Which one of these for new guitar player?

EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi folks,
I'm looking into getting a low-budget electric guitar. I'm pretty sure I want either a Squier Strat or an Epiphone LP. Bare in mind, I'm left handed as well. Also, does Squier make left handed Tele's?
Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• best advice I can give you is play them both and see which you like more. I personally do not like the squire strats, but the epiphone LP I have is really nice.
    Show me potato salald!!!
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Thanks.
    Does Squier make left handed Tele's?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    EBowie wrote:
    Thanks.
    Does Squier make left handed Tele's?
    I THINK so, but I'm not sure. If you have the money for an epi, why not save a few more bones and get a Mexican Fender.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • My roomate just bought an MIM Tele and he loves it. He doesn't even play any of my other guitars anymore now that he has that one.
    Show me potato salald!!!
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Thanks again.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    buy a used MIM tele. they go for around the price of a squier, and teles are so much cooler and more versital(sp) than strats. YES teles are more versital(sp).
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Yeah, buy something used if you are on a budget.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Yes, Fender makes lefty squier tele's. I've seen them. The squier is more versatile and lighter. The LP is good but not that good on sound...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Also if you're just starting, don't be afraid to try playing guitar righty (the normal way). I'm a lefty by birth but I play guitar like a righty. The transition really wasn't that hard. Mostly because all the lessons and videos I've seen are done that way so it's easier to follow.

Either way, for a first time beginner I'd say lessons are a key, no matter which way you decide to play.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Also if you're just starting, don't be afraid to try playing guitar righty (the normal way). I'm a lefty by birth but I play guitar like a righty. The transition really wasn't that hard. Mostly because all the lessons and videos I've seen are done that way so it's easier to follow.

Either way, for a first time beginner I'd say lessons are a key, no matter which way you decide to play.

i completly agree. im a left handed guitarist/bassist, and its horrible trying to find the guitar you want when your only limited to the handful that are avaliable left handed. especially when you start to look for higher end guitars.

seriously learn right handed! if i could go back i would have...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    EBowie wrote:
    Hi folks,
    I'm looking into getting a low-budget electric guitar. I'm pretty sure I want either a Squier Strat or an Epiphone LP. Bare in mind, I'm left handed as well. Also, does Squier make left handed Tele's?
    Thanks.
    I got an epiphone 56 gold top for £249,with p90 pickups and it gives of the most amazing sound, id really consider getting one.
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs Posts: 2,412
    do yourself a favor, dont get a squire. once you improve your skill your gonna wish that you had gotten a real strat. Go large and buy a nice guitar youll thank god later in life...,.sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
    do yourself a favor, dont get a squire. once you improve your skill your gonna wish that you had gotten a real strat. Go large and buy a nice guitar youll thank god later in life...,.sbb
    +a million.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403

I agree. My first guitar was a sweetie, I loved every second of playing it, and 27 yrs later I still treasure it.

Buy cheap shit, get cheap shit !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I disagree. I have a strat Squier and it's amazing. When you improve your skill, you can improve the guitar-by fixing it up. This will also teach you inntonation, stringing, and even electronics. I've fixed mine up and I'd take it over any high end strat(even Mike's) any day. It is also good to get a low end one now because you might decide to get more into Tele's, LP's, or SG's...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    OK, if we are gonna go on from that, my advice is don't buy a strat at all. There are aboot a zillion other better value entry level gits,a nd I hate sinbglge coils. Those cheap Squier pups will sound very thin.
    OK, if we are gonna go on from that, my advice is don't buy a strat at all. There are aboot a zillion other better value entry level gits,a nd I hate sinbglge coils. Those cheap Squier pups will sound very thin.
    DO we need another Strat vs. LP arguement? haha, both kick ass.
    DO we need another Strat vs. LP arguement? haha, both kick ass.

Nah, it's more aboot the "there are other brands than gibson and fender" thing !
    Nah, it's more aboot the "there are other brands than gibson and fender" thing !
    Ahh ok..

Ya, at around the $500 price point, I reccomend Godin.
    Ahh ok..

Ya, at around the $500 price point, I reccomend Godin.

See, Godin, ESP, Michael Kelly, Peavey do good stuff, YAmaha, Ibanez, Samick, OLP, Greg Bennett, Art and Lutherie etc, dozens of budget alternatives.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    EBowie wrote:
    Hi folks,
    Thanks.

I started with an Epi LP but I also knew going in what I wanted in terms of sound that I'd eventually be able to achieve. I'm a LP guy. You have to decide whether you want the strat sound or the LP sound.

I love my EPI..
  • EvilTBEvilTB Posts: 10
    Personally, I would recommend a right-handed strat-style double-cutaway guitar with a humbucker at the bridge, like a Yamaha Pacifica 112, or maybe a Squier Fat-Strat. This is personally my favorite common pickup configuration for tonal versatility.

On a double-cutaway if you have difficulty learning you can always string it upside-down and play it as a lefty without loosing to much access to the upper frets. (ala Jimi Hendrix) Left-handed players are a very small minority as the majority of left handed people learn to play right-handed. Therefore left handed players have to suffer both higher prices and more limited options as they upgrade to higher end instruments. Sometimes their only option to get the guitar they want is through a custom shop!

I don't think Epiphone has too many double cutaway options.

Guitars from brands like Yamaha, Cort and Greg Bennett (Samick) will be made from superior wood and often have superior hardware at the same price point as a guitar made by Epiphone and Squire. A pickup swap can convert them to intermediate level instruments. The Yamaha Pacifica I purchased ten years ago had wood comparable to a Mexican Standard Strat for a few hundred dollars less and build quality comparable to an American strat. The Chinese Squire beside and only slightly cheaper was one of the most poorly built guitars I had ever played. Samick offered a similar quality guitar for $200.00 less at the time. (In Canada, back when the Canadian dollar was not worth almost as much as the American dollar)

In defense of Fender and Gibson however current Squiers and Epiphones made in China and Indonesia are supposedly much better now then they were ten years ago. Bulid quality improved immensely, I heard the bulid quality is comparable to that of Fender's Mexican instruments from ten years ago. Squires are often made from woods without any reputation like Indian Red Cedro, Agathis or the mysterious "hardwood". Epiphones seem to be made from a mysterious combination of mahogany/alder and maple/alder for the tops of their lower end Les Pauls. Maybe it is Mahogany or Alder? It is confusing as to what you are actually getting. Squires and Epiphones do have better resale value then brands like Cort/Yamaha/Samick too, despite the fact they are sometimes made with virtually identical specs in the same factory!
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    My first guitar (and I am still a beginner) was an Epi LP Custom and I love it. However, I have had some quality issues...the output jack broke after a couple of months and I've read that Epi LP's are notorious for that. Not a big deal though. Easy enough to fix. Love how it plays, sounds and looks!
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)