Replacement Pickup help

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
For awhile now I've been cotemplating upgrading the pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I love the guitar, the way it feels and plays...but the stock pickups aren't the greatest (obviously).

to help you guys out, here's some background info:
setup = guitar - Boss BD-2 (boost) - Boss DD-5 - MXR Phase 90 - Ibanez SD-9 - Shannon Overdrive - Boss Tu-2 - Peavey Delta Blues

I play everything from classic rock to indie rock, so i don't want pickups that will only give me a certain/specific type of sound.

My next guitar purchase (hopefully sooner than later) will probably be a Gibson SG Standard...i mention this because i don't want to upgrade my Les Paul into making it sound like my SG will.

anywho...

My knowledge in the area of pickups is limited, but mainly what i have in mind is putting a 57 classic in the neck and probably putting a 57 classic plus in the bridge position. That should give me the classic Les Paul sound i figure...but then again my figuring might not be all that good :). I am definitely open to suggestions though! Also, letting me know how certain pickups will sound compared to my stock pickups would be a gigantic help.

Thanks!
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I just put a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck in the bridge of my Squier M-77. Sounds awesome now.
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I got a Classic 57 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge, sounds great. I truly think the Classic '57 cannot be beat for a warm, full, rich neck pickup. The Classic Plus would be a good option for the bridge, as would a Burstbucker. But I can definitely vouch for the '59 in the bridge... gorgeous...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I got a Classic 57 in the neck and a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge, sounds great. I truly think the Classic '57 cannot be beat for a warm, full, rich neck pickup. The Classic Plus would be a good option for the bridge, as would a Burstbucker. But I can definitely vouch for the '59 in the bridge... gorgeous...
    I've considered the Burstbucker too...but i've read that the clean tone isn't the greatest (any truth to this?)

and you have the 57 classic/59 seymour in your gold tele right? What's the Seymour Duncan like, and how much does it run?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    I've considered the Burstbucker too...but i've read that the clean tone isn't the greatest (any truth to this?)

and you have the 57 classic/59 seymour in your gold tele right? What's the Seymour Duncan like, and how much does it run?

I've never played Burstbuckers, but they're supposed to be just an updated Classic 57/PAF.

Yep, in the GT Tele. Gorgeous fucking guitar. The key there is the combined sound of the two pickups: Full and rich, but clear.

The S/D is great, pretty edgy without being thin. Plenty of bite in the Tele (but that's a string-thru body, too). It really shines with overdrive thru a tube amp, and the open coils give it that great edge in the tone. It'll knock you back about $60 (much better than a $110 Classic 57).
  • I've never played Burstbuckers, but they're supposed to be just an updated Classic 57/PAF.

Yep, in the GT Tele. Gorgeous fucking guitar. The key there is the combined sound of the two pickups: Full and rich, but clear.

The S/D is great, pretty edgy without being thin. Plenty of bite in the Tele (but that's a string-thru body, too). It really shines with overdrive thru a tube amp, and the open coils give it that great edge in the tone. It'll knock you back about $60 (much better than a $110 Classic 57).
    $60 is indeed a lot better than $110...something for me too keep in mind, thanks MIG.

I too have been eyeing up that tele. I notice in the latest MF that they dropped the price to 399.99 and including a free Fender tweed case. It's tough to pass up! Although, the SG will probably be my next purchase; and i'm skeptical about ordering a guitar without playing it first!

$60 is indeed a lot better than $110...something for me too keep in mind, thanks MIG.

I too have been eyeing up that tele. I notice in the latest MF that they dropped the price to 399.99 and including a free Fender tweed case. It's tough to pass up! Although, the SG will probably be my next purchase; and i'm skeptical about ordering a guitar without playing it first!

My Tele is very comparable now to a hot-rodded Les Paul Special, which ain't far from an SG. It's not quite as SG-ish as my P-90 Tele Deluxe, but close. I can't frickin' believe they dropped the price and threw in the hardshell, that really pisses me off. I had ordered it when they were giving away a free tuner pedal, which I could've actually used (my Korg is finally giving out) but they messed up my credit card stuff and I had to cancel and re-order, and missed the promo. And I still need to get a case for mine now. I have a good gig bag to carry it now, but I do need a good case. I don't blame you for not wanting to buy a guitar sight-unseen and without being able to sit with it in your hands first, but I really wanted a Les Paul/Tele hybrid, and this guitar is it. Not to mention I'm weak in the knees for goldtops.

I wish there was a Seymour Duncan copy of the Classic '57, since the Gibson pups are unreasonably priced, but there really isn't a pickup that matches it. There are others that take the concept and tweak it, and the S/D Seth Lover is supposedly pretty close, but if you want a Classic '57, get the real deal. But I do love the '59 as well, it's a great match to the '57.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Burstbuckers are 59's. They are in the "holy grail" time period when the famous people really caught on to the LP with the jumbo frets easy fret bends and pickups that might have had a few extra turns.

I say check out http://www.projectguitar.com go to references and pickups.

I really dig the voodoo 59's. J of Z has them in his Murphy I think.

Harmonic Design has a huge wait time right now. Lollar, Fralin, both good options too.

The Seymour Duncan 59's and Antiquities are great. A seth lover or 57 classic in the neck and a 59 at the bridge is a great combo, or you could go with 2 59's either way you can't miss those are pretty versatile. The Pearly Gates plus is also a decent pickup for you

You need to find out, how much treble you desire, how fat and how hot you want them and how tight you need the bass response. Every guitar is different. You might also miss with a pickup that might not work the best for you.

Mig, Seth Lover designed the originals when he worked for gibson. I'm not sure of the exact differences. I've always liked the 57 classic in the neck and the hot 59 in the bridge.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.