my Bday surprise!

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My wife surprised me with a custom display case for the Les Paul and a Zebo Duane Allman guitar Strap, #46 :) for my Bday on Monday, what a nice wife I have. I'll post some pics later on this week of the strap and I am almost done with my new board. The BJ box arrives this week yooohoooo.

Anyone looking for a Mesa F-30 amp? I am going to fleabay in it 1 week with no reserve, so make me an offer, I just might take it :) I am out of room and I have too much crap coming. Amp is perfect, a little over a year old and all papers, warranty and original box are available.
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You lucky bastard.
    But what is the display case for? Is it a collectors guitar that you don't play?
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    You lucky bastard.
    But what is the display case for? Is it a collectors guitar that you don't play?
    No it is for my Murphy Les Paul that should be kept in the guitar case, but I keep it on a stand. She surprised me with a wood display case with a light, etc. Now I can look at it when it isn't being played. It is one of those axes that just begs to be played, so keeping it hidden away makes no sense to me :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    very cool and happy birthday. My bday is on Friday.

Taken out of context: I am glad your "BJ Box" is arriving soon... lol
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    very cool and happy birthday. My bday is on Friday.

Taken out of context: I am glad your "BJ Box" is arriving soon... lol

Thanks man!
    You are close enough to a Leo that we should get along fine LOL
    ONe Bj box arrived yesterday, I hope the others show up today.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JofZ wrote:
    Thanks man!
    You are close enough to a Leo that we should get along fine LOL
    ONe Bj box arrived yesterday, I hope the others show up today.

happy birthday, very cool present. especially the Zebo strap. I am over joyed with my BJ box. Problem is now I want more and my damn truck is in the shop my tags are due insurance is up and my CC bill is insane this month. Damnit.

What BJ boxes did you get? Oh and please pass the word on to BJ that I am more than pleased. I'll do clips soon as I stop being so lazy.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    happy birthday, very cool present. especially the Zebo strap. I am over joyed with my BJ box. Problem is now I want more and my damn truck is in the shop my tags are due insurance is up and my CC bill is insane this month. Damnit.

What BJ boxes did you get? Oh and please pass the word on to BJ that I am more than pleased. I'll do clips soon as I stop being so lazy.

We all want more BJ boxes... :D

My birthday present to myself is settling down with my gear. (wishful thinking)

I am thinking two telecasters and a good el-84 amp. By the end of next week that will be a done deal.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    We all want more BJ boxes... :D

My birthday present to myself is settling down with my gear. (wishful thinking)

I am thinking two telecasters and a good el-84 amp. By the end of next week that will be a done deal.

yeah, you should check out that Delta Blues 2x10 in that post. For $429 you might save a bit and hell you might like it. I doubt it's as smooth as Dr Z but for the money you can't beat it.

Oh, and you do, really need, an Emerald Green. Damn it's great. Oh and there is a Warmoth Tele on Ebay with Fralin P-90's in SG cherry Red. for less than 700. It's beyootiful. My B-day is in two weeks but it's looking like I'll be too poor to buy anything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I am thinking about a '62 custom tele (the one with binding)... maybe in blue.

and I played a Mesa Lone Star Special... even though it said Mesa on it... I was really enjoying it... very cool stuff. Switchable on each channel from 30,15, and 5 watts... plus extra drive on the second channel. Nice reverb (for a Mesa) and just all around impressive.

The problem, it costs almost as much as a tweed twin... but very cool.

I am actually considering my options a bit this time. We have my wife's financial aid straightened out, so I might take the opportunity to get a guitar and amp I really dig and not just patch a setup together.
    There's No Code.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Thanks Homie!
    The Red Rooster showed up yesterday. I hope the CAF and PPP arrive today, can't wait.
    I will be more then happy to pass your thoughts on to BJ.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    Thanks Homie!
    The Red Rooster showed up yesterday. I hope the CAF and PPP arrive today, can't wait.
    I will be more then happy to pass your thoughts on to BJ.

Sweet. What is the PPP? The PPF is another one I'm interested in. I bet the Red Rooster is absolutely perfect for your allen. 30+dbs of boost on a deluxe circuit....heaven.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Sweet. What is the PPP? The PPF is another one I'm interested in. I bet the Red Rooster is absolutely perfect for your allen. 30+dbs of boost on a deluxe circuit....heaven.

PPP is a custom box he built for me, it is a phaser kinda inbetween the stone and phase 90. It is just perfect for me. I went with the CAF becasue it is over the top and it has many tones inside, octave, wall of noise. The PPF is a nice alternative to the FF, and many love it.
    I bought the RRB from Deano after he played it for me over the phone, it is sweet. Stacked with a Honey BEe and a Strat it gives you Gilmoure :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    PPP is a custom box he built for me, it is a phaser kinda inbetween the stone and phase 90. It is just perfect for me. I went with the CAF becasue it is over the top and it has many tones inside, octave, wall of noise. The PPF is a nice alternative to the FF, and many love it.
    I bought the RRB from Deano after he played it for me over the phone, it is sweet. Stacked with a Honey BEe and a Strat it gives you Gilmoure :)

ah, so add a little drippy swirly phase, delay and wala. Gilmore.

now we need to find you a 65 Strat to add to your wall of fame. Will set you back maybe 5K or so but it will definately appreciate the way things are going. The late 70's Early 80's crap is going for far more than it should these days. I have trouble finding anything decent in that vintage. On second thought, why not get a white Suhr set up gilmour style?

