Today may be the day!

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
yesterday i wrote that i was thinking about getting an SG Standard "sooner rather than later"...well, it's definitely sooner!

Got a call from Guitar Center (yes yes, i know)...they have a used Gibson SG Standard for $899 and i can get it with no money down and 12 months same as cash. Comes with the case. The guy said the guitar is in great shape with only a few belt buckle scratches on the back. There is a little fret wear on the first few frets, but supposedly still shouldn't need any work for at least a few years.

Hopefully this guitar is as good as how the guy makes it sound! And considering this is 300 bucks less than what i was originally going to pay, this is perfect! Therefore I'll definitely be pricing pickups for my Les Paul too.

shitty thing is i can't leave until i get off work...damn, 5 hours of work is going to seem like 15!
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Good for you... you lucky bastard.

I wish I could find something like that, with the option of paying for it over several months without getting ripped off.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    palying an SG is an amazing experience. they're so different.
  • I don't wanna be a downer, but that seems expensive for a used SG. I mean if you're paying for it 12 months the monthly increase would be insignificant over 12 months. It just seems to me it is very expensive for a used and not MINT condition SG. I would inspect it very closely or try to haggle down to 800.

Hmm well I just checked out Ebay and I guess it seems most used go for 850, so I seem to be wrong. And this way you get to see and play it first.

What year is it anyway?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I don't wanna be a downer, but that seems expensive for a used SG. I mean if you're paying for it 12 months the monthly increase would be insignificant over 12 months. It just seems to me it is very expensive for a used and not MINT condition SG. I would inspect it very closely or try to haggle down to 800.

Hmm well I just checked out Ebay and I guess it seems most used go for 850, so I seem to be wrong. And this way you get to see and play it first.

What year is it anyway?

nah, that's a decent price for a 1200 dollar guitar, the guy at the store has to eat too.

you're thinking of an SG special.

it's a cool guitar. I might get the strat on Saturday if they have one.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I might get the strat on Saturday if they have one.

finally decided on the deluxe alder?
    exhausted wrote:
    finally decided on the deluxe alder?

first opinion is usually the best one I think. Yeah, deluxe, alder, unless the ash just won't let me put it down.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    first opinion is usually the best one I think. Yeah, deluxe, alder, unless the ash just won't let me put it down.

Gonna stick with the SCN's, or get the Fralin/HD combo?

If you get cobalt pups and don't want to keep them, I'll buy 'em off ya.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Gonna stick with the SCN's, or get the Fralin/HD combo?

If you get cobalt pups and don't want to keep them, I'll buy 'em off ya.

I'm going to initially stick with them. If I decide not to, I will get a replacement guard, a shielding plate from callaham and go with the Fralin Blues and the HD 90. Then I can just send you the whole thing wired up, unless I decide to build another strat from maybe Carvin and drop that guard in.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Then I can just send you the whole thing wired up, unless I decide to build another strat from maybe Carvin and drop that guard in.

No! Sell them to me! I want a set of cobalts...
    No! Sell them to me! I want a set of cobalts...

ha ha, it only takes oh 3 months to get pups out of HD at the moment.

:D

To bad bill lawerence isn't selling the cobalts at his site.

oh and there are several bad ass kinman sets going around TGP for 160.

I prefer the aged 59's and the blues to the un aged woodstocks
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    mmmm SG. Good choice!
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ha ha, it only takes oh 3 months to get pups out of HD at the moment.

Tell me about it... I waited, and waited, and waited... had my Fralins a full month before the H/D arrived. But it was frickin' worth it... I love that guitar, you have no idea. And I have a feeling yours would be even better (with Fralin Blues instead of Hot).

Keep me in mind... get the guitar you want, and enjoy... but if you sell those pups without PM'ing me... I'll fly to Atlanta and get stranded at the airport and hunt you down and beat you senseless with a Kramer.
    Tell me about it... I waited, and waited, and waited... had my Fralins a full month before the H/D arrived. But it was frickin' worth it... I love that guitar, you have no idea. And I have a feeling yours would be even better (with Fralin Blues instead of Hot).

Keep me in mind... get the guitar you want, and enjoy... but if you sell those pups without PM'ing me... I'll fly to Atlanta and get stranded at the airport and hunt you down and beat you senseless with a Kramer.

I prefer to be beaten with BC Riches, preferably the plexiglass kind, because frankly they are worthless, and no sane person should own one.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    I prefer to be beaten with BC Riches, preferably the plexiglass kind, because frankly they are worthless, and no sane person should own one.

Haha...my crackhead(literally) uncle has a shitty BC Rich. I saw it and laughed and laughed.
    http://www.kinman.com/html/myProducts/strats.htm

check out the description for the blues. damn near perfect.

http://www.kinman.com/images/inside/mediaCentre/sounds/AVn-BluesBluseyEdge-May04.mp3

a bit to much verb from the room and kind of crispy, but fat round, nice crunch. That's the strat tone I look for.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

Yes, but you could seriously injure someone with a Kramer, those things is solid.
    Yes, but you could seriously injure someone with a Kramer, those things is solid.

ah, so that's why American DJ equipment is so often used in stunts because they ain't solid.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    I prefer to beat people with a telecaster... they are merciless.

Like in Flash Gordon... Ming the Merciless.

Queen was great with Freddie Mercury.
    There's No Code.
  • I got it!

wow, what a great guitar. Compared to my standard strat (mexican) and Epi LP custom...well, there is no comparison. The guitar is in really great shape...the fret wear is MINIMAL at the most. Another cool thing is that it came with grover tuners which are very nice. it's a very dark cherry, which is exactly what i wanted (i've seen some that are very red, not a fan).

The worst part about yesterday was that i didn't get to plug it in! I took off on the 90 minute drive to Guitar Center shortly after i got off work at one job, but by the time i got back it was time to go to my other overnight job :(. Sure, i played it, but it was killing me that i couldn't plug it in!

so this morning i had 2 hours to kill in between jobs, and you know how i spent the time :) WOW...sounds amazing through my setup...really, i'm blown away. I didn't think the difference would be this astounding...i realized that i've been focusing so much on pedals and amps for sound, that i sorta overlooked how much a nice guitar can improve it! (that sounds so silly, but it's true).

the neck pickup is nice and the bridge pickup has some bite to it; but combined...DAMN! It's beautiful. I am very impressed with how it plays, how it sounds, how it looks...it's exactly what i needed/wanted. The neck is FAST...i'm still not used to it...almost like it's too easy to play :D

So yeah, i'm very happy with it. I'm not sure on the year (since i don't know the serial number code)...the guy on the phone said a 95, the guy who got the guitar for me said a 96. Either way, i really like it and actually think the used SG felt better than the new one.

Sure, i could have gotten it for a little cheaper on ebay...but i am hesitant on buying a guitar that i haven't played...especially when we're talking big money (to me at least ;)) IMO, 900 bucks is a great value.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV