MXR actually has something cool coming out...

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Very cool but over priced. A good custom phaser like Red Witch or Shannon etc and a used 3rd hand could probably be had at the same price.

Or I'm sure a really good one could be built into a wah treadle for the same price.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Yah it looks kinda cool.

200 US is pretty pricey though. Especially for a factory pedal.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Yes it is very expensive, but it is cool to see someone doing something interesting and worth a look other then the small shops. BTW, someone is already modding this bad boy ;)

I am selling my Red Witch, I have a small box replacement coming that will do the phase 90 and small stone thing and the inbetween in spades. The Red Witch doesn't do any of that, it is completely different, very nice and organic but all on its own in sound. Good for some things, but I don't have the room to carry it any more. This is the problem with most boxes, they are too big!
    Hats off to Bj for pulling off the impossible :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    Yes it is very expensive, but it is cool to see someone doing something interesting and worth a look other then the small shops. BTW, someone is already modding this bad boy ;)

I am selling my Red Witch, I have a small box replacement coming that will do the phase 90 and small stone thing and the inbetween in spades. The Red Witch doesn't do any of that, it is completely different, very nice and organic but all on its own in sound. Good for some things, but I don't have the room to carry it any more. This is the problem with most boxes, they are too big!
    Hats off to Bj for pulling off the impossible :)

cool, the shannon with it's color knob is solid too. Big, Rich and Thick. What I wanted out of my Boss Phaser. I don't really use it enough now to warrent owning one, especially when I have a EGDM coming soon. (BJ!!!!) and I've decided to forgo the sunface and may be back on the original CC2 plan with the NKT 275 card. I know Bob Sweet has that cool vibe out and so does Love Pedal but the CC2 is made by another good guy and it's exactly what I was looking for there. I'm probably going to look at the 60 from LP and eventually get a wiggler for the leslie stuff.

Nice to see MXR pushing the envelope. Now, lets get some guys building OD's Distortions Fuzzes and Delays on treadles. Pretty soon we'll all be sitting and using both feet.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    cool, the shannon with it's color knob is solid too. Big, Rich and Thick. What I wanted out of my Boss Phaser. I don't really use it enough now to warrent owning one, especially when I have a EGDM coming soon. (BJ!!!!) and I've decided to forgo the sunface and may be back on the original CC2 plan with the NKT 275 card. I know Bob Sweet has that cool vibe out and so does Love Pedal but the CC2 is made by another good guy and it's exactly what I was looking for there. I'm probably going to look at the 60 from LP and eventually get a wiggler for the leslie stuff.

Nice to see MXR pushing the envelope. Now, lets get some guys building OD's Distortions Fuzzes and Delays on treadles. Pretty soon we'll all be sitting and using both feet.
    Exactly, it would be pretty cool to have on treadles. I think sean has a fuzz box built into one. You will love the EGDM, the LGW I got over the weekend is just so right in so many ways. I hated the TS, but not this one. It is pretty cool as the body knob allows you to boost mids or treble and compression is low. It matches up with the Sweet Spot very well. I am going to start stacking tonight.
    I was and still am on a fuzz kick, so depending on what you are looking for I think there are some good boxes to look at. The Sybil is one to look at for sure.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Exactly, it would be pretty cool to have on treadles. I think sean has a fuzz box built into one. You will love the EGDM, the LGW I got over the weekend is just so right in so many ways. I hated the TS, but not this one. It is pretty cool as the body knob allows you to boost mids or treble and compression is low. It matches up with the Sweet Spot very well. I am going to start stacking tonight.
    I was and still am on a fuzz kick, so depending on what you are looking for I think there are some good boxes to look at. The Sybil is one to look at for sure.

One of the reasons I liked Barber was the low compression levels. BJ just seems to know what control you need to get the desired sound. That's what's great about the body knob. Mids or lack thereof are extremely important to the overall tone.

The BBB is on my list of things to check out.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    One of the reasons I liked Barber was the low compression levels. BJ just seems to know what control you need to get the desired sound. That's what's great about the body knob. Mids or lack thereof are extremely important to the overall tone.

