Phase 90 advice

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
first of all, my set-up:

Peavey Delta Blues - Boss BD-2 (boost) - Boss DD-5 - Phase 90 - Ibanez SD-9 - Shannon Overdrive - Dunlop 535Q - Boss Tu-2 - Guitar

originally, i had my Phase 90 near the end of my chain (after the distortion and overdrive). When it was in this position, the Phase 90 didn't boost my signal or add much distortion at all. However, i wanted the Phase to be more prominent so when i put it in my setup before the Distortion and OD, i noticed that there is a lot more volume and distortion added when the Phase in on.

my question...how can i cut down on this? I really like my phase early in the chain, but the volume/distortion boost makes it hard to play with since it feels at times like your eardrums are being stabbed.

Is this what the r28 mod does?...and if so, what does that entail? I've heard a lot about the mod in terms of improving the pedal, but little about what it actually does.
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    That's pretty much what the R28 mod is all about.

If you REALLY wanted to fix this problem, go out right now and order a Shannon Phaser. You already own the Overdrive, now get the Phaser. It's worth every penny, has all the sound of the Phase 90, and can help you fine-tune the nuances of the effect. Trust me on this... it's what the Phase 90 should've been to begin with.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • "it's what the Phase 90 should've been to begin with."

Heh, Mig you are such a Shannon pimp.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Heh, Mig you are such a Shannon pimp.
    has every right to be. His overdrive is gorgeous.

however, 160 bucks is too much for me spend on a Phaser. While i'm sure it's amazing, it's not necessary for me.

is there a mod that can switch between using the r28 and not using it? I've read a couple articles on how to clip the r28 and i'm pretty sure i could do it (despite never tinkering with electronics before). Just afraid that i eventually might want the option of having it.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • how much is the shannon uniphase? i want a vibe, i love the sound of the lovepedal vibe but it doesnt have a AC plug or LED...the dunlop univibe is too expensive
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    has every right to be. His overdrive is gorgeous.

however, 160 bucks is too much for me spend on a Phaser. While i'm sure it's amazing, it's not necessary for me.

is there a mod that can switch between using the r28 and not using it? I've read a couple articles on how to clip the r28 and i'm pretty sure i could do it (despite never tinkering with electronics before). Just afraid that i eventually might want the option of having it.

Well, the bigger issue is that the Shannon fixes everything that you were complaining about the Phase 90. It has the "script" sound that the R28 mod fixes, and then it adds a volume adjustment that fixes the boost issue.

I would love to get my Phase 90 modded with the R28 on a switch, and I'm sure it CAN be done, the problem is doing it (wiring the resistor to a switch and putting the switch in the casing). But the mod itself is supposedly stupid easy.

I don't know what Eric is looking to get for the UniPhase, I don't think he's even advertising it yet. But it sure as hell is cool... I don't own his Phaser, but I'm one of a few to own his UniPhase... and I may break down in the next few months and buy the damn Phaser and be done with it.
    "it's what the Phase 90 should've been to begin with."

Heh, Mig you are such a Shannon pimp.

I stand behind people and products I believe in. I've worked with his OD, his Phaser, and the upcoming UniPhase, and they're all gorgeous. His Phaser is gaining an incredible reputation, and for good reason. And he's just a good guy. I speak highly of his stuff, but his work deserves it. You don't believe me, go buy some DOD stuff.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Well, the bigger issue is that the Shannon fixes everything that you were complaining about the Phase 90. It has the "script" sound that the R28 mod fixes, and then it adds a volume adjustment that fixes the boost issue.

I would love to get my Phase 90 modded with the R28 on a switch, and I'm sure it CAN be done, the problem is doing it (wiring the resistor to a switch and putting the switch in the casing). But the mod itself is supposedly stupid easy.

I don't know what Eric is looking to get for the UniPhase, I don't think he's even advertising it yet. But it sure as hell is cool... I don't own his Phaser, but I'm one of a few to own his UniPhase... and I may break down in the next few months and buy the damn Phaser and be done with it.

I want to get one of the Uniphasers, too! Hell MIG, you're a great pimp for Eric! :cool:
    I've got one of his first overdrives and it's the best one I've ever had. I was one of his first pimps, but I guess I fell down on the job,,,,, I'm glad you took over! I might have to get both, to have a complete collection!
    Mig,,, you and I are both on google, talking about the Shannons!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I've got one of his first overdrives and it's the best one I've ever had. I was one of his first pimps, but I guess I fell down on the job,,,,, I'm glad you took over! I might have to get both, to have a complete collection!
    Mig,,, you and I are both on google, talking about the Shannons!

I just hope the soundclips I did for him help him sell some units. I've regretted sending back the Phaser since it left... I don't use a lot of phase, and the Phase 90 is satisfactory, but still...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I just hope the soundclips I did for him help him sell some units. I've regretted sending back the Phaser since it left... I don't use a lot of phase, and the Phase 90 is satisfactory, but still...

I've owned a Boss Phaser before and decided it just wasn't right. The overdriven phase clips of the new shannon phaser sound phenominal.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    yea i did the r28 mod with a box cutter.. its just that easy and made my phaser sound killer.
  • sounds like i might give this a try. It just makes me nervous since i've never done ANYTHING like this before though...i'm so afraid i'll fuck it up, despite having a picture diagram and a detailed description on how to do it.

• JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    how much is the shannon uniphase? i want a vibe, i love the sound of the lovepedal vibe but it doesnt have a AC plug or LED...the dunlop univibe is too expensive

You could just get a ZVEX battery plate, they work well with any MXR size box. It wont solve the LED problem.

Bob Sweet announced last week he has a small box vibe coming out for $150, it will hit any day now and it will be a little different from his existing Mojo which is the best vibe out there.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board