Neils's Old Black and Re-issue photos for Who's pearljam

JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
The real Old Black:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/NeilsPaul.jpg

The Re-issue as sold throughout Japan by Gibson Custom Art and Historic:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b291/JofZ/44040_b.gif

Enjoy guys, this is the best photo of Old Black I have ever seen. it is recent as well.
WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
BJF powers my Pedal Board
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That is one of the coolest Les Pauls I have ever seen.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    That is one of the coolest Les Pauls I have ever seen.
    Minihumbucker and all, I bet that baby has been to more places, seen more things and traveled more miles then I ever will :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    JofZ wrote:
    Minihumbucker and all, I bet that baby has been to more places, seen more things and traveled more miles then I ever will :)

part of the allure of Neil Young. There are times I wish I could do that too. Such a good song writer, he wrote about everything. I have "old man" stuck in my head from the radio a few nights ago. His tone is something that is legendary I know but truely rarely explained.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    part of the allure of Neil Young. There are times I wish I could do that too. Such a good song writer, he wrote about everything. I have "old man" stuck in my head from the radio a few nights ago. His tone is something that is legendary I know but truely rarely explained.

All I know is if I play a solo and only hit an open b string I get really funny looks, when Neil does it, he gets called back for an encore :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    All I know is if I play a solo and only hit an open b string I get really funny looks, when Neil does it, he gets called back for an encore :)

Is there any wonder Ed learned a lot of stuff from Neil? :D
  • Thanks, man!
    Yup, that’s the one. A ‘53 or so. Another accident of the 50’s!

That guitar and that tone is my favorite one on this planet.
    That’s an old Firebird pickup that’s got a bunch of loose wires in it and is just one of those ones is just right! (Right for him, but I bet most guitarists would play it and say "What a piece of crap” Only Neil knows how to drive that car!) My friend says that when they’re setting up and play that thing, nobody else can make it sound like Neil can.

That tone is just amazing. The last time he was around here was the Greendale tour. My friend was on the stage team for him, so I got backstage to get a look at the Paul, and the old Deluxe.
    I guess Neil’s ear is so good he can tell the different between 115 and 120 volts, and they have their own sine wave generator for overseas to change the 50 cycles over there to our 60 to keep that Deluxe humming.

The Greendale show was amazing, but after the show, Crazy Horse came out, and when he just stood there silent, then:
    “Look out Momma there’s a white boat comin’ up the river”,,,, then the first few notes of that solo you could see thrill and chills and tears in so many people's eyes, including mine. That tone and trill has spoken to so many people it’s incredible!

I have an old SG that's put a lot of miles on, but I bet there's nobody writing about it on a message board anywhere! :D
    I'll have to drum up a pic.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

japan always gets the cool stuff.
  • you can literly talk through that firebird pickup, like a cheap mic
    i have this great word document with detailed descriptions of all of his gear
    if anyone wants it PM me
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    JofZ wrote:

I want that. I read somewhere that they are selling in the $6,000 - $7, 000 price range.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits