Hurricane Relief Effort has begun, GEAR related

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
There are a couple relief efforts underway that are gear and guitar related. Donner from Tonesafari has begun a relief effort and is asking pedal builders to step up once again and provide stompboxes for an auction where the monies will be donated to Katrina Relief. Donner organized the Tsunami relief project and it was a huge success. For more information visit Musictoyz.com or thegearpage.net

I hope all of you can bid or buy a stompbox and help out those who are in need.

If you would rather participate in a raffle, Jim Soloway has organized this raffle for a $25 donation:
http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99519

Send what you can!!
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thanks. :)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Excellent, I was just about to post this J.

The raffle is a great Idea.

I think I will try to Ebay or otherwise my old amps for the same end.

This stomp boxes for relief thing is one of the coolest things our community has ever done.

Imagine if we could get Gibson/Fender/PRS/Ibanez/Maxon and the like involved.

We should Email this to Keeley and Analog Mike who participated in the last one too. Dave Fox might go again as well.

St Louis Music (Ampeg) (Crate) and Line 6 may also be interested, especially given that Mr. Tripps is involved.

Peavey is located in Southern Mississippi. So much good music comes from the region. It's time for us to give some soul back.

Kat/Sea can we get a sticky here?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    There are going to be so many boxes available it should satisfy everyone. Analogman has already said he is giving a King of Tone and Bi-Comp.

I think it is amazing to watch a community like ours come together and help.

Red cross is asking everyone to donate $100, with a drive like this you could wind up donating a couple hundred :)

On a sad note, my industry's largest convention of the year was going to be in New Orleans on November 15th, needless to say, it has been cancelled. This is the 2nd time we have had to cancel our convention and both times it was going to be in N.O. I feel terrible for the people and we always had so much fun there. I am hoping the French Quarter can be rebuilt, but I fear the history and most of the people will be gone for good.

Send your money in Guys, this is a cause that is in our backyard and they need us.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • Thanks for the links guys, keep them coming I'm def. in, I think this is great.

Just send my raffle entry in.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    good stuff going on with people organizing relief efforts.

I am waiting for my chance to get in the NO and help with recovery. My company will be setting up a mobile command post for the USCG to operate relief efforts.

I will likely be spending a good amount of time there in the coming months.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    good stuff going on with people organizing relief efforts.

I am waiting for my chance to get in the NO and help with recovery. My company will be setting up a mobile command post for the USCG to operate relief efforts.

I will likely be spending a good amount of time there in the coming months.

let me know the info. I'm wanting to go too, I just have to get some either vacation time or other time off.
    I have heard a lot of people wanting to go support the efforts. Unfortunately at this time it is not a stable enough situation to bring in outside sources (my company included). My company is trained and has trained thousands of people in the National Response System which will be in effect during the relief efforts. It is a standardiazed system with roles and responsibilities so multiple jurisdictions and agencies can work together.

From our end, we will be facilitating relief efforts and the work we will be doing isn't something that volunteers can walk into. I am sure other organizations are accepting volunteers for other efforts that are going on.
    There's No Code.
    Is anyone else just disgusted with the efforts?
    I don't think money is all they need, where is the help?

My company will be making a donation to help since all I can offer is money, but I just can't believe what I am seeing. Is this the USA or a 3rd world nation?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• people can help right now by getting in touch with the red cross and voluntering to answer the calls from people pledging money,or processing the checks that are being sent.

not everyone needs to be in that mess with all the chaos going on to be a part of the relief efforts.
    JofZ wrote:
    Is anyone else just disgusted with the efforts?
    I don't think money is all they need, where is the help?

My company will be making a donation to help since all I can offer is money, but I just can't believe what I am seeing. Is this the USA or a 3rd world nation?

My company has been instructed by FEMA to hold off on moving in... I think things are starting to move forward this weekend. A contingent of my colleagues are headed in... They are providing communications and coordination for the responders.

It's unfortunate, but the relief plans are not designed to provide relief in the middle of anarchy and chaos. There needs to be a foot hold for responders to operate in a safe manner to make real progress.
    There's No Code.
    House53 wrote:
    My company has been instructed by FEMA to hold off on moving in... I think things are starting to move forward this weekend. A contingent of my colleagues are headed in... They are providing communications and coordination for the responders.

It's unfortunate, but the relief plans are not designed to provide relief in the middle of anarchy and chaos. There needs to be a foot hold for responders to operate in a safe manner to make real progress.

