Finally! Got myself a tube amp :D

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
After months of saving and deliberating on which amp to get, i finally bit the bullet and got myself a tube amp. Went with a Peavey Delta Blues 115 off of ebay. Only 2 months old and got it for $385. Comes with an added tube guard and an amp cover. I CANNOT WAIT until this baby arrives at my doorstep. See ya shitty solid-state crate, hello to sweet tube tone:).

MMM, can't wait to hear my Shannon Overdrive through this tweed beauty:D.
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    After months of saving and deliberating on which amp to get, i finally bit the bullet and got myself a tube amp. Went with a Peavey Delta Blues 115 off of ebay. Only 2 months old and got it for $385. Comes with an added tube guard and an amp cover. I CANNOT WAIT until this baby arrives at my doorstep. See ya shitty solid-state crate, hello to sweet tube tone:).

MMM, can't wait to hear my Shannon Overdrive through this tweed beauty:D.

mmmmm most excellent! congrats preston, welcome... let me know how the delta blues is! ive always been keeping my eye on it..

I wonder how good the overdrive and sonic distortion would sound through it:)

haha, i wish i could be there to see your face light up after you play through a tube amp...haha...WORLDS difference
  • 62strat wrote:
    mmmmm most excellent! congrats preston, welcome... let me know how the delta blues is! ive always been keeping my eye on it..

I wonder how good the overdrive and sonic distortion would sound through it:)

haha, i wish i could be there to see your face light up after you play through a tube amp...haha...WORLDS difference
    speaking of the sonic distortion...cough cough.

Brian, i cannot fucking wait. I probably won't leave my room for days :). Now i can actually sound glorious...rather than shitty!

I'll for sure post a review on it once i give it a go for a few hours. I have a feeling i'm going to need to get myself a volume box in order to prevent eviction.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    speaking of the sonic distortion...cough cough.

Brian, i cannot fucking wait. I probably won't leave my room for days :). Now i can actually sound glorious...rather than shitty!

I'll for sure post a review on it once i give it a go for a few hours. I have a feeling i'm going to need to get myself a volume box in order to prevent eviction.

ah fuck it...do it during the day ...

ill let you know on the sonic distortion, i emailed eric about the shannon distortion to see if he had any left...not sure he would though, then i just dont know what id do without the sonic! but ill keeo you posted. do you have paypal?
  • 62strat wrote:
    ah fuck it...do it during the day ...

ill let you know on the sonic distortion, i emailed eric about the shannon distortion to see if he had any left...not sure he would though, then i just dont know what id do without the sonic! but ill keeo you posted. do you have paypal?
    yes i have paypal...and there's some money just waiting to be sent to you :).

i've been looking on ebay for SD-9's as well and found some good deals, but i'm just tentative to buy a 20+ year old pedal from some random person. Not to mention, i'd love to help you attain a shannon distortion...yeah, that's it...i'm doing it for you, not myself!!! ;)

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Now i can actually sound glorious...rather than shitty!

Glorius is the same word I used to desribe the tone on my new guit fiddle.

When a new tone hits you it really is awesome.
    There's No Code.
    yes i have paypal...and there's some money just waiting to be sent to you :).

i've been looking on ebay for SD-9's as well and found some good deals, but i'm just tentative to buy a 20+ year old pedal from some random person. Not to mention, i'd love to help you attain a shannon distortion...yeah, that's it...i'm doing it for you, not myself!!! ;)

interesente...ill keep you posted!

So when is your new child expected to arrive?
  • 62strat wrote:
    interesente...ill keep you posted!

So when is your new child expected to arrive?
    yeah, for sure keep me posted on that SD-9. I SHOULD be getting an MXR 90 for my bday, so once i get a distortion all i will need is a delay and my pedalboard should be pretty set!

I just bought my tweed baby 40 minutes ago and it is being shipped from Florida...so you're guess is as good as mine. Hopefully will have it in less than a week *crosses fingers*

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    yea im still riding the solid state train at the moment. though my amp has semiacceptable clean.

The phase 90 reissues are awesome, you'll have lots of fun. but do the r28 mod and you have a damn good pedal for like 60 bucks
  • KillerIsMe wrote:
    yea im still riding the solid state train at the moment. though my amp has semiacceptable clean.

The phase 90 reissues are awesome, you'll have lots of fun. but do the r28 mod and you have a damn good pedal for like 60 bucks
    my solid state had a decent clean channel, but the drive channel blew ass.

what does the r28 mod do? I assume it's a Keeley mod? The mod itself runs 60 bucks?

• KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    basically you cut out the r28 resistor.

you'll notice when you get the phaser that it distorts like mad when your playing clean and the effect is almost a little too pronouced.
    the mod will make it sound like the original ones. best of all it makes it usuable for clean and mellows the effect to make it sound infintesimally better.

its easy as hell to do, hell you can do it with a box cutter like i did. all you have to do is cut one of the leads of the resistor right above the output jack. there are a fewof diagrams and bunch of better explanations elsewhere on the internet.

its no problem if you like to take things apart and fiddle.
  • quick update:

the amp is wonderful. Came today, beautiful. loud as fuck. I've got the beast on volume 2 and wow. Gotta get myself the volume box before i get evicted. That's all i've got for now...gotta go play!

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    quick update:

the amp is wonderful. Came today, beautiful. loud as fuck. I've got the beast on volume 2 and wow. Gotta get myself the volume box before i get evicted. That's all i've got for now...gotta go play!

How's the 15" treating you? Is it pretty bright?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • How's the 15" treating you? Is it pretty bright?
    I really like it. Give a very full sound. It is quite bright, especially when it's turned up (haha, by that i mean to 3 1/2) but it was no problem to balance the EQ to exactly how i like it.

I was quite impressed with the gain channel of the amp. Gives out a pretty nice overdrive tone...which was part of my reasoning to chose the Delta Blues over a Hot Rod Deluxe (i'd read that the gain channel was shit). Built-in tremelo is decent...nothing amazing but is still kinda neat.

The only ? mark i have about the amp is that there is a boost switch on the amp. It's a nice feature but isn't very feasible when you're going into a solo and need a boost...you're not gonna run over to your amp and hit the switch....just too bad it's not footswitchable.

It's sad though...i've only maybe gotten an hours worth of playing on it today and it's driving me crazy. Classes all day and now work the overnight...tomorrow I plan on spending a good 4 or 5 hours with it, and once Strat sends me his SD-9 and i get my delay (which i'm still undecided on)...i won't be leaving my room.