Gibson SG Classic w/P-90s

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517127/

anyone have one? play one? I have the hankerin for a new geetar and this baby has caught my eye. Seems like a solid price for a Gibson SG.

Mainly i wanna know about p-90s. I know Pete Townshend was big on them. I also know Ed had a p90 on his telecaster that he used on the VFC tour. Give me some ideas on the sound. They're singlie coil right? so how noisy are they (compared to strats). Can they give a pretty beefy tone?

any info you can share about the P-90s or the guitar itself would be much appreciated.
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    P-90's are big fat single coils. Smokey Blusey tone. Brighter than humbuckers. Fatter than strat and tele traditional type single coils.

The who Live at the Isle of Wight should give you a Good Idea. Also, Ed's tone on say "gimme some truth" from the DVD.

There are sample sounds on the gibson website.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the noise would be related to the output. they'd be hotter than your average strat so the hum would be a bit louder when not playing.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    P-90's are big fat single coils. Smokey Blusey tone. Brighter than humbuckers. Fatter than strat and tele traditional type single coils.

The who Live at the Isle of Wight should give you a Good Idea. Also, Ed's tone on say "gimme some truth" from the DVD.

There are sample sounds on the gibson website.
    i really should pick up that Who dvd.

so it's safe to say thatt P-90s are a happy medium between traditional single coils and humbuckers?
    exhausted wrote:
    the noise would be related to the output. they'd be hotter than your average strat so the hum would be a bit louder when not playing.
    poop...that's what i figured.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    i dont really care for eds distorted tone nowadays

how do those pups sound lets say with a nice overdrive/distortion on them?generally speaking
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    P90's sound unbelievable! Forget about Ed's tone on the 2003 tour.

I have a Pete Townshend SG with Lollar P90's. It rips. The guitar is actually a bit dark so my pickups don't sound so bright.

When overdriven, nothing can touch that guitar. I also have a Fender Nocaster Relic from 96 and a Gibson 57 Goldtop Historic.

Think more like Townshend on Live at Leeds, Leslie West from Mountain (Mississippi Queen).
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Leslie West...Mississippi Queen...THE P-90 rock tone (next to Live at LEads of course)

You have to watch the 60-cycle hum with P-90's. Here's a little trick that you might or might not care to use. Get the neck PUP reverse wound from the bridge PUP or vice versa. That way, if you are playing live and suffering the usual shitty club electricity (which will make P-90's scream with 60-cucle hum), you switch to both PUP's at the same time (middle position on and SG 3-way switch) and voila...hum cancelling! :)

In the studio, you can do the P-90 dance to reduce hum, and you will still get that great P-90 sound. The middle position becomes your live hum-cancelling fix...and the tone doesn't suck :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    62strat wrote:
    i dont really care for eds distorted tone nowadays

Them's fightin' words!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Them's fightin' words!

It bothers me that Ed plays so much guitar in the band these days. If you have two of the best guitar players in the world holding it down in your band, have enough courtesy and enough control over your ego to let them do their thing. Watching Gossard sit back and play acoustic on the last tour when he's twice the guitarist that Ed is was kind of a let down. I didn't go to PJ to see the Ed Vedder Experience...I went because I wanted to see Mike and Stone tearing it up :)

Having said that, Ed does have great taste in guitars and amps, and his tone is about as clasic as it gets...it's just that Mike and Stone are the guitarists in the band, and they run circles around him. He's the amazing singer...he should stick to that...at least live...but that's just my own f'd up opinion.
    enharmonic wrote:
    It bothers me that Ed plays so much guitar in the band these days. If you have two of the best guitar players in the world holding it down in your band, have enough courtesy and enough control over your ego to let them do their thing. Watching Gossard sit back and play acoustic on the last tour when he's twice the guitarist that Ed is was kind of a let down. I didn't go to PJ to see the Ed Vedder Experience...I went because I wanted to see Mike and Stone tearing it up :)

Having said that, Ed does have great taste in guitars and amps, and his tone is about as clasic as it gets...it's just that Mike and Stone are the guitarists in the band, and they run circles around him. He's the amazing singer...he should stick to that...at least live...but that's just my own f'd up opinion.

