Octave Recommendations

dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been thinking about getting an octave pedal as of late. I mainly had the Boss OC-2 in mind since it's pretty simple and cheap on ebay. However, it only goes one and two octaves down and i think it'd be neat to have an octave pedal that goes up as well for more flexibility and pretty out-there sounds.

I know very little about octave pedals and also don't want to drop big money on an octave pedal since it's not a big go-to pedal for me...more or less just want it for shits and giggles.

of course i need one to have good tracking (duh), and i'll want it more for picking rather than strumming chords.

what ya got for me? :)
"I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's expensive though. but does the up and down.

http://foxroxelectronics.com/octron1.html

another option is the digitech whammy though you can't control the mix much and that's a draw back. it has latency issues too. the boss PS-5 is a better pedal.

i like the OC-2 but it's single note only. the OC-3's got polyphonic capabilities and it's tracking is better as a result. nice blue box like distortion option as well.

octave up sounds really bad to me so i haven't looked around much but there are tons of octavia clones around too. octaving fuzzes.
  • Thanks Ex, i looked at the Ps-5 as well. Looks like it can do all sorts of stuff. What about the Ps-2 and Ps-3...those are pretty much the same thing right?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    just older iterations of the same thing. some features are the same. some are different. some swear one sounds better than the rest blah blah blah.

the OC-2, PS-2 and PS-3 are out of production though so it's ebay or the highway.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The whammy tracks like crap, it's more suited to sweeping legato runs and funky sounds than really the standard octave application. Everytime I want to get one, I play one and am not able to purchase it. Octron is phenominal but maybe too much to spend for your application.

I'll go with Ex.

maybe play with the EH octave multiplexer too just for S and giggles before you make a decision.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    the whammy needs to be post gain to overcome the harshness and the latency. for instance, it'll track violin sustain beautifully.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    exhausted wrote:
    the whammy needs to be post gain to overcome the harshness and the latency. for instance, it'll track violin sustain beautifully.

precisely.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    if you want a real dirt cheap octave pedal then i would actually recommend the danelectro one (cant remember the name but its pinky-purple) i got mine brand new off ebay for about £20uk. the tracking is pretty good. it does two octaves but unfortunately none up. Yeah its danelectro so its gonna be pretty crap but for the price its good for a laugh :)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?