Tube Amp Choices...

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright, so I went to the local guitar shop and started looking around at tube amps. Here is what i found that will eventually be within my price range:

Peavey Delta Blues 210 - $490
Peavey Classic 30 - $425
Fender Blues Junior (used) - $300
Fender Blues Junior - $400
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - $560

Basically right now i'm going to be using it for my own personal use in my room, but i want to get something that will be loud enough to jam with other guitarists and a drummer (if i ever find anyone to play with that is). Right now i'm leaning towards either the Classic 30 or Hot Rod Deluxe, but i'm just not sure. The Classic 30 is a pretty good price and it has tremelo (which is cool), but will 30 watts be enough to be heard over other guitars and drums?

also, i know tube amps need to be cranked to sound good, and for bedroom playing that might not be reasonable. How good do these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38074&item=7305526302&rd=1 work?
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• let me tell you a story about about 30 tube watts...

Way to fucking loud for a bedroom. As in, you cannot imagine how much to loud. Easily loud enough for a band, a band in a fair sized bar or club. Tube amps are loud man. Like really loud. My Hiwatt is a 12/40 watt. I play it on the 12 watt setting and half (12:00) way up on the master, and preamp volume is way to loud for my room and roomates, and neighbours (thin walls).

Just remember 30 tube watts is equal to... like 100 watts solid state ( i think, I am no expert). When you go to the store to try them out make sure to pay attention to the volume knobs.

When I was gonna get a Mesa F50 amp all the guys on the board warned be that it was LOUD. I was told the same thing about the HIWATT. I did not heed their warnings :)

That being siaid I am happy with my Hiwatt and can play it at low to 5/11 volumes. I am gonna get an attenuator eventually so I can crank it, cause right now I am investing in recording equipment and want to be able to get a cranked hiwatt tone.

I was told that when you have the volume knob at half way that is the rated wattage. So when you turn it further its louder than a 30 watt amp.

I like the hotrod, you put overdrive box in front of it and change the speaker ( i have heard) and it sings.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    make sure the amp you purchase has an effects loop if you choose to purchase the volume box.

I had Ted Weber build me MASS attenuator for my orange. It cost me about 40 or 50 bucks and it works fine for me. House53 had one too for a while. There is a slight tonal difference but it ain't major. I use mine all the time. It wires in line between the speaker and the amp, so you'll need to make sure the speakers plug in to a jack in the back rather than strait inside the amp or that won't work either. Regardless while 30 watts is really fucking loud when you need it, I believe all of those are master volume amps so you'll be fine man.

If you're going to go pro the DR Z airbrake or the Ultimate Attenuator or the THD hotplate but those will run you 300+ bones. You won't need to spend that kind of scrilla for your application.

30 watts is not overkill for you it just does get very loud, you will be rewarded with clean headroom. You can easily get the smooth crunch you desire from some sort of OD in the front end, and you'll have more than enough to gig with.

From that group my personal favorite by far is the delta blues 2x10

oh and yes, 30 watts is plenty loud to be heard over bass and drums. any major issue and you can mike that puppy up with no issues.

Look hard at the Delta Blues 2x10 (it has the tremolo not the classic 30)

http://www.webervst.com for the MASS

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Peavey/Delta_Blues-01.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Peavey Delta Blues 210 - $490
    Peavey Classic 30 - $425
    Fender Blues Junior (used) - $300
    Fender Blues Junior - $400
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - $560

As far as sound, I like all of them - especially the Delta Blues in both their 2×10 and 1×15 versions. If you ever plan on gigging, I'd get the Hot Rod Deluxe simply because I know so many people whose tweed Peaveys had reliability problems. Of course, the HRD is way too loud for a bedroom but I think it's more of an investment piece.

Good luck. :cool:
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    All good choices...

Like the other guys said, 30 watts is a lot in tube amps. Probably too loud for the bedroom without attenuation. That eBay link you posted will *help*, but a true speaker attenuator like the Weber Mass/MiniMass units would be much better (albeit a bit more pricey). But it will certainly be loud enough for jamming and gigging. And by the time you get around to playing gigs, you can save up about $150 and do a speaker swap and complete re-tube, and get even BETTER sound.

Just an FYI: The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Peavey Delta Blues 210 and Classic 30 are my three favorite gigging tube amps out there. Reliable, predictable, and easy to repair/replace.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    All good choices...

Just an FYI: The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Peavey Delta Blues 210 and Classic 30 are my three favorite gigging tube amps out there. Reliable, predictable, and easy to repair/replace.

spoken like a true sound man. :) lower stage volumes so the mix sounds better.

"Who cares if you can hear bass, drums and keys? More of ME more of ME in the monitor, more of ME FOH!!!!! I'm gonna need to slave this Marshall in to 23 more. Is 48 speaker cabs enough?" -Y. Malmsteen.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7305999703&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

can anyone give me any reasons why this wouldn't be a good choice? It seems to be a helluva deal, and although i wasn't quite ready spend the cash, it would seem wrong to pass it up i think.
    edit: ***it's already gone***

how does the 1x15 compare to the 2x10 sound wise?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    A 15" speaker for guitar will have a fat, loose bass response and a fairly piercing treble. 10" speakers have punchy, tight bass response and smoother treble.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    30 watts tube when overdriven is the same as 60 watts solid state. I'd recommend the Fender Hot Rod series, I have a Deville with 2x12s and its never given me any problems. I've also played on the classic 30, and it's a nice amp as well, but I do know that it has given my friend problems, and has been in and out of the shop a lot.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me