need a good affordable condencer mic

sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i'm looking for a good condencer mic to record with, any segestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sevensins wrote:
    i'm looking for a good condencer mic to record with, any segestions?

price range first.

second, wait for Mig.

I love the RODE NT1 but it might be pricey for you. MXL and Berenger have some good decent cheaper models.

The Audio Technica 2020 is solid and it's on sale now for 99 bucks at MF.

If you're are looking used, a company out of Russia called Oktava had some killer ones a few years back that were very inexpensive.

Also Blue has a new Ball model that sells for $199
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I agree with Paco on this one...

The Rode NT1-A is a great mic at an unbelievable price, $199:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/88744

Below that, I'd look at MXL, such as this one for $99.99:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/273158/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
    thanks for the help....i'm thinking i might get the MXL but i dont really understand the stats on it...i want to get a studio quality sound, and i'm running this through protools. Is the MLX gunna dissapoint? can someone explain the specs to me?
    sevensins wrote:
    thanks for the help....i'm thinking i might get the MXL but i dont really understand the stats on it...i want to get a studio quality sound, and i'm running this through protools. Is the MLX gunna dissapoint? can someone explain the specs to me?

What, exactly, do you not understand? It's a large-diaphram condenser, 1" diaphram, with a fairly full-range frequency spectrum and a cardiod pattern (meaning it's directional). It's a studio mic, ideal for vocals but also good for drum overheads, guitar amps, acoustic instruments, etc. And the price is right.

What ProTools interface are you using? And what preamps?
    Capsule: Externally polarised 19mm (3/4") condenser
    Active Electronics: JFET impedance converter with bipolar output buffer
    Pickup Pattern: Hypercardioid (see graph)
    Frequency response: 20 Hz-20 kHz
    Output Impedance: 200 Sensitivity: -39dB re 1volt/pascal (12mV @ 94dB SPL) +/-2dB
    Equivalent Noise: <17 dBA (ÒAÓ-weighted per `IEC268-15)
    Maximum Output: +9.5dBu (@ 1% THD into 1K)
    Dynamic Range: > 123dB (per IEC268-15)
    Maximum SPL: > 140dB SPL (@ 1% THD into 1K) Signal/Noise Ratio: > 77dB (per IEC268-15)
    Power Requirements: P48, P24, P12 phantom 9V battery Packed Weight 680g (Mic only no battery 371g)

stuff like "equivalent noise <17 dba (ÒAÓ-weighted per `IEC268-15)"...like is that good or bad? i'm not sure about that kind of stuff in the specs
    --Means it's a large-diaphram. Large-diaphram usually means anything over 15mm.

--It's very directional; it needs to be pointed pretty much right at whatever's making sound.

--It will pick up any noise that can be heard by the human ear.

Output Impedance: 200
    --It's a low-impedance mic, which means the signal will travel well down cables.

Sensitivity: -39dB re 1volt/pascal (12mV @ 94dB SPL) +/-2dB
    --It has good transient response, will pick up the nuances of what you're recording.

--It's kinda noisy... <12 dBA is good, <8dBA is better. Rode is right around 5 dBA.

--It's got decent headroom, but still might "peak" (distort the mic pres).

--Between the mic's self-noise and the peak point, there is 123 dB range. 123 dB is average.

Maximum SPL: > 140dB SPL (@ 1% THD into 1K) Signal/Noise Ratio: > 77dB (per IEC268-15)
    --The loudest noise you can hit this mic with is 140 dB SPL. That's pretty frickin' loud... you'll be fine.

Power Requirements: P48, P24, P12 phantom 9V battery
    --It requires phantom power, like any condenser mic does. It can also use a 9-volt battery, if you don't have phantom power.
    --Means it's a large-diaphram. Large-diaphram usually means anything over 15mm.

--It's very directional; it needs to be pointed pretty much right at whatever's making sound.

--It will pick up any noise that can be heard by the human ear.

Output Impedance: 200
    --It's a low-impedance mic, which means the signal will travel well down cables.

Sensitivity: -39dB re 1volt/pascal (12mV @ 94dB SPL) +/-2dB
    --It has good transient response, will pick up the nuances of what you're recording.

--It's kinda noisy... <12 dBA is good, <8dBA is better. Rode is right around 5 dBA.

--It's got decent headroom, but still might "peak" (distort the mic pres).

--Between the mic's self-noise and the peak point, there is 123 dB range. 123 dB is average.

--The loudest noise you can hit this mic with is 140 dB SPL. That's pretty frickin' loud... you'll be fine.

Power Requirements: P48, P24, P12 phantom 9V battery
    --It requires phantom power, like any condenser mic does. It can also use a 9-volt battery, if you don't have phantom power.

wow thank you. that was extreamly helpful, now i understand what i'm lookin for. Thank you very much