Options

fender or peavey

ski4ski4 Posts: 261
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am getting annoyed with my marshall master reverb 30, an old 80's or early 90's solid state single channel 1 12 amp. i am looking to a fender hot rod or peavey classic any ideas as to which is more reliable? i played a peavey classic 50 and loved it with the 4 10's but really don't want an amp that big. 2-12 or a single 12 is about as big as i want. i am stuck i love the fender tone as well.
thanks
"The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Peavey dude.
    Ha ha I've a custy
  • Options
    pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Fender mate.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    fender twin reverb.
  • Options
    WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Fender Bassman 10
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    they are about equal in quality and reliability

Personally I like the classic 50's a lot.

You might look at a fender deluxe reverb (they look great in the new classic tweed)

Peavy makes an amp called the Delta Blues with 1 15" speaker and a tube driven tremelo in it that has a lot of potential an its only slightly bigger than my Orange AD15/12 which is a 1x12 combo.

The Delta Blues should be in your price range as well.

If you get an opportunity, before you buy check out a Mesa F-30
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Between the two amps, the Peavey tends to have more bottom, and the Fender tends to have more sparkle. I believe both are very reliable, with little difference there. I don't like the speakers in either... my recommendation there would be to pick up a Mesa Boogie Black Shadow speaker, whichever amp you get. Those speakers are tailor-made for that kind of amp.

Like Paco said, the Delta Blues amp by Peavey is very nice... also available now in a 2x10" version. And the little Mesa combos, while heavy and plain-looking, are damned nice amps. I second their nomination.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    MESA f-30 OR DIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Here's a link for Mesa speakers... You'd just make sure and match the impedance ratings.

http://store.yahoo.com/mesa/gigbagandsli.html
  • Options
    thanks for all the input
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    kristkrist Posts: 1
    FENDER!
  • Options
    well, i went with the classic 30, it really sounds sweet out of the box, there is some wicked tube rattle, but i hope to iron out that problem this week. but such a nice tone for the price.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ski4
    well, i went with the classic 30, it really sounds sweet out of the box, there is some wicked tube rattle, but i hope to iron out that problem this week. but such a nice tone for the price.

Good choice... for the money, there really isn't a better amp. Let us know how it treats you after a few days of playing!
  • Options
    good choice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    it's about a week old and i love it. for songs like grievance and insignificance it's a natural right out of the box. the tube rattle bugs me, so tomorrow i will take it in to see if they will swap out the tubes, but i really can't be more happy for the price. and the clean channel, wow is all i can say,. now to find a cheap tube screamer and i am back in bussiness. i have laid off the strings for years i forgot how fun it is sometimes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ski4
    it's about a week old and i love it. for songs like grievance and insignificance it's a natural right out of the box. the tube rattle bugs me, so tomorrow i will take it in to see if they will swap out the tubes, but i really can't be more happy for the price. and the clean channel, wow is all i can say,. now to find a cheap tube screamer and i am back in bussiness. i have laid off the strings for years i forgot how fun it is sometimes.

I know for a fact that a TS-9 into the clean channel is MONEY through those amps. You will be pleased...
  • Options
    sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Depending on your price range, there are a multitude of overdrive options based on the tubescreamer you are looking for. The TS7 (ToneLok) from Ibanez is a good deal for the price, It's also a good candidate for a pedal modification, so later on when you have 50 more bucks or so you can get it modded to be perfect.

see Robert Keeleys opinions at http://www.robertkeeley.com

also, facts about Tube Screamers can be found at http://www.analogman.com
  • Options
    thanks alot, very cool links