Cash in your 401K

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have never seen anything like this before
Mint condition 55 Gold top, not even a mark on it. Solid Body just got it in. No price, but I would be willing to bet 100K is the ballpark.
A thing of beauty:
http://www.solidbodyguitar.com/195511gt1.htm
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Someone I know owns an original 50s Les Paul, its worth about $100,000 mabye more, the insurance on their house has been completley put on that guitar.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Someone I know owns an original 50s Les Paul, its worth about $100,000 mabye more, the insurance on their house has been completley put on that guitar.
    I know lots of guys who own them, none of them look like factory new :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Yeah, some of them can be pretty brutal, they've been battered around for nearly half a century.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c
  • JofZ wrote:
    I have never seen anything like this before
    Mint condition 55 Gold top, not even a mark on it. Solid Body just got it in. No price, but I would be willing to bet 100K is the ballpark.
    A thing of beauty:
    http://www.solidbodyguitar.com/195511gt1.htm

I'd put some new tuners and maybe rout the cavity out and throw some humbuckers in there! :D

If that's legit,,, and it looks like it might be,,, that's the greatest I've seen, too! :cool:

I had a 57 goldtop and 58 burst that I sold a few years back. They were in great shape, but nothing like that!

That should be in the Smithsonian!
    If I had that, I'd head up to New York on a Monday night and show it to Les Paul at the Iridium and say "thank you for these!"
    HE should be in the Smithsonian, too,,, but he still gigs every Monday night.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Two sets, every Monday! I saw him there about this time last year. Amazing. Despite the fact that his hands are wracked with arthritis. Anyone in NYC on a Monday night should check it out. So worth it.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have a ten dollar bill in my pocket that says mint condition '55 gold top all over it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'd put some new tuners and maybe rout the cavity out and throw some humbuckers in there! :D

If that's legit,,, and it looks like it might be,,, that's the greatest I've seen, too! :cool:

I had a 57 goldtop and 58 burst that I sold a few years back. They were in great shape, but nothing like that!

That should be in the Smithsonian!
    If I had that, I'd head up to New York on a Monday night and show it to Les Paul at the Iridium and say "thank you for these!"
    HE should be in the Smithsonian, too,,, but he still gigs every Monday night.

Wow! You sold a burst! What'd you get for it if you don't mind me asking.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Wow! You sold a burst! What'd you get for it if you don't mind me asking.

Well, about $55,000 at the time. That and the proceeds from the 57 paid for my cancer treatment that insurance wouldn't pay for.
    They're worth way more now in just a few years!
    Man I hated to let them go, but what the hell,,, I survived and I'm still here and I'm glad I bought those things in the late 60's! :D

I barely ever played them though. In reality, they didn't play or sound any better than one I have now,, a Classic with Seymour Duncan antiquities in it.
    There becomes a point when you own one of those things where you have to keep it right. My friends and I used to rent a controlled environment secure storage space for our stuff, and that gets expensive. You don't want that sucker to fall off the stand in the living room!

Yup, and if you're in New York,,, go see Les Paul on Monday nights! He's 90 and you watch living history playing right in front of you!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I barely ever played them though. In reality, they didn't play or sound any better than one I have now,, a Classic with Seymour Duncan antiquities in it.
    There becomes a point when you own one of those things where you have to keep it right. My friends and I used to rent a controlled environment secure storage space for our stuff, and that gets expensive. You don't want that sucker to fall off the stand in the living room!

Yup, and if you're in New York,,, go see Les Paul on Monday nights! He's 90 and you watch living history playing right in front of you!

Wow... I'm glad your alright. I was in NYC with a school trip and passed by the club on a monday, but obviously couldn't sneak in. The thought crossed my mind though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • whats with it being strung that way through the tail peice
    ive seen mike do that to
    does it help it stay in tune or something?
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • pearljam7 wrote:
    whats with it being strung that way through the tail peice
    ive seen mike do that to
    does it help it stay in tune or something?

Apparantly it increases sustain.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Apparantly it increases sustain.

My LP Jr is strung like that, no tune-o-matic bridge, and it definitely helps sustain, as that thing can sustain all day! Its either that, or the fact that the guitar is just a slab of mahogany with a pickup mounted right into the body. Or both.
  • moster78 wrote:
    My LP Jr is strung like that, no tune-o-matic bridge, and it definitely helps sustain, as that thing can sustain all day! Its either that, or the fact that the guitar is just a slab of mahogany with a pickup mounted right into the body. Or both.

I've always liked the LP Juniors.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've always liked the LP Juniors.

Love mine.
  • my uncle has a mint condition 67 les paul gold top. it has one surface gauge (just hit clear, all paint still intact) and the toggle swith plastic tip is cracked. other than that 100 percent mint and a 100 percent original. he bought it for 600 dollars in the early 80's. just so you know, i'm in the will for it!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • my uncle has a mint condition 67 les paul gold top. it has one surface gauge (just hit clear, all paint still intact) and the toggle swith plastic tip is cracked. other than that 100 percent mint and a 100 percent original. he bought it for 600 dollars in the early 80's. just so you know, i'm in the will for it!

Lucky bastard!