bzz problems

isisisis Posts: 34
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I don't know technical stuff about guitars or theory.

I just own a cheap acoustic and a cheap electric and have some fun playing (badly enough).

Anyway, I have a problem with the humble squier strat.

Lately strings (especially G) bzzz (don't know if it is the right way to say it) on the first three or four frets. I can't stand it.

I think I should go for a set up or something like that, but I'm wondering if it is worth the expense considering that it is "only" a cheap squier.

The guitar is about 1 year old and I'd like to know if it is normal to have to go for a set up every year.

Do more expensive guitar have the same kind of problems?

Your advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
I don't want to hear from those who know
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    All wood guitars can have this problem, more expensive guitars are usually built with stronger or more numerous truss rods which help to eliminate the normal expanding and contracting of the wood which causes intonation problems.

A set up is worth it by far on the little squire, I had one done on my Peavy and (about the same quality) several years ago and I think it was well worth it. Temperture and humidity as well as string tension are the main contributors to string buzz but also look at your frets to see if they are worn and gouged out or flat in the middle under the strings, if this is so it needs what's called a re crown and polish to eliminate the buzz. Choose the string gauge you want and stick too it. Choosing strings too heavy or too light for the set up can allow the neck to bend too far front or back causing problems.

Good luck.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Right on, pacomc79. Not much to add to what he said, except to say he's right. The squire is definately worth getting set up. It's really not that big of a deal and you'll be glad you did.
  • isisisis Posts: 34
    Thank you!

I'll go for it.

I've found on the web a place that is not far from here and where they do the job.

Seems to be a place where they build fancy guitars.

Hope they won't laugh at my baby!
    Originally posted by isis
    Thank you!

I'll go for it.

I've found on the web a place that is not far from here and where they do the job.

Seems to be a place where they build fancy guitars.

Hope they won't laugh at my baby!

They won't laugh everyone starts somewhere hell my guitars aren't great or beautiful either. Doctors and Lawyers that play once a year have some of the most beautiful guitars you'll ever see.

I think you'll be suprised at how nice it sounds and how easy it is to play. New strings and a good setup can make a guitar that feels crappy much more fun to play.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    ok, I was joking, I'm not embarrassed or something about it.
    It is so nice to me!

But listen one more thing, if I have it set up, do you think that the problem will be solved once and for all or, due to the poor quality of the wood, humidity or whatever (I'm just guessing) after a while it will start again with the bzzzing?

Thanks so much for your advice!
    ok, I was joking, I'm not embarrassed or something about it.
    It is so nice to me!

But listen one more thing, if I have it set up, do you think that the problem will be solved once and for all or, due to the poor quality of the wood, humidity or whatever (I'm just guessing) after a while it will start again with the bzzzing?

Thanks so much for your advice!

The problem is constant and under some extreme climate conditions happens quite frequently. However, because the quality control is so poor at Fender's China factory most Squires never come with a proper set up. My guitar had a set up 2 maybe 2.5 years ago and I haven't had any problems since. If you faithfully replace strings with the same gauge you have it set up for the problem will most likely not rear its ugly head very often if at all. String Tension is the main cause of intonation and buzzing problems.
    ok, thanks again
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    The best thing to do with a Squier or any cheap guitar is beat the crap out of it, McCready style (imagine his old sunburst Strat). That way anyone who sees it will immediately think you have indie cred and their esteem of you will multiply by 10 ;)
  • I've never thought of if that way, Hyla. You may be on to something.
    I've followed your advice and took the guitar to the doctor.

Now it doesn't fry anymore (well it fries a little on a couple of strings but just on two frets), has a lower action and strings (ernie ball 9) are new and sooo easy to play.

This leads me to the next question: how often should I change strings, assuming I play about 1 hour a day?

The guy at the shop said every two months.

He also said that strings 9 are too small for strats, but that if I decide to change them I'll have to have the set up done again.

I paid 38 euros. Is that a good price?

your thoughts would be much appreciated

I've followed your advice and took the guitar to the doctor.

Now it doesn't fry anymore (well it fries a little on a couple of strings but just on two frets), has a lower action and strings (ernie ball 9) are new and sooo easy to play.

This leads me to the next question: how often should I change strings, assuming I play about 1 hour a day?

The guy at the shop said every two months.

He also said that strings 9 are too small for strats, but that if I decide to change them I'll have to have the set up done again.

I paid 38 euros. Is that a good price?

your thoughts would be much appreciated

38 Euros might be a little high but adding in the cost of strings there and you probably paied him around 30 bucks for labor. Still a little bit high but not too bad. He's got to pay taxes too.

I'd stick with 9's for a while. Enjoy it. If it's too slinky and you're getting too much string interaction when you strum you can always go heavier. 9's are put on most Strats nowadays. I prefer 10's and some even go heavier than that depending on thier hand size and strength.

Every 2 months or so is a good rule. I usually play till they get dull to me rusty or lifeless. When it becomes no fun to play it's time to change. When my strings are getting older I'll wait till I break one as incentive to go buy a new pack. Instead of changing sizes experiment with brands of 9's now to see which brand you like best.

Hey, thanks!!

I like 9 they are easy to play and I don't get tired even with lots of barre chords.

The guy said that, being so tiny, they are attracted by some magnet, which should create some kind of distortion in the sound.

What about acoustic strings? what is the better size ?

Thanks a lot
    the magnets he speaks of are in the pickup. 6 individual pole pieces. The magnet picks up the vibrations of the string translating that to the amplifier and consequently the speaker.

I use 11's on my acoustic. 10's on my Les Paul and currently 9's on my strat copy.

11's are generally light on acoustic. Regular or medium is a 12.

Just depends on your style and how much you bend (hand strength) as to what you want.

I like my 11's a lot. I use Elixir light's on acoustic.

Some people prefer Martin SP's.