Too Loud?

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have the chance to buy a Marshall 1987 Plexi reissue for a low price of $750. The head new costs over $1600 so it's a solid deal.

It's a 50w head so that worries me a little bit as far as volume is concerned. Right now I have a 30w Delta Blues through an Avatar 2x12 cab. I don't play in a band or play live at the moment so on my Delta Blues the volume rarely goes past 3.

I'd really love to benefit from this sweet deal but I don't want to end up with a head that I can't use in the bedroom without getting evicted. I also know that the tubes need to be pushed in order to sound really good, so I don't want to have to sound like shit from playing at a low volume when I'm playing in my room either.

If anyone has any experience with this head or another head of 50w any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhausted wrote:
    so then i would buy the 50 watt attentuator and run speaker cables like this:

head ----> attentuator ----> speaker cab

correct? I wouldn't have to disconnect the speakers or anything?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Correct. The Weber MiniMass, Marshall PowerBrake (good enough for Eddie ... and me, for that matter) or the THD Whatever-it's-called will all do just fine.
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Correct. The Weber MiniMass, Marshall PowerBrake (good enough for Eddie ... and me, for that matter) or the THD Whatever-it's-called will all do just fine.
    thanks. i wasn't aware Ed used an attentuator?

• Yes, thankfully for all of us who've had good seats in the past. Getting that thick saturated crunch out of a 100w Hiwatt without an attenuator would usually send the first fifteen rows deaf.
  • i have a fender 212 deville and its 60 watts...would the 50 watt one work or not
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    That amp will be quite loud without an attenuator. Wattage is not a function of loudness though, as many will attest. A 30 watt Vox AC-30 will blow your head clean off, and is often times louder than many a 100-watt half stack.

attenuator is the way to go if you want that amp at bedroom levels.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    ill split it with you preston.