Ukulele question

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So i've kinda had the urge to get myself a Uke as of late. It seems easy, fun, and it's something different. In Musician's Friend they have two listed, both for only 20 bucks (i figure that'd be good for starters). One is a Soprano and the other is a Baritone. Now i'm not sure, but i'm gonna guess that Ed plays a Soprano...am i right?
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    He plays a Tenor uke :)
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • he plays a tenor uke,....but the most popular uke is the soprano,.....i myself took up the instrument a few years back, of course it was when Binuaral came out :)......but all the books and etc are mostly for the soprano,...i have a soprano and a baritone uke, the baritone just sits in the corner,.....
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
  • so would i still be able to play songs such as Can't Keep and Soon Forget with a Soprano rather than a Tenor uke?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Originally posted by don't_go_on_me
    so would i still be able to play songs such as Can't Keep and Soon Forget with a Soprano rather than a Tenor uke?
    anyone know?

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    All ukeleles play the same, they are just different keys. It's like the difference between a half-sized guitar, a full-sized guitar, a baritone guitar, and a bass. If you know how to play one, you can play them all. It will just be pitched higher or lower.

If my memory serves correct, a soprano is a bit higher-pitched than a tenor.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    All ukeleles play the same, they are just different keys. It's like the difference between a half-sized guitar, a full-sized guitar, a baritone guitar, and a bass. If you know how to play one, you can play them all. It will just be pitched higher or lower.

If my memory serves correct, a soprano is a bit higher-pitched than a tenor.
    i knew you'd come through for me and answer my question, thanks MIS.

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have no idea what my uke is...... it has 4 strings and it sounds good though!!!
    Originally posted by don't_go_on_me
    i knew you'd come through for me and answer my question, thanks MIS.

You're welcome, certainly...

And it's MIG. Mr. MIG, thank you.

TAFKAMIG, if you please.
  • my hot friend's younger bro has a uke and got me wanting one. anyone seen any online cheap like the $20 one said earlier?
  • Originally posted by Anthropoid76
    my hot friend's younger bro has a uke and got me wanting one. anyone seen any online cheap like the $20 one said earlier?

where did they get it?
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
  • hawaii :D
  • Originally posted by Anthropoid76
    hawaii :D

shit, i live in chicago!
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Search for "ukelele".
  • gracias
    Originally posted by Anthropoid76
    gracias

If you want a NICE uke, there are some out there...

Martin makes one of the best traditional ukes.

Although it might be hard to justify spending more than $100 on a ukelele.

Happy hunting...
    If you want a NICE uke, there are some out there...

Martin makes one of the best traditional ukes.

Although it might be hard to justify spending more than $100 on a ukelele.

Happy hunting...

$100 is a lot of money for a teenager
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
    Originally posted by bbruzze clues13

It's been a while since I was a teenager, and it's still a lot of money to me.
    It's been a while since I was a teenager, and it's still a lot of money to me.

hehe
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
  • Originally posted by bbruzze clues13

$20 is a lot to me :-P
  • i just got $50 dollars for a delyed graduation, so its all cool now
    Abbruzzese is fosh!!!
  • I bought my first ukulele from http://www.ukuleleworld.com -- A Tenor Hilo brand. I got some package deal with a case and everything

I can tell you-- sopranos will not sound like what Ed plays. You'll be needing a concert size or tenor. I have everything but a baritone size--- I prefer my Tenors.

OH-- and if you're looking for a nice upgrade-- try out a Tenor Fluke Uke-- they are great to play and sound better then some of my wood ukes. They sell em at http://fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=5 -- A little pricier-- but they sound great and stand up by themselves.. so they're nice to set around and just have handy--- great times.

Ukuleleworld.com has tons of bargains though-- whatever your price range is.
    i am jack's ukulele
  • I got mine from ukuleleworld.com as well, it's a mahalo concert/tenor uke. It's just a tad too small to be a tenor, but mahalo lists it as a tenor. It was only like $70 and I got a free cheap soprano uke!
    When this just feels like spinning plates.