I don't know what delay to get...

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Birthday's comin up on friday and my wonderful girlfriend has agreed to go to the music store with me and let me pick out a pedal. So far i have a Shannon OD, MXR Phase 90, and Dunlop 535Q wah into a Peavey Delta Blues.

So i'm going to get a delay, but I need to know what you guys think of these different delays...advantages, disadvantages, etc. Keep in mind that she's not gonna buy me a 200 dollar delay either :). So, here are the choices that i've narrowed it down to (if anyone has other suggestions around the same price range, feel free to list it).

Boss DD-3 - $109
Boss DD-5 - $139
Boss DD-6 - $159
Ibanez AD-9 Reissue - $139
Line 6 MS-1 Echo Park - $149

How do the Boss pedals compare with each other (other than price of course:)) How do the above pedals compare with cheaper pedals like the Danelectro Dan-Echo and PB&J, Ibanez DE-7, etc. etc.

I still haven't decided if i want digital or analog...both have their positives and negatives. Anyone have any experience with the AD-9 reissue?...is it a faithful reproduction of the original, etc. etc.

there are just so many damn choices...
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've got an EH Memory Man deluxe which is incredible but doesn't have as many functions as the Boss ones. If I were you I'd go for the DD-6....
    www.FatherParanoia.com
  • Ibanez Analog Delay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    im a fan of the dan echo its an analog sound. i dont know if they still make those. doesnt your guitar shop let you try out the pedals? spend a day with your girlfriend there or just go there the day before.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    In that price range, I'd look at either the DD-6 or the AD-9, so the question you need to answer is, analog or digital?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Ibanez analog. That's still a lot of money for a gf to shell out. I'd feel weird about it personally...but I'm not the kind of guy who's ever comfortable receiving gifts :)

Great gf you have...if she supports your musical interests, you better hold onto her :D
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    look hard at the Echo Park, but the DD-6 will suit you well.

Try out the Analog, the digitals are more versatile. Choose the one you like the best, but attempt to try it out with a similar set up to your own.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Also check out the Akai Headrush
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    Also check out the Akai Headrush

those are getting pretty scarce. Cool though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Tim7514Tim7514 Posts: 6
    I have Ibanez DE-7
    it's Delay/Echo
    not bad and it was $70
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Ibanez analog. That's still a lot of money for a gf to shell out. I'd feel weird about it personally...but I'm not the kind of guy who's ever comfortable receiving gifts :)

Great gf you have...if she supports your musical interests, you better hold onto her :D
    Yeah, she's very cool about my musical interests...understands that expanding my set-up is important to me, god bless her :).
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    look hard at the Echo Park
    i just fiddled around with it for 15 minutes. I don't care much for it...seemed they tried to squeeze in too many half-assed effects, and a lot of them i would never use. That's why i'm leaning towards the Ibanez analog delay, pretty much straight-forward and simple.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Tim7514 wrote:
    I have Ibanez DE-7
    it's Delay/Echo
    not bad and it was $70
    It's gotten quite a hype, at least for it's price... although the ad-9 has the huge analog-cool factor, I still need to do a big comparison day myself.

I also still need to find a girlfriend like that :)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Yah, so maybe you should wait a little and see how the keeley Ad9 turns out. That's what I am doing.

I am also gonna be going for a shannon phaser if he or mig ever get some sound samples done :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Tim7514Tim7514 Posts: 6
    DE-7 is definitly worth the price, I use it alot

i just fiddled around with it for 15 minutes. I don't care much for it...seemed they tried to squeeze in too many half-assed effects, and a lot of them i would never use. That's why i'm leaning towards the Ibanez analog delay, pretty much straight-forward and simple.

I detest the looks of those pedals too. I love my DL-4.

The AD-9 is fairly versatile as well and you can coax a variety of tones out of it if you spend some time learning how to use it.

The DD-6 is extremely flexible but again it may be more than you want. While many of us preach analog everything, some people prefer the cold precision of digital. Just play around with everything you can before you buy. You have a month, and a really cool girlfriend.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    those are getting pretty scarce. Cool though.

So worth it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"