The candy apple is way too much gain for my amp, but I bet it goes well with the germino and allen.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ah, so add a little drippy swirly phase, delay and wala. Gilmore.

now we need to find you a 65 Strat to add to your wall of fame. Will set you back maybe 5K or so but it will definately appreciate the way things are going. The late 70's Early 80's crap is going for far more than it should these days. I have trouble finding anything decent in that vintage. On second thought, why not get a white Suhr set up gilmour style?

The candy apple is way too much gain for my amp, but I bet it goes well with the germino and allen.

The 65 is the one for me, I would get a custom shop relic copy. I can't understand these prices either. They are going up at rates that are just not making sense. If my indicators are right though we are in for a major correction in the market and the economy will be bumpy for a little bit, maybe it will knock the vintage market down, maybe not. Some are just diving in and making a killing. I don't know that I could stomache buying a strat for 20K, vintage or not, it is just a strat.

The CAF is high gain, but you are getting a couple pedals in one, like an octavia and there are some ringer tones too.
    Have you heard the the mini green vibe?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    The 65 is the one for me, I would get a custom shop relic copy. I can't understand these prices either. They are going up at rates that are just not making sense. If my indicators are right though we are in for a major correction in the market and the economy will be bumpy for a little bit, maybe it will knock the vintage market down, maybe not. Some are just diving in and making a killing. I don't know that I could stomache buying a strat for 20K, vintage or not, it is just a strat.

The CAF is high gain, but you are getting a couple pedals in one, like an octavia and there are some ringer tones too.
    Have you heard the the mini green vibe?

not yet, I know donneR loves it. I think you might have the same, "I hate tweeking this thing" reaction, but if you do, there's always a 3rd hand. I have a good feeling about the BJF stuff.

70's strats are crap compared to the earlier decade. Had I known the market was going to jump like it has in the past 2 years maybe I should have thought harder about getting an original 65. 5 grand might be a bargain. I really think 1960-67 were Fenders Musical instrument Corps best years even though the weren't the obvious anniversary years. The late 70's and 80's may have been it's worst. I've picked up more absolute crap from 79 to oh 1990 than I care to admit. The stuff they are making today blows most of that stuff away. Hell that's why they had to sue Ibanez and Tokai I guess. I don't care what Johnson and Clapton think and I know Hendrix played the big goofy late 70's creation but to my ears, 59-65 is the golden era for the stratocaster.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    not yet, I know donneR loves it. I think you might have the same, "I hate tweeking this thing" reaction, but if you do, there's always a 3rd hand. I have a good feeling about the BJF stuff.

70's strats are crap compared to the earlier decade. Had I known the market was going to jump like it has in the past 2 years maybe I should have thought harder about getting an original 65. 5 grand might be a bargain. I really think 1960-67 were Fenders Musical instrument Corps best years even though the weren't the obvious anniversary years. The late 70's and 80's may have been it's worst. I've picked up more absolute crap from 79 to oh 1990 than I care to admit. The stuff they are making today blows most of that stuff away. Hell that's why they had to sue Ibanez and Tokai I guess. I don't care what Johnson and Clapton think and I know Hendrix played the big goofy late 70's creation but to my ears, 59-65 is the golden era for the stratocaster.

I would be willing to wager some serious coin that in a blind taste test the new boutique stuff would be chosen 90% of the time over vintage. A buddy of mine put it best last week, the vintage amps provided tone by pur accident, today you have people who have spent their life trying to better the old tone, how could it not be better?
    If you look at a NEW Fender or Gibson Custom shop axe they are just as nice and provide just as good of tone. But amps is where the arguement makes little sense to me, the new amps blow away the vintage ones, not for investment but for playing.
    I agree with you the 22lb LP from the 70s are the worst ever. There are still some decent buys out there, lapsteels mostly :) I would buy for the pups personally.
    One day I will justify a true vintage axe, but I bet it will be a Gretsch I wind up with.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    I would be willing to wager some serious coin that in a blind taste test the new boutique stuff would be chosen 90% of the time over vintage. A buddy of mine put it best last week, the vintage amps provided tone by pur accident, today you have people who have spent their life trying to better the old tone, how could it not be better?
    If you look at a NEW Fender or Gibson Custom shop axe they are just as nice and provide just as good of tone. But amps is where the arguement makes little sense to me, the new amps blow away the vintage ones, not for investment but for playing.
    I agree with you the 22lb LP from the 70s are the worst ever. There are still some decent buys out there, lapsteels mostly :) I would buy for the pups personally.
    One day I will justify a true vintage axe, but I bet it will be a Gretsch I wind up with.

True. We also know how to achieve various tones now and how to get the most out of tubes and circuits. When the vintage amps were made they didn't have the 50 years of "I want it to sound like this" questions. Take the DR Z Z28. a 4x10 no BS 6V6 amp. add a good reverb. phenominal and there's nothing really to compare it too. The stuff that BJ is doing now is somewhat revolutionary. Not reinventing the wheel, nothing new really but the approach is unique. I've never ever found a pedal that breathed life, like a really good guitar. The EG does. I agree on the custom shops too. These guys know what the best ones sound like, and they've spent thier lives deciphering why.