Recommend me a Delay pedal...

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all...i'm thinkin about getting a delay pedal one of these days and i'm not too sure what to get. Now, yes it would be great to have 200 bucks layin around to go get an AD-9 or DM-2 but that's just not the case.

I need a moderately priced delay, so that probably means a digital delay i'd imagine. Right now i have a couple in mind: Dan Echo, Ibanez DE-7, and Danelectro PB&J. Anyone have anything to say about any of these 3 and anyone have any suggestions about different delays to consider? Thanks.
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had a dan-echo and liked it. i only dumped it when i got a line6 DL4.

i hear awesome things about the DE-7 too but i haven't played one.

the PB&J had promise but i just found it too small. it sounded good though.
  • I love my Boss dd-6.
    Its my favorite pedal.
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • ibanez AD-9 (if you can stand the pink, gasps)

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=3781952981&rd=1

save your money for a week or two,
    get your $100 togeather

and buy an analog delay.

just my sentiments.

unless you are going for over the top 11second delays
    shudders.

don't forget that analog delays (any delay for that matter i suppose)
    when cranked to infinite delay time (10)
    can seriously fuk your amp (tube amp)

have fun
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • I'm a digital-delay guy, so...

I liked the PB&J. Sounded great, so good I almost bought it (after I already had a DD-6 ordered).

The Dan-Echo has a great reputation, but I don't have any experience.

If you can find a deal on a used DD-5, they're pretty good... ditto the DD-3...

Ultimately, you have two options... try to get a good one now, or get a cheaper one now and save for something great (like an AD-9, a DD-20, or a DL-4). I think the DD-20 and the DL-4 are the ultimate delay pedals... reliable, great options, great sound. The only thing better than those are getting a half-dozen fx... like a Deluxe Memory Man, a Space Echo, and a couple TC Electronics digital units. But you don't want to actually OWN a Memory Man or a Space Echo... talk about high maintenance... and those TC Electronic boxes are $2000 apiece. Great for The Edge... terrible for us...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i got a Line 6 Delay Modeler and its great its got all the delays you could ever need and a sampler that is great for laying down ideas
    Cornell pwns u
  • pantopanto Posts: 4
    What about the Line 6 Echo park?
  • C-minor wrote:
    I love my Boss dd-6.
    Its my favorite pedal.
    i have one of those and i loveeeeee it to no ends.

its fairly inexpensive too, 120 or so. (worth every fucking penny of it).
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • panto wrote:
    What about the Line 6 Echo park?

It seems like an adequate unit, and has a lot of options. Really, it's like they tried to stuff the DL-4 into a smaller box for a better price. But I'd rather have my DD-6 or the full-on DL-4. It's a lot of features, and good sound quality, for a reasonable price, though... worth trying out. The only complaint I've heard about any of those pedals is that they're god-aweful ugly...

But I'm really interested in their Tap Tremolo in that same series, so...

They have a lot of good sound samples on the web site:

http://www.line6.com/tonecore/echoPark.html
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I love my DL-4, so I would save up if you can.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • I think you should look into a visual sound liquid H20 chorus/echo. Visual Sound makes good pedals. And you'd get 2 good, usable effects for about 120 - 150 bucks.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • I think you should look into a visual sound liquid H20 chorus/echo. Visual Sound makes good pedals. And you'd get 2 good, usable effects for about 120 - 150 bucks.
    yeah i had seen that one and been wondering about it. The fact is, i don't really know how much i'd use the chorus, so if i were to spend 150 on a delay, i'd go analog probably.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Hey, whatever makes you happy. I'm looking at getting one because I play in a cover band, and no one can really tell if I'm using analog or digital. Plus I get a good chorus too.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."