even flow tuning

ski4ski4 Posts: 261
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
in a tab book i have for "ten" it show the guitar tuning is down a 1/2 step.. it just doestn't sound right.
on the tb2k and garden video it looks like stone is playing the verse in the first position, which is also not how my tab book has it. did they change the way they play thins song over the years or the tuning, when i play with standard tuning in the first position like stone it seems to sound better to me, any ideas
"The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    open D for at least one guitar:

DADF#AD
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • Originally posted by djyman15
    open D for at least one guitar:

DADF#AD

What this one said (don't know if it's a he or she)
    I want to show you something, like joy inside my head. Seems I've been living in the Temple of the Dog, where would I live if I were a man of golden words?
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    check it out on http://www.giventowail.com

they have it sorted out for you
  • Pretty sure stone plays in open d and mike in standard tuning though I also have that book that says 1/2 step down . . . it is incorrect however...try playing along to the record tuned a half step down and it sounds like crap
    Whips of your opinion down my back give me more

Jeff Buckley
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    Originally posted by PlayfulBanter
    Pretty sure stone plays in open d and mike in standard tuning though I also have that book that says 1/2 step down . . . it is incorrect however...try playing along to the record tuned a half step down and it sounds like crap

exactly
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    its a "he" :)
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    yeah DE Pj bOys seD de 'OFFICIAl' 10 bOOK IS nOT 100% CORRECt and dat THEY NEW Noffin OF It UnTiL iT had bIn releaseD

MONKEYNUTS DUnNo wot stONES TUnin WILl B BuT mIKE ONCE SED HE NEARLy ALWAYS PlaYS IN STAndarD TuNIn AS he fiNDS It harder to solo wen In alTERNATiVE TUnins. so B cos even fLOW conTAins one of his maiN SOLos HE WILl alMost certaiNlY B PLAYiN In staNDARD TUNIN
  • Yeah, I remember reading an article with an interview of Mike, where Mike said that he always plays in standard tuning and that he can't use all the alt. tunings like Stone. That he has to just play by ear when Stone uses an alt. tuning. It gave Evenflow as an example and said that Stone plays open D tuning D-A-D-F#-A-D (as mentioned above) while Mike plays in open tuning.
    Montréal 8/20/98
    Saratoga 8/27/00
    Buffalo 5/2/03
    Hershey 7/12/03
    Reading 10/1/04
    Ottawa 9/16/05
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    good, my ear is still good then
    thanks guys