best strat pick ups

ski4ski4 Posts: 261
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am thinking about repalcing my mexican pickups in a 93 strat, what would you guys recommend?
"The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Lindy Fralins.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

If you don't want to spend that much, Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks, or Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 2.0's or Vintage Blues are also good.

Suhr V60's or Tom Andersons are also the Dogs Balls.

The Fralins are custom wound.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've got duncan classic stacks in mine.
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    what type of a sound do the classic stacks give compared to stock
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by ski4
    what type of a sound do the classic stacks give compared to stock

a little bit more full range. not as ice-pick bright. and no hum.
    cool, thanks
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Lindy Fralins.

http://www.fralinpickups.com/

If you don't want to spend that much, Seymour Duncan Vintage Stacks, or Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 2.0's or Vintage Blues are also good.

Suhr V60's or Tom Andersons are also the Dogs Balls.

The Fralins are custom wound.

right on with the fralins......i have some in a jazz styled bass i put together with warmouth body and neck....i'm using bartolini electronics and i think these are the best sounding pick ups i've had.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    i always wanted to replace my 3 single pickups with 2 singles and a double at the bottom but then i'd have to get a new pickgaurd and that gets kinda pricy.
    that and i know shit all about pickups
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
    Originally posted by the unseen
    right on with the fralins......i have some in a jazz styled bass i put together with warmouth body and neck....i'm using bartolini electronics and i think these are the best sounding pick ups i've had.

yeah, you pretty much can't beat bartolini's in a bass I think. great punch and volume.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    yeah, you pretty much can't beat bartolini's in a bass I think. great punch and volume.

well.....while i was waiting on the body and neck to arrive i dropped the fralins in a fender jazz.....and they sounded great in that as well.....i dont think you can beat their pick ups...no matter what model they are in.
    Originally posted by the unseen
    well.....while i was waiting on the body and neck to arrive i dropped the fralins in a fender jazz.....and they sounded great in that as well.....i dont think you can beat their pick ups...no matter what model they are in.

Lindy is a genius. You can request down to the number of wire turns on pretty much anything. I personally don't think the original pickups were crafted with so much care. They are exactly the same thing minus aging you'd get in an original guitar from the 50's or 60's and the custom winds like the blues special are dead on. You definately get what you pay for.
  • jjimbeamjjimbeam Posts: 9
    duncan jb junior
    www.ransomrock.com
    www.myspace.com/ransom
    Originally posted by jjimbeam
    duncan jb junior

are these the little humbuckers
  • jjimbeamjjimbeam Posts: 9
    yep, about 60 to 80 bucks, can't remeber. I had them in my strat before I sold it. I had regular fender in the neck, and jb in the bridge. It gave it a thicker sound. Plus you don't have to cut or modify anything on the guitar.
    www.ransomrock.com
    www.myspace.com/ransom