I am shocked by the general reaction both by the victims and our country. The looting and criminal activities are to be expected, but things are way out of control and it is obvious we don't have the means or the resources to handle this one. Is it fair to put the burden on private companies? I am relieved to find out there are companies willing to put their resources to work, but I would expect the same from other nations and Bush first.

Time will tell, but it is safe to assume the area will never be the same. Kudos to United and the other airlines for helping.

Not to be negative here, but it is hurricane season and are there any preparations taking place in case another one heads for the same area?
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    JofZ wrote:
    I am shocked by the general reaction both by the victims and our country. The looting and criminal activities are to be expected, but things are way out of control and it is obvious we don't have the means or the resources to handle this one. Is it fair to put the burden on private companies? I am relieved to find out there are companies willing to put their resources to work, but I would expect the same from other nations and Bush first.

just as an aside, 20+ nations have offered help. Canada offered help before the storm hit land and are basically waiting for the go ahead from the US government to move. Troops, supplies, water treatment, search and rescue etc.

Right now, the agencies in and around the area can't even deal with the influx of volunteers if they wanted to. the organization just isn't there yet.
    exhausted wrote:
    just as an aside, 20+ nations have offered help. Canada offered help before the storm hit land and are basically waiting for the go ahead from the US government to move. Troops, supplies, water treatment, search and rescue etc.

Right now, the agencies in and around the area can't even deal with the influx of volunteers if they wanted to. the organization just isn't there yet.

I hear and read different things, I am sure the offers are there. From the pictures I see the help is really needed and the organization can and should have been figured out by now. Women and children first, sick and elderly before them, it makes sense. Afterall, the hurricane didn't just pop out of nowhere, I have seen twister relief move faster.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

how the whole thing has developed is pretty mind boggling. it seems as though anything that could possibly go wrong did.

anyway, it appears the canadian navy sets sail on tuesday for reconstruction efforts.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/09/02/1199575-cp.html
    exhausted wrote:
    how the whole thing has developed is pretty mind boggling. it seems as though anything that could possibly go wrong did.

anyway, it appears the canadian navy sets sail on tuesday for reconstruction efforts.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/09/02/1199575-cp.html

Turn on CNN or headline news, the stuff they are saying is disturbing. Bush will be speaking any minute. I guess he has decided to take another air tour of the area. If gas prices in my area, Downtown Chicago are any indication of what is going to happen, I would say we have a problem. We are almost at $4 a gallon for premium. Just short of 3.60 for reg and it is going up 23 cents a day. Comments like, if you don't need, don't fill up are pretty familiar from the last gas crisis.
    I guess it is time to bust out the bike.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

yeah, it's right up there for price here too. and we're sitting on the oil. combination of market supply/demand and opportunism.

i'm glad i drive my mustang so little because it's going to be even less from now on. i only fill it up 3-4 times a year.

it's unsettling how as it destabilizes markets and raising prices on pretty much everything, the elevated oil prices make my line of work much more secure. (i work for an engineering firm doing a lot of work in oil sands).

mixed feelings. i can provide security for my family yet my day to day spending power etc is being chipped away. it's going to be interesting raising a child in these times.
    exhausted wrote:
    yeah, it's right up there for price here too. and we're sitting on the oil. combination of market supply/demand and opportunism.

i'm glad i drive my mustang so little because it's going to be even less from now on. i only fill it up 3-4 times a year.

it's unsettling how as it destabilizes markets and raising prices on pretty much everything, the elevated oil prices make my line of work much more secure. (i work for an engineering firm doing a lot of work in oil sands).

mixed feelings. i can provide security for my family yet my day to day spending power etc is being chipped away. it's going to be interesting raising a child in these times.

I would like to think we have a large enough surplus that these overnight price adjustments wouldn't occur, but like you said it is a free market.

I wish Detroit would be proactive instead of reactive. Much of this is the same old story.

I don't think there is anything to have mixed feelings about, hopefully the technology you are working on will help create alternative sources. But, if Detroit supports it and then recalls it like they did the last time, then we are in the same boat.
    I will say the fuel prices have eased traffic here, so if there is one positive thing to say that is it. My business isn't affected just yet, I sell private aircraft. I do have the conversation now, and it never took place before. I don't know too many people who own Roll's and worry about the fuel bill. The problem will be if there is no fuel, and from what Bush is saying it looks like for a short period of time that can happen.
    Do let me know if you find a way to turn shale into oil, I am all in :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale

related to oil sands. sadly, this isn't alternative technologies. just different sources of the same old same old and the big reason canada's the number one foreign supplier of oil to the US.
    but there's a lot of it and now that prices are up, the margins are there to make recovery attractive for companies.

very little investment in alternatives up here too.