computer help!!

sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
my computer is dead, its a sony vaio...i was on it this morning, everything was fine. then i went to sleep. I awoke to the computer in sleep mode, i turned it on it worked fine. loaded up yahho and aim, again wored fine. clicked on a buddy on aim and the thing turns off...and i turn it back on it go's on, but wont let windows start up, and then it turns off again and turns back on and keps doing that....now i feel like breaking legs. cuz if my computer doesnt work, i cant record music, listen to music, contact like half my friends who's numbers i dont have or have memorized....i need that computer on....anyone know what to do?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Sounds like it could be the power supply if it keeps turning off. Check all your connections to make sure nothing is loose. Laptop or desktop? Also, call Sony, if its still under warranty they should be able to help you. Good luck.
  • yeah, my mac laptop battery just shit itself...good I only leave it on the desk anyway...hopefully it's hardware and not software...sounds dumb, but just double check wires and things like that first...could be something real simple
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
    yeah, my mac laptop battery just shit itself...good I only leave it on the desk anyway...hopefully it's hardware and not software...sounds dumb, but just double check wires and things like that first...could be something real simple

My batteries have done that to me too. You charge them up, they deplete to about 50 - 60 % and then just shut off. You plug them in and they're at 0%. Call Apple, if you're still under warranty they'll replace it. Did for me, I got two free batteries from them.
  • moster78 wrote:
    My batteries have done that to me too. You charge them up, they deplete to about 50 - 60 % and then just shut off. You plug them in and they're at 0%. Call Apple, if you're still under warranty they'll replace it. Did for me, I got two free batteries from them.
    it's about two and a half years old...so no warranty...no recall, none of that. they're built to last right past the warranty and then die. it's $100 I don't feel like spending...so...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • well if windows wouldnt start up, then its not a power supply

does it give you any error messages?
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
    thank you everyone for yur help.i ran system restore, and now i have a screen that says "windows could not start up cuz of a error in the software, please report this problem as 'lod needed DLLs for kernel'

wtf does that mean?
  • sevensins wrote:
    thank you everyone for yur help.i ran system restore, and now i have a screen that says "windows could not start up cuz of a error in the software, please report this problem as 'lod needed DLLs for kernel'

wtf does that mean?

it means you lost a system file or some shit, i think

i had that...if thats what it is, then your going to have to restore the computer to factory settings, but i think that only worked for me because i have 2 hard-drives and 1 crashed and 1 allowed me to restore
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    assuming you have XP, go to accessories -> system tools -> system restore and roll back to a few days ago when it worked.
    exhausted wrote:
    assuming you have XP, go to accessories -> system tools -> system restore and roll back to a few days ago when it worked.

That's only if you can get into Windows. I'd use the restore or OS CD that came with your computer, boot off that and see what happens.
  • 1st thing is remove that hard disk and place it on another computer then back up your files then return the hard disk to your computer, after backing up your files to anothe computer, 1st thing to try is try reformatting the hard disk and install fresh copy of XP, if it still does that, borrow a working power supply if it still dead i think thats the processor, its the motherboard that is grounded that happend to me and i returned my MOBO and got it replaced when it was replaced it worked fine.

so do this,
    1.Test reformat and reinstall XP
    2. TEst another power Supply
    3. Change motherboard <-- my main Suspect !!!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    moster78 wrote:
    That's only if you can get into Windows. I'd use the restore or OS CD that came with your computer, boot off that and see what happens.

that's true. i'd forgotten about the fact that he may not even be able to get in that far.
  • sevensinssevensins Posts: 887
    ok this keeps getting weirder, i restored back to factory defaults. then filled out the crap you gotta fill out when u first get the computer. it says it needs to restart, it does and then i get the message again(windows could not start up cuz of a error in the software, please report this problem as 'lod needed DLLs for kernel). so i try restoreing again and then this tme it works after the restart. the computer comes on and 'recovery wizard pops up to install something. i'm not sure what its doing. then it says it requires restart, and i do the restart and i getthe friggin message again and it wont start up!!

ps thanks all for your help and patients, its greatly apreachated
  • reformat your hardsisk and reinstall a fresh copy of your operating system
    reformat your hardsisk and reinstall a fresh copy of your operating system

Just back everything up first.
  • thanks for the help everyone, after i re-forfatted everything it worked fine. sucks i had to go through all this, and i still have no idea how it happened. but thanks again, a thousand times

cheers
    sevensins wrote:
    thanks for the help everyone, after i re-forfatted everything it worked fine. sucks i had to go through all this, and i still have no idea how it happened. but thanks again, a thousand times

cheers

I blame Windows being a crappy and problem ridden OS. But thats just me.