Need an amp and already have a cab? this is it, and cheap, CHEAP CHEAP!

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ha ha, a great sounding smokey. A good reason to install that 12 inch Bogner Cube in the trunk :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • hey,
    what kind of tubes does this thing use !??!

that is so hot!!!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
    hey,
    what kind of tubes does this thing use !??!

that is so hot!!!

no tubes I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    dude, who'spearljam bought it.
    exhausted wrote:
    dude, who'spearljam bought it.

The irony of owning that, a 1watt martone and a 160 watt Mesa makes me smile on Friday morning.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Very nice, I hope to have a full review :)
    Sean is going to sell 1000 of these bad boys.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • i want one for the bedroom.

when are more gonna be listed !?!?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    i want one for the bedroom.

when are more gonna be listed !?!?

I would check every night about 10 or so EST.

I can get you on the list as well, but I find it best if you really want a Love pedal to pay attention to Ebay, Sean loves to put surprises up there.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    The irony of owning that, a 1watt martone and a 160 watt Mesa makes me smile on Friday morning.

Exhausted was right!

Actually, I wrote a thing up here before I snagged it, because I saw it listed, and then saw it here, and said anybody that wanted it should do it soon.
    I guess I pushed submit and it never made it up.

Well,

As of today, my PJ message pit pedal setup!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/DSC00449.jpg

Both arrived today, a Shannon Uniphase and the 1/2 watt! :cool:

Who woulda thunk that in 1975 I would need something to suppliment my 300 watt ampeg SVT,,, then the 160 watt Boogie and whatever wattage that Rivera, would be enough.
    Then (well always) a Fender Deluxe Reverb

Then a 1 Watt Martone tube amp with a master volume,

to a 1/2 watt amplifier smaller than an effect pedal! :D

My neighbors just heard me playing that! It's still pretty loud!

It's a pretty remarkable little thing! It's sure simple. I guess there's a battery in there. :D It's a metal box with 2 jacks and a knob.

The knob is basically for overdrive gain, not volume, so it STILL is pretty loud at the lowest setting! The breakup is really touch sensitive, too. VERY tube like. It's sort of Fender Deluxe breakup at lower settings and a bit of Marshall / Vox breakup sound when it's cranked. It doesn't really go clean though, which I may work on, and to control volume you need to use your guitar volume, unless you put it in a chain of pedals and use one of them for volume.

If you want volume control, and use your guitar, you'll need to fiddle with your capacitors so it doesn't lose the highs as you back off the volume.
    I used my Es-355 and it sounded fantastic but it's muddy when rolled off. I never fiddled with that one because I never needed to, but maybe now I will. I hate reaching those controls in a semihollowbody.

I stuck my Strat Deluxe in there and it sung, baby! That's wired to sound good when rolling off the volume.

I've only had it for an hour, so I have to fiddle with it. I was looking for something like this because it's 9 volt battery, no outside power plug. Maybe this and a little speaker, and a guitar, and give me a subway station and I'm happy! :)
    Somebody just asked me to play at an art loop tonight in Wilmington, so I'm taking this, a Roland Loop Station, and the Shannon trio and some sort of speaker. Uhh,,, in an hour! I guess I better work something out!

Sean is a good dude, and that thing is great. I should get ahold of him.

Upside so far: simple, great sound, and versatile gain sounds. I don't know how long the battery lasts, yet, though. 4 screws to get to it, and no 9 volt jack.
    TINY! :cool:

Downside is not much clean sound, but I'll know later after I play it for a while.

That Shannon Uniphase sounds amazing by the way! I haven't delved into it, but it's a beautiful sounding piece!
    Great one again , Eric Shannon.

And the Exhausted Grumpy Cockatiel switcheroo pedal is going with me tonight for a spare amp. (Deluxe)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I'd love to hear the compressor.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Dude, I have a Grumpy Cockatiel Switcher that looks exactly the same and a Shannon Uniphase. I had an orange Overdrive with switchable clipping but I sent it back after the beta test.

I'd love to hear the compressor.

The compressor is clean and fantastic! I'll write up more on that trio later! :D

I think you, Puremagic and I are the only ones with the famous Grumpy Cockatiels! :D
    Be kind, man

dammit!!!
  • exhausted wrote:
    yup. and none of them are wired properly.

dammit!!!

:D

And probably none of us noticed!

Well, my Grumpy Cockatiel is going public in about 20 minutes! It's going to the 1/2 watt amp and the Deluxe. I have bunch of the echo and delay pedals, and a boss loop station, and I'll just go play spacey art music at the gallery opening.
    If you just keep playing stuff and not stopping, nobody has a chance to boo!
    Be kind, man
    One problem I have to get through, though. There's only one knob on the thing, simplicity at it's finest, except that it's scratchy and noisy when you turn it, and sometimes just while you're playing it.
    Not usually a problem because I fix those things all the time, and usually you just spray some Blue Stuff tuner cleaner in there on your guitar pots, or amp controls and that cleans the dust out and quiets things down.

Well, I took it apart and the entire electronic section is epoxied with a big blob of grey glue. I'm sure that's for proprietary reasons so people don't clone it, but it renders the thing non-servicable and possibly not usable for me. :(

It uses 2 nine volt batteries, and the ones in there were the cheapo type non akaline, and the thing lasted all night though! :cool: It's pretty efficient for power usage. :)

I guess I'll try to get ahold of him to send it back. If you want one of these, I would ask that at least the one moving part (the knob) be left out of the glob of epoxy so you can service the thing, and either install a plug-in jack, or at least leave enough wire on the battery connectors out of the epoxy to allow that to be done later so that you can use a wall wart to power it. There's not much wire to work with in there now.

It DOES sound great, though! It doesn't play clean easily, like I said in that post above, you have to stick a .001 or .002 capacitor in your guitar, so it retains the high's when you back off the volume. More on that later. I used the Shannon Phaser before the amp, too. I could back off the volume and get clean that way, too. :cool:. A good volume pedal before the amp would work, too.

BTW,,, The Grumpy Cockatiel switcher worked great! :D
    Be kind, man
    You can dissolve that epoxy and get to the circuit with maybe paint stripper or some good old paint thinner I think. Or the other option might be to Email Sean and let him work on it, he might do it for free.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    You can dissolve that epoxy and get to the circuit with maybe paint stripper or some good old paint thinner I think. Or the other option might be to Email Sean and let him work on it, he might do it for free.

Yeah,,, I already did email. He's a good dude and I'm not worried about it being righted. I was thinking of paint stripper, but it's a big wad of goo, and I don't want to deal with that on a three day old pedal!

I really like the sound and the concept on this thing, so those are suggestions for you all if you want one.

You all want one! :D

I don't know what I'm going to use for a speaker yet either. I'm thinking a little 8 inch cabinet that I could put in a backpack, then I could be completely portable. That way I could run from the cops when I'm playing in the park! :D
    Be kind, man