need some feedback on Les Pauls

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• same here. With #1 winning it by a mile.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i like the tobacco.

but of course, i also like plaintops so don't go by me. :)
  • tobacco rules.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    #1, #3 and #2 in that order.

I like the figure on #3 better than 2
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    #3, then #1, then #2...

I really like #3, a lot.
    There's No Code.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Thanks guys, it looks like all of you have impecable taste :)
    Ok, one more to look at, it reminds me of Duanes but the gull wing is kinda off, not sure.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/evenmoreMurphs2.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/evenmoreMurphs4.jpg
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you still have the murphy you got a couple months ago right?
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    #3 still.........
    There's No Code.
    yes I still have the one I bought in May. These are the 05's and probably the last batch, Murphy has been a little busy cranking out 335's and Pages :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• These are Tom Murphy Aged?

Thats the only difference, yes?
    They've been aged to look old?

How much cost does that add to the base price?
    a shit load?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    These are Tom Murphy Aged?

Thats the only difference, yes?
    They've been aged to look old?

How much cost does that add to the base price?
    a shit load?

It is more then just aging IMO. The Art and Historic department at Gibson is different from regular Gibson. On the outside it might appear the axe has just been aged, but in reality you have Gibsons best luthiers working on these guitars and in most cases the Murphy's have the best tops they have laying around. I have seen some overlaps, like special serial number custom shop non aged axes haveing some spectacular tops. Check out Marks right now, he has a Duane clone and it wasn't an accident this is a perfect example of overlap. But, in most cases the Murphy's are all players. I haven't seen or played one yet that wasn't good enough for me.

You pay about 1K more for a Murphy and the detail in his craftmanship is just silly, he uses an exacto knife and mimics real aging. There is no magic box, or formula it is all done by hand one at a time. Just to give you an idea as to the investment quality of these axes, I picked mine up for 5200 and had it aprasied the same day for 7400 and had numerous offers at that number from other LP owners. The fact is there is only enough wood for another 5-10 years and then that is it. Prices are going up at a pace no one is going to be prepared for.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    JofZ wrote:
    It is more then just aging IMO. The Art and Historic department at Gibson is different from regular Gibson. On the outside it might appear the axe has just been aged, but in reality you have Gibsons best luthiers working on these guitars and in most cases the Murphy's have the best tops they have laying around. I have seen some overlaps, like special serial number custom shop non aged axes haveing some spectacular tops. Check out Marks right now, he has a Duane clone and it wasn't an accident this is a perfect example of overlap. But, in most cases the Murphy's are all players. I haven't seen or played one yet that wasn't good enough for me.

You pay about 1K more for a Murphy and the detail in his craftmanship is just silly, he uses an exacto knife and mimics real aging. There is no magic box, or formula it is all done by hand one at a time. Just to give you an idea as to the investment quality of these axes, I picked mine up for 5200 and had it aprasied the same day for 7400 and had numerous offers at that number from other LP owners. The fact is there is only enough wood for another 5-10 years and then that is it. Prices are going up at a pace no one is going to be prepared for.

not only that, these axes will eventually prove some of the best ever created at any era, because these guys have created and seen thousands of Les Pauls in thier career and they know exactly how to make them feel, play, sound and look right to the most discerning player. In the 50's they just new it looked decent and sounded good a few extra turns on the PU's in 59 plus larger frets made them easy to play and really fat sounding, a few Mr Famouses picked them up and the rest is history.

These Murphy's will eventually prove to be some of the best guitars ever at any price, although the premium is out of most of our mitts.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    not only that, these axes will eventually prove some of the best ever created at any era, because these guys have created and seen thousands of Les Pauls in thier career and they know exactly how to make them feel, play, sound and look right to the most discerning player. In the 50's they just new it looked decent and sounded good a few extra turns on the PU's in 59 plus larger frets made them easy to play and really fat sounding, a few Mr Famouses picked them up and the rest is history.

These Murphy's will eventually prove to be some of the best guitars ever at any price, although the premium is out of most of our mitts.

Yes sir, how does it go? In the 50's tone was an accident? :)
    I know for a fact that Gibson has some nice stock set aside for 09 aka the 50th anniv. axes and then that might be the last of the bursts. The historic shop has really done everything down to every last detail to make these latest historics as accurate as possible. Have you seen the brazillian prices now? 9K and up for an 03, just insane.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?