hu

sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
Not sure were to ask this but, what does LP, and EP stand for?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    long play
    extended play

i think.....
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i submit into evidence.

http://www.goodrockintonight.com/lingo.chtml?universeid=397&letter=E
    One of the four major record formats, the EP was a compromise between the 45 rpm single and the LP, or “long play” album. The EP or extended play issue was a 7” disc that had a large center hole like the 45, but also had a cardboard cover, cover art work, and multiple tracks (generally four) that were often from a related LP. EPs were an attempt to create a product priced between the low (under a dollar) price of a 45 and the relatively high (over two dollars) price of an LP. They were marketed heavily, but not too successfully, between about 1950 until the mid-1960's. Today, EPs are not as widely collected as LPs, 45s, or 78s, but nevertheless there are many collectors who buy EPs exclusively.

http://www.goodrockintonight.com/lingo.chtml?universeid=397&letter=L
    Short for “Long Play.” One of the four major record formats, an LP is literally a “long play” record, which usually has six songs on each side and plays at 33 1/3 rpm. Almost always comes with a cardboard cover. Developed by Peter Goldmark, the vinyl, mircrogroove long play record (or LP) was introduced to the mass market by Columbia in June, 1948. An improved turntable with a lightweight tone arm and sapphire needle accompanied the release, making these the first practical long playing records. Efforts to produce a record that played for longer than four or five minutes were not new, as both Edison and Victor made the attempt years before Columbia. Edison used an extremely fine groove and tiny diamond stylus to extract more than 22 minutes per side out of the thick, 78 rpm long-playing discs in 1927. Victor slowed the speed down to 33 1/3 rpm and used a fine groove on their Program Transcriptions of 1932-33, but the economic depression and the heavy tonearms combined to ensure their failure. LPs are now a huge part of the record collector market.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by sevensins
    i stand some what corrected

How arrogantly unappreciative you sound.

A person goes out of their to not only give you the correct answer, but goes back and gets sites for you to help you understand and all you can say is you stand somewhat corrected.

He could have made you feel as stupid as the question was.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Good job exahusted that was interesting

EP- think single or small 3 to 4 track record.

LP- Albums, higher priced more tracks "longer playing"
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by puremagic

A person goes out of their to not only give you the correct answer, but goes back and gets sites for you to help you understand and all you can say is you stand somewhat corrected.

i ment that i didnt tecnetly dissagree with him, so i was some what corrected.And i am grateful that he ansered my quetion. Now you stand some what corrected
    Originally posted by sevensins
    i ment that i didnt tecnetly dissagree with him, so i was some what corrected.And i am grateful that he ansered my quetion. Now you stand some what corrected

Sure, okay!
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Originally posted by puremagic

and how dare you embarass me in front of my dogma
  • robrob Posts: 142
    Well, I'm sorry to say,
    I own a bunch of both and I bought them new. Boo hoo
    God, exhausted, where'd you find that info!

The only thing I could add is that all mine skip like hell, and look like black dried up tortillas!!

Not exactly collectors items, I guess
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!

Originally posted by BhagavadGita
    and how dare you embarass me in front of my dogma

Problem? Whatever, you and your dogma!!!
  • BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Originally posted by puremagic
    Problem? Whatever, you and your dogma!!!

i know you are

but what am I?