Pearl jam and hearing protection

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just out of curiousity, what kind of hearing protectors do the members use if any. I know Matt uses those yellow foam plugs, and I think he even uses a IEM, but what do the other members use, because on the videos you can't see any devices in the ear.

I was just wondering because if I sