Hendrix wasn't really a homosexual, but does it change anything?

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Rock legend Jimi Hendrix pretended he was gay to get out of the US Army, a new biography reveals.

Hendrix was discharged from the 101st Airborne division in 1962, launching a musical career that would redefine the guitar, leave other rock heroes of the day speechless and culminate with his headlining performance of The Star-Spangled Banner at Woodstock in 1969.

Hendrix's subterfuge, contained in his military medical records, is revealed for the first time in Charles Cross's biography, Room Full Of Mirrors.

His military discharge says he played with himself and had homosexual tendancies, so I ask you will it change how you think about him? I honestly think this is a great way of selling a few thousand copies of a crappy book that no one would read otherwise :)
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hendrix has children in thirty-two countries. I think that suggests his army ploy was a fib. ;)
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Hendrix has children in thirty-two countries. I think that suggests his army ploy was a fib. ;)

For sure, but there are some things that make you wonder. Little Richard and Jimi were very close ;)

It was a sure fire way to beat a draft back in the days, but is there some truth to it? And if it turns out he was, I wonder if some would feel differnt about his music?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • JofZ wrote:
    For sure, but there are some things that make you wonder. Little Richard and Jimi were very close ;)

It was a sure fire way to beat a draft back in the days, but is there some truth to it? And if it turns out he was, I wonder if some would feel differnt about his music?

Haha. Actually Little Richard bullied Jimi for wearing fluffy shirts onstage. "No-one's s'posed to look pretty 'cept me!"

Now as for Jimi's music, let's see:

Foxy Laddie
    Purple Sprays
    If 69 was 66
    Little Mister Lover
    Electric Laddie-land
    Eddie Izzard-bella
    Hear My Shane a' Comin'

;)
    Haha. Actually Little Richard bullied Jimi for wearing fluffy shirts onstage. "No-one's s'posed to look pretty 'cept me!"

Foxy Laddie
    Purple Sprays
    If 69 was 66
    Little Mister Lover
    Electric Laddie-land
    Eddie Izzard-bella
    Hear My Shane a' Comin'

;)
    Hear my shane a comin LOL
    The way I heard the Little Richard story was he found comfort in his style becasue it was so similar to his own, bullied by Little Richard, that is an oxymoron if I ever heard one :) The only thing I would be afraid of is his hair LOL.
    Just cause he put a women in the title or in a lyric doesn't mean a thing about its true intent or meaning. Only one guy knows for sure and I don't plan on finding out any time soon ;)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• It wouldn't make a bit of difference to me if he was or wasn't. It's amazing how many people know so much about him when they're trying to sell books!
    I did yoga to loosen my knees to get out of the draft, because they said that would do it,,, but my lottery number was 356 out of 365 :D, so it didn't matter and now my knees hurt! :mad:. I DID know some who pretended they were gay to get out, though, and they weren't,,, so who knows about Hendrix.

That being said, he did write:

Scuse me!!!
    While I kiss this guy!
    :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

well, i still have my george michael cds.........
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395

Foxy Laddie
    Purple Sprays
    If 69 was 66
    Little Mister Lover
    Electric Laddie-land
    Eddie Izzard-bella
    Hear My Shane a' Comin'

I'll add a personal favorite: Red House. And anyone who wrote Little Wing ain't gay. Sensative, maybe, but definitely not gay...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Lol wow thats interesting... but then that could lead to a new conspiracy of....what if jimi never actually died but the army just realised he wasn't gay and dragged him back to Nam! ;)
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • Haha. Actually Little Richard bullied Jimi for wearing fluffy shirts onstage. "No-one's s'posed to look pretty 'cept me!"

Foxy Laddie
    Purple Sprays
    If 69 was 66
    Little Mister Lover
    Electric Laddie-land
    Eddie Izzard-bella
    Hear My Shane a' Comin'

;)
    (my)Little Thing

if its true (and i don't care either way) i think its just creative war protest :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Lol wow thats interesting... but then that could lead to a new conspiracy of....what if jimi never actually died but the army just realised he wasn't gay and dragged him back to Nam! ;)

well actually the CIA killed Hendrix.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
    well actually the CIA killed Hendrix.

I think he and Elvis are living somewhere in the South of France having a grand ol time LOL
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• JofZ wrote:
    I think he and Elvis are living somewhere in the South of France having a grand ol time LOL

Maybe they are trippin with Jim Morrison
    08.28.1998 Camden
    09.01.2000 Camden
    04.28.2003 Spectrum
    07.01.2003 D.C.
    10.01.2004 Reading
    10.03.2005 Philadelphia
    05.27.2006 Camden
    05.28.2006 Camden
    06.03.2006 East Rutherford
    06.20.2008 Camden
    10.28.2009 Spectrum
    10.21.2013 Philadelphia
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    maybe he was bi -sexual but who cares he rest in peace and his music keeps him alive end of the story
  • well actually the CIA killed Hendrix.

I always thought, in the light of evidence, that Monika Dannemann killed him by pouring red wine mixed with Vesperax down his throat as he lay sleeping on her bed in the Samarkand Hotel in Lansdowne Crescent. They'd been rowing all night over her jealousy. The pathologist who examined Jimi said his airways had been drowned and wine was poured all over his clothes and hair.

Monika killed herself in 1996 when she lost a libel case regarding the events of 17-18 September 1970 (the time of Jimi's death), and due to increasing speculation that Jimi's inquest was about to be re-opened.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    i wasn't even aware he was alleged to be a homosexual...i mean, i read that little richard said he made his toes curl but i never thought of him as gay...it wouldn't matter...lou reed was bi and a complete egomaniac and asshole, same wto a degree w/ roger waters and i love them
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way