PA system, so that's why all those 100 watters and stacks were popular. That's when I bought an Ampeg SVT 300 watter! :D That had a lot of overhead!

I can't even imagine how much I've spent on gear over the years, and how much I lost and got stolen and gave away, but I used it to make a living,, so I could call all that stuff "tools" instead of "toys"! :D

Man, that LP must have been killer!
    Don't tools equal deduction? :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Let's get a drummer into this...

I personally don't purchase anything unless I know it's something that I will be using on a regular basis for rehearsals or gigs. Maybe it's because drummers typically have enough equipment to carry around as it is, and any frivilous knick-knacks just add to the burden of the haul.

Over the last couple years, I've slowly added a couple extra cymbals here and there. Used to just have a single crash, but added a second. And I added a Max Stax for some accenting and color. But my core set-up of a 4-piece Yamaha Stage Custom has stayed the same, bought used for $299.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    JofZ wrote:
    Man, that LP must have been killer!
    Don't tools equal deduction? :)

Yup,,,:D They'd be tax deductible if you claim income.

:o that was a long long time ago! Got paid cash on the road, until tours became more businesslike.
    We all thought it started to suck when they'd write us a paycheck and took out taxes, :mad: (Usually record companies) but they also used to give out Strats and amps like anything for a while. :D

My old Paul's were cool, but not fantastic actual players guitars. Later on, once I started realizing that they were more collectors items than guitars, it wasn't worth it to alter them either. One of the PAF's out of the 2 of the guitars was really good,,, but really, I played better later models and I used to put in Duncan humbuckers that sounded great.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart