hearing protection

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey I know this is kind of a dumb question but I feel it is important. For those of you who are in bands, what kind of hearing protection do you use; and which is best to use? I am curious because my friends are thinking of starting a band, and the last time I had my hearing tested there was a high range frequency loss in my right ear. Again I know I sound like a dork saying this; but If I get the opportunity I really would like to do vocals in this band.
Iam also curious to see how other bandsmuscicians handle their ear situations as far as protecting them.
Thanks for your help.
p.s.the audiologist suggested earplugs at concerts even; does anyone else do this?
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• silassilas Posts: 23
    I use Remington shooting hearing protectors for when I'm practicing drums, they work well for full band rehersals too because you can easily slip them off, and they just reduce the volume (some treble also). For shows (with your band) I would wear high quality in-ear earplugs. As for concerts, I wouldn't think so unless you are very close to the stage or speakers and go to lots of concerts.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    As an engineer, my ears are my most important tools. Whenever I'm in a loud environment (band practice, on stage, or at a concert) I try to wear hearing protection. Pretty much anything will help... basic earplugs, custom ear molds, or twisted-up paper towel. Hear-O's are a good brand, and you can get them in bulk from Musician's Friend. Start with 20 dB or so, and go higher or lower depending on how that treats you. You could also go to an audiologist (someone who makes hearing aids, etc) and have an ear mold made to get custom flat-response plugs that won't color the sound. They're a bit pricey, though. I usually wear generic 32 dB plugs, except when I engineer (although I usually put plugs in after I get the mix dialed in, and then take them out to check periodically). Earplugs will give you an added advantage: They will block external noise, allowing you to hear your voice better via internal sound transfer (noise traveling through your skull). Another thing to keep in mind (for the future, anyways) are in-ear monitors (IEM's). Shure and Sennheiser both make entry-level wireless IEM systems that sell for around $400. They allow you to keep the sound levels much more reasonable because they are focused right into your ear canal, and they help block external noise. They can be hard to get used to, but find someone who's used them and given up on them... they're great. And they help the engineer, which we all should do anyways.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • earplugs tend to reduce treble, but make sure the ones you get don't do this too much. i hate wearing earplugs at concerts, because it drowns out most of the guitar sound, and you just get this dull, bassy sound rather than the sound of the entire band.

and if you are in the band, you may want to reduce the volume on your own ears, but you want to be able to hear the sound of your band as it really is.
    knowledge is a tree
    it's growing up just like me.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by given to jam
    earplugs tend to reduce treble, but make sure the ones you get don't do this too much. i hate wearing earplugs at concerts, because it drowns out most of the guitar sound, and you just get this dull, bassy sound rather than the sound of the entire band.

and if you are in the band, you may want to reduce the volume on your own ears, but you want to be able to hear the sound of your band as it really is.

It's better than tinnitis, or having permanent hearing loss above 1kHz.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    It's better than tinnitis, or having permanent hearing loss above 1kHz.

agreed. well worht it.

but also, i do understand that it sucks playing with ear plugs in. i hadnt worn earplugs during rehearsals, realyl stupid...but now i do. but not for the live show. too much is drowned out and i just dont get that energy and full sound of the band..but usually on a stage with amix its much quieter than a dungy room rehearsing. being on a stage in a club isnt as loud..and is much reasonable, so no earplugs during a show. but rehearsing , fuck yes...cause you really do cut out alot of noise and if you get nice ones...you can hear alot better all around.