Saw the Stones on Saturday, WOW!

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I hope I am still vertical at those guys age let alone able to rock. I had never seen em before, and for many reasons felt this tour was going to be my best bet. I had no idea what to expect and I was hoping the live show of the elder rockers would not taint my love of their music. Boy oh boy was I entertained. The Los Loney Boys opened for a crowd the size of most suburbs. There must have been over 100,000 people jammed inside Soldier Field. The stage was set up in one end zone, it was 3 stories high, towering over the in field seating. The Los Loney Boys were most definintly out of place and loving every second of it, they blew the doors off the place. Seeing the crowd was going to be kind no matter what I had good feelings. The brothers left the stage and for about 45 mins people kept coming in. I was seated on the 18th row on stage right. Great seats, lots of money, but great seats. I looked around and couldn't believe the size of the crowd. I had seen the Dead there many times and thought it was the largest crowd ever, but not a chance. I think there were people standing on the 400 level, which is basically 1/2 mile up and back from the stage. Fireworks and a opening video prepared the audience for what was to come, and Start me UP was the opener. The band played and played and played and played. I was starting to wonder if they were ever going to break. Was this some sick joke trying to prove they are in better shape then the teenagers trying to immitate?
About 1 hour into the show, Mick just walked off and Keith took over lead vocals for 2 songs and then Mick was right back at us, running back and forth and taking every chance he could to thank every corner of the crowd. The 2 song break was his only break and the band never had a second off. At about 1 hour 30 mins, the ccenter section of the stage took off in to the audience on train tracks and they played 3 songs from the center of the field, a real class act for a band that size to give the people in back a chance to see them. It was insane.
2 encores, more fireworks, balls of flames and the show was over.
Here is what I can't put into words. The weather was perfect it might have been one of the nicest evenings yet this summer. The sound system was spot on, who ever designed the new stadium should be hired everywhere. It sounded amazing.
In conclusion, I got a chance to see one of my heros up close and watch him work. It was everything I expected and more and if I never see them again it is OK. The Stones are a class act! Like I said, I hope when I am their age I can still speak without drooling all over myself.
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JofZ wrote:
    I hope I am still vertical at those guys age let alone able to rock. I had never seen em before, and for many reasons felt this tour was going to be my best bet. I had no idea what to expect and I was hoping the live show of the elder rockers would not taint my love of their music. Boy oh boy was I entertained. The Los Loney Boys opened for a crowd the size of most suburbs. There must have been over 100,000 people jammed inside Soldier Field. The stage was set up in one end zone, it was 3 stories high, towering over the in field seating. The Los Loney Boys were most definintly out of place and loving every second of it, they blew the doors off the place. Seeing the crowd was going to be kind no matter what I had good feelings. The brothers left the stage and for about 45 mins people kept coming in. I was seated on the 18th row on stage right. Great seats, lots of money, but great seats. I looked around and couldn't believe the size of the crowd. I had seen the Dead there many times and thought it was the largest crowd ever, but not a chance. I think there were people standing on the 400 level, which is basically 1/2 mile up and back from the stage. Fireworks and a opening video prepared the audience for what was to come, and Start me UP was the opener. The band played and played and played and played. I was starting to wonder if they were ever going to break. Was this some sick joke trying to prove they are in better shape then the teenagers trying to immitate?
    About 1 hour into the show, Mick just walked off and Keith took over lead vocals for 2 songs and then Mick was right back at us, running back and forth and taking every chance he could to thank every corner of the crowd. The 2 song break was his only break and the band never had a second off. At about 1 hour 30 mins, the ccenter section of the stage took off in to the audience on train tracks and they played 3 songs from the center of the field, a real class act for a band that size to give the people in back a chance to see them. It was insane.
    2 encores, more fireworks, balls of flames and the show was over.
    Here is what I can't put into words. The weather was perfect it might have been one of the nicest evenings yet this summer. The sound system was spot on, who ever designed the new stadium should be hired everywhere. It sounded amazing.
    In conclusion, I got a chance to see one of my heros up close and watch him work. It was everything I expected and more and if I never see them again it is OK. The Stones are a class act! Like I said, I hope when I am their age I can still speak without drooling all over myself.

I was there too and what a freaking amazing show. I drove 6 hours Saturday to watch the show, got up Sunday and drove six home, but it was all worth because that was one hell of a show. Not the best pure concert I've ever seen, but definitely the best show, they do it up right, that's for sure.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • That's great, man!
    I'm seeing them in Philly inside, in October.
    I saw them in 1969 during the Get Your Ya Ya's out tour,,,, and countless times after.
    Last tour,,, they opened with Street Fighting Man,,, and it was so intense, the crowd was blown away. After that, it was like,,"How do you follow that as a first song!!!?"
    And they proceeded to follow it!
    The Stones just know how to provide a great time. Jagger is an amazing front man that just brings a joy to the crowd.

There's a reason that those guys are still around, and people just don't realize it till you see them live! :cool:
    They always have the best and highest tech sound systems. They, and Pink Floyd always raise the bar on sound systems each tour. In those big venues, it's amazing how they sound like they're in your living room, and the next band you see in the same venue is muddied up sound!

I love when Keith does his little sets. Last time, he walked up to the mike and said in that gruff voice, "Lookin' kinda rough,,,, but feeling really gooooood" and ripped! Him and Ronnie Wood together are one of rock's great pairs, too!

Glad you had a good time! Now I'm psyched for the Wachovia! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart