Phase 90 r28 Mod a success!

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I finally grew some balls and decided to crack up my MXR Phase 90 to perform the r28 mod. This was the first time i'd ever opened up and fiddled with a pedal (actually any electronic device for that matter), and it was a piece of cake...very easy.

I won't lie, i was nervous about doing this mod myself...and i was definitely nervous after it was done that it wouldn't work. Turns out there was nothing to worry about, it turned out perfectly!

Just unscrewed the nuts, removed the washers and unscrewed the back. Lifted the board out and with one snip the "mod" was done. The hardest part for me was actually putting the pedal back together and lining everything up correctly :)

Plugged it in and WOW. This baby sounds so smooth and has a great swoosh to it. Best part of all...NO VOLUME/DISTORTION BOOST. Yes, finally!

For those of you that have a Phase 90, perform this mod NOW. And do it yourself, don't pay someone else to do it (like i was going to do)...It's very simple and the sound improvement in enormous. Trust me, if i can do it so can you.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ehansen3/diy/phase90.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~ehansen3/diy/phase90scriptmod.jpg
http://www.thejunosound.com/phase_90_r28_mod.htm
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So this change you did was to take out the volume/dist. boost?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • So this change you did was to take out the volume/dist. boost?
    exactly. Gives it the vintage "script logo" sound.

on the "block logo" Phase 90, there is a volume boost and the sound can be very harsh to the ears...especially when placed early in the pedal chain. This mod took care of that and now it is a perfect phaser.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    exactly. Gives it the vintage "script logo" sound.

on the "block logo" Phase 90, there is a volume boost and the sound can be very harsh to the ears...especially when placed early in the pedal chain. This mod took care of that and now it is a perfect phaser.

i like my phase after my delay...but early is nice, too...this sounds like a great mod, i've only messed with trim pots

3ms sells diy effects kits
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • El_Kabong wrote:
    i like my phase after my delay...but early is nice, too...this sounds like a great mod, i've only messed with trim pots

3ms sells diy effects kits
    ah yes.. i'll be getting an mxr phase 90 very soon...

heres my set up:

epi les paul - cry baby - boss compress/sustain - boss dd6 delay - fender amp.

where would you suggest sticking that phase?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • ah yes.. i'll be getting an mxr phase 90 very soon...

heres my set up:

i'd put it in between the delay and compressor...but fiddle around to see where you like it the most.

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    ah yes.. i'll be getting an mxr phase 90 very soon...

heres my set up:

it all depends on how you want to use it...but yeah, between the compressor and delay is good...i like hovering over my effects and messing with them so after the delay works better for me, makes it easier to color
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way