I don't disagree with what you say, but... Ed's tone has been the most consistently good the last three tours, at least in my opinion. Hard to argue with the basics... guitar -> cable -> amp.
  • I don't disagree with what you say, but... Ed's tone has been the most consistently good the last three tours, at least in my opinion. Hard to argue with the basics... guitar -> cable -> amp.
    I really wasn't a big fan of Ed's 2003 tour tone. His 2000 tone is what i loved...nice and crunchy. I did however like his tone on the VFC tour, much improved from the 2003 tour IMO.

then again, we both know that it's individual preference. Fuck i can't wait to hear the boys' tone on the Canadian tour! :)

I always know if Ed's having a good-tone day or tour by the sound of two songs: Corduroy and Betterman. And I thought it was great for the '03 tour... it's what led to me getting some Fralin P-90's in one of my Tele's. Amazing pickups...
  • I always know if Ed's having a good-tone day or tour by the sound of two songs: Corduroy and Betterman.
    haha, those two songs are the ones i use to judge too :)

i just like them (ESPECIALLY Corduroy) crispy and crunchy...and the Schecter teles give him that. Hey, you're a tele guy, so i'm sure you don't disagree :D

Hey, you're a tele guy, so i'm sure you don't disagree :D

Damn... caught me there...

But the P-90's!
  • Damn... caught me there...

But the P-90's!
    how much are the fralins? and if i were to get the SG...would the fralins be a big improvement over the stock p-90s?

probably dumb question: is there a such thing as noiseless P-90s?

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

yes. seymour duncan makes them.
    how much are the fralins? and if i were to get the SG...would the fralins be a big improvement over the stock p-90s?

Fralin p-90's are my second favoite P-90's. To me and my ears, nothing can touch Lollar's...except for maybe original 50's Gibson P-90's...but who wants to pay 50's Gibson money? :)

Fralin 90's, you're probably looking at about 90 bucks each.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Fralin p-90's are my second favoite P-90's. To me and my ears, nothing can touch Lollar's...except for maybe original 50's Gibson P-90's...but who wants to pay 50's Gibson money? :)

the Fralin's are pretty quiet then? 90 bucks a piece isn't too bad...and chances are that i'd probably just upgrade the bridge pickup and leave the neck pup stock (or is that not a good idea?)

how much would it cost to have someone install them?

The Fralin's are fairly clean on noise, but they're still single-coil. If you want noiseless, the Seymour Duncan ones or Gibson P-100's are the way to go. Really, the noise will depend on your pedals, amp, pedal power, power source, and environment. I haven't had any troubles with mine.

The stock Gibson's are pretty good, you might be surprised by them. There's no need to upgrade unless you feel they could sound better. However, swapping in a Fralin in the bridge that's 5% or 10% overwound would give you a great tone compared to stock.

Most places will replace a pup for anywhere from $10 to $50, depending. You can do it yourself if you're comfortable with a soldering iron.
  • The Fralin's are fairly clean on noise, but they're still single-coil. If you want noiseless, the Seymour Duncan ones or Gibson P-100's are the way to go. Really, the noise will depend on your pedals, amp, pedal power, power source, and environment. I haven't had any troubles with mine.

The stock Gibson's are pretty good, you might be surprised by them. There's no need to upgrade unless you feel they could sound better. However, swapping in a Fralin in the bridge that's 5% or 10% overwound would give you a great tone compared to stock.

Most places will replace a pup for anywhere from $10 to $50, depending. You can do it yourself if you're comfortable with a soldering iron.
    haha, i've never even touched a soldering iron :). But at least it's not TOO spendy.

Like i've said, i'm not even sure what guitar i'll end up getting (and when i'll end up getting it). Chances are that it's either gonna be a tele or an SG. All this information is definitely helpful and good to know though, so thanks everyone.

• Just got back from the local guitar shop.

i played a couple guitars that i've had my eyes on:
    Fender '72 tele
    Gibson SG Standard

i was hoping they'd have the classic w/p90s but they just have some on order, not in stock. I wasn't much impressed with the tele (sorry MIG;)). Didn't play as smoothly as i expected...although it may have just been that individual guitar so who knows.

The SG however...that's a different story. MMMM, i think i'm in love. Gorgeous sunburst finish, sweet playability. The neck just felt "right" in my hand. Great feeling while playing it too. Perhaps i'm in love?

I still need to play a '52 tele reissue and the SG Classic with P90s before i can make any decisions, but hot damn do i love that SG standard!

I wasn't much impressed with the tele (sorry MIG;)). Didn't play as smoothly as i expected...although it may have just been that individual guitar so who knows.

I'd probably blame it on the maple fretboard. It's the one thing keeping that guitar from perfection.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    enharmonic wrote:

Lollar...

Jason Lollar. :D

http://www.lollarguitars.com/
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I've got one of these. It's a beautiful guitar. Great feel and great tone. I have to admit I'm lukewarm on the bridge pickup (a little too bright, not enough crunch), but the neck pickup has one of the greatest tones around, clean or dirty. When I play it on my Marshall clean channel with the gain up, you get a subtle increase in crunch based on how hard you are picking, so it allows you to play real clean and soft, as well as with a little crunch without having to switch channels or anything.

When playing through distortion you get a great deep tone with a bit of softness to it. It's hard to explain, you just have to hear it.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you