All these pedals...

I returned the sparkle drive... too fizzy for my tastes.

I picked up a used Boss Digital Reverb and a used Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive. The BM is great. I am really impressed. Not much distortion on tap, just gain and a hotter signal. Really a good fit for my playing. The best part $20.

The Boss verb is nice too, I like it's tones better than the holy grail actually. However, I think this one has an issue... on the spring setting, once the effect level gets over about 50% there is a leading noise that comes out before the note.

They say it is modelled on a spring reverb unit... it sounds like a busted spring reverb unit... with a bit of a splash before the note.

The other settings work well though.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Ain't that the truth, a knob that actually does something. No way! :)
    That is why I like Bj, all 3 knobbers and all of them do something. The voice knob adds the level of distortion.
    I love the BBB, it is a Cot with Fuzz. The boost can be used on its own and you dial in the amount of fuzz, all of which are very usable. I think it is a great box. It is a toss up between the AM NKT and the BBB IMO. Both do the job, the BBB might have a little more mojo in it and no 2 are the same. Mullards are hard to get, so it all depends on what he has or can get. David Main has a ton of Mullards in stock, so get one while you can :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    You know,,, for all the years that I've been playing,, and using all that stuff, and asking for it, at least after 35 years of Mxrs and fuzzes, they finally made one! I agree, for fuzz boxes, too! The univibe was cool, but then it was another pedal to control the speed.

When I toured, I had the MXR knob replaced with a dial that was taller and wider and had felt glued to it, so I could nudge it with my foot in the middle of a song,,, same with the Fuzz Face, or whatever fuzz I was using at the time. It was always a pain to bend over all the time.

Where's Telesonic!!!! I see potential!! :D:D:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I returned the sparkle drive... too fizzy for my tastes.

I picked up a used Boss Digital Reverb and a used Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive. The BM is great. I am really impressed. Not much distortion on tap, just gain and a hotter signal. Really a good fit for my playing. The best part $20.

The Boss verb is nice too, I like it's tones better than the holy grail actually. However, I think this one has an issue... on the spring setting, once the effect level gets over about 50% there is a leading noise that comes out before the note.

They say it is modelled on a spring reverb unit... it sounds like a busted spring reverb unit... with a bit of a splash before the note.

The other settings work well though.
    Glad the BM worked out, it is a great box for the money. See if you can find a used EH reverb pedal it should do the trick.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

You know,,, for all the years that I've been playing,, and using all that stuff, and asking for it, at least after 35 years of Mxrs and fuzzes, they finally made one! I agree, for fuzz boxes, too! The univibe was cool, but then it was another pedal to control the speed.

When I toured, I had the MXR knob replaced with a dial that was taller and wider and had felt glued to it, so I could nudge it with my foot in the middle of a song,,, same with the Fuzz Face, or whatever fuzz I was using at the time. It was always a pain to bend over all the time.

There will come a day when the gigging pedal board gutarist is hunched over his board for the entire set :)
    That is why I tossed the Fuzz Factory, I hate bending over :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    JofZ wrote:
    Glad the BM worked out, it is a great box for the money. See if you can find a used EH reverb pedal it should do the trick.

I think I will just exchange the Boss for a different one... it sounds defective, not like it was designed to sound that way.

I have a potential jam shaping up for Wednesday too. Should be fun to actually play with someone else.
    There's No Code.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Just kinda seems like a fancy toy to me. I can't really see the practical purpose in that pedal.
    Just kinda seems like a fancy toy to me. I can't really see the practical purpose in that pedal.

why not? The pitch shifter was stuck at one spot until digitech introduced the whammy on a treadle.

Sure, you can use big knob on the phase 90 and turn it with your feet, but the treadle is more easily manipulated. I don't personally know anyone that uses that much phase but I think it will be a hit with the very popular high gain Numetal/fusion crowd.

bob have you seen the TIP 3rd hand?

You slide the knob off and connect the 3rd hand then you can control that pot with the treadle.
    JofZ wrote:
    There will come a day when the gigging pedal board gutarist is hunched over his board for the entire set :)
    That is why I tossed the Fuzz Factory, I hate bending over :)

Ain't that the truth!

Back in the old Pink Floyd days,, David Gilmour had his pedals on a table, and he'd change settings between songs, or a tech would bop it with his hand when it was time in the middle of a song.

Outsourcing I says! :cool:

I figure now that I'm older , I can hire staff to twiddle knobs! :D
    Be kind, man

Back in the old Pink Floyd days,, David Gilmour had his pedals on a table, and he'd change settings between songs, or a tech would bop it with his hand when it was time in the middle of a song.

Outsourcing I says! :cool:

I figure now that I'm older , I can hire staff to twiddle knobs! :D

Or, if you're Matt Bellamy, you get the Fuzz Factory built in to the guitar, and you hook every thing else up on 3, 36 button midi patch boards and hire 2 brilliant guys to dance on the ones off stage to change the setup of the buttons you have on stage, run that into 2 identical Diezel VH4 rigs (one backup) and then you proceed to freaking rock out every single night.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    bob have you seen the TIP 3rd hand?

You slide the knob off and connect the 3rd hand then you can control that pot with the treadle.

Yeah, I've seen that. It's pretty funny! The third hand wasn't out when I was touring. They barely had ELECRICITY then, let alone pedal knob turners!! :D:D
    Mine looked more like a toothpaste tube screwtop with some sponge rubber on it. Low teck, but I hated to travel with too much stuff. If something broke down,,, it was off to the drugstore!

I think the king of that stuff is Neil Young and his Whizzer, he thought of it and Sal Trentino made it for him. :cool:
    I have a friend Larry, who used to tour with Neil and he said that Neil's ear is so good for what he wants, that he could tell if there were 120 or 115 volts going through his stuff. He had an upgrade made for the whizzer and that's still his main live rig, is that and that old Deluxe biased for 6L6's and a high speed fan keeping it from melting on Cortez the Killer! :)
    Be kind, man
    Or, if you're Matt Bellamy, you get the Fuzz Factory built in to the guitar, and you hook every thing else up on 3, 36 button midi patch boards and hire 2 brilliant guys to dance on the ones off stage to change the setup of the buttons you have on stage, run that into 2 identical Diezel VH4 rigs (one backup) and then you proceed to freaking rock out every single night.

I was thinking more of a couple of pedals, a beer holder on the mike stand and a couple of bikini clad ,,,,,

Oh never mind! :D
    Be kind, man

Oh never mind! :D

Bob, I like the way you think. Mojitos all around.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Bob, I like the way you think. Mojitos all around.

Cheers, man!

To me,,, simple is the way it should be.

BTW, I saw Buddy Guy the other night, with his Strat and 6 Bassman amps in little stacks. His tone was superb!! You should see the smile on his face when he plays. He still has it all.
    Be kind, man

To me,,, simple is the way it should be.

BTW, I saw Buddy Guy the other night, with his Strat and 6 Bassman amps in little stacks. His tone was superb!! You should see the smile on his face when he plays. He still has it all.

Yes he does, and hopefully he is getting paid now for some of his playing :)
    I saw him on Soundstage with John Mayer and I thought it was funny to see John all pumped that Guy was on stage with him and then I realized that Guy was just probably happy to be getting the overdue exposure to the twenty somethings.

Simple is always best and then you find yourself screwing it up some how, the tonequest never ends! :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    why not? The pitch shifter was stuck at one spot until digitech introduced the whammy on a treadle.

Sure, you can use big knob on the phase 90 and turn it with your feet, but the treadle is more easily manipulated. I don't personally know anyone that uses that much phase but I think it will be a hit with the very popular high gain Numetal/fusion crowd.

Point taken.

When I use my phase 90 it's basically for 2 reasons:

1) at about a 1/4 turn with delay to get that clean sound ala Rooster by AIC
    2) 1/4 turn with overdrive and slight delay for EVH style tapping.

I guess that's why I don't see much use in it. I guess it doesn't appeal to me, but if someone can do something cool with it, good for them.