THD Univalve

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thoughts on these? I've never played one but they look perfect for what I'm after. I love that it's easy to swap different tubes without rebiasing, which would help me experiment with different tube sounds (without having to own a dozen different amps :)). The built-in attentuator is a really cool feature for my living situations, although it appears that some aren't a big fan of it (hard to say if it really kills tone that much, or if people over at TGP are just huge tone snobs :))

A used Univalve is what's affordable for me, but at 15 watts the potential lack of headroom is of concern to me (Which is where the bivalve would come in handy, but more $$$). I don't need loud clean tones at the moment since I'm not currently playing with a band, however I'd like an amp that could pull off loud clean tones if needed. I know tube swaps can increase headroom a bit. I also read somewhere that plugging the Univalve through a Crate Powerblock will increase headroom a ton...any truth to that?

After first reading about the amp I thought it was a no brainer for me, but then looking over at The Gear Page it seems that people either really love them or really hate them...over there though it is difficult to determine who just dislikes them for the sole reason that they're not as boutique as their $2000 Germino.

Lastly, does it take pedals well? Anything else I need to know?
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Great amp. self biasing if memory serves. Very flexible because you can use most any octal based power tube (EL34, 6L6, KT66, KT88, 5881)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yes, I second this. Excellent amp. Great company too. It's a good amp to learn with too because it's simple and you can try so many different power tubes.

It's easy to get to everything with the open top and it helps keep things cool.

My gig is that it like most attenuators dosen't do the amp justice at low bedroom levels. It's not bad by any means it just sounds better to me at full volume. I haven't had a chance to play around with Power Scaling but maybe Enharmonic will share his feelings on it since he has a stage hog and perhaps JofZ will see this post and talk about it in his Mad Professor.

http://www.univalve.net/forums_new/ this should help.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah I figured the attentuator would take away some life from it as opposed to it being cranked, but as long as I can manage the volume but still have it sound good then I'm fine and can make that sacrafice. Currently I need to keep my Delta Blues on volume 2, so not being able to open up my amp is nothing new (damn neighbors) :)

Powerscaling looks like a great feature. I read a little about it when I was looking at the Reeves amps. Very cool, but it seems that all amps with power scaling are out of my price range...ie Mad Professor :D.

Does it make sense to slave the Uni into something like a Powerblock? Will it affect tone? Will it increase the volume and if so how much? I know the idea of slaving an expensive tube amp into a cheap SS amp is a bit bizarre, but if it works and doesn't suck tone -- why not?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    putting the line out into the power block and then into speakers?

i suppose it'll work.