Options

Simple question for you bandmembers

whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well I just started a band with a couple of guys I was introduced to by a friend. I just moved to a new city, so this is really something I needed so I can keep work off my mind.
Here is the problem. We have 2 singers, they both have their own songs which they have written in the past. One kid writes very good 'crows/pete yorn' type stuff, and the other kid is determined to write cheesy pop, 'mraz/train' stuff, and he is also trying to be the dictator of the band, to lead us in a pop direction. He won't even give my stuff a listen to. Now I don't want to beat him up (too old for that garbage), and I really want to play out and immerse myself in music, it is a lifelong dream to be a working musician. Being these two kids are friends and the good songwriter is very cool and passive and goes along with the pop dude, I will be alone and possibly kicked out if I speak out, and refuse to play the pop garbage.

What is the best thing for me to do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DRINK BEER
  • Options
    House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Tell them how you feel. Be honest. You don't want to play the pop stuff, so if that is what the band is going to play, then why would you want to stay in the band? There are other people around to play music with... always are...

If they agree to take things in another direction, then you will have a better situation for yourself. If they kick you out of the band for voicing your opinion, again do you really want to be in a band that has that attitude.

I can understand really wanting to go along for the sake of playing music, any music. I have been in bands for that reason, but things never work out well.

I say be honest with them.

Another option would be to start a separate band with the guy whose music you like... people have multiple bands all the time.

Hope things work out.
    There's No Code.
  • Options
    EderEder Posts: 12
    listen to your heart...that's too lame isn't it?
    WE ARE AN ELITE RACE OF OUR OWN: THE STONERS,JUNKIES AND FREAKS.
  • Options
    Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    Tell them... if they dont want to play your stuff... start your own band... but keep playing with them too... the more people you play with and the more you play the better your gunna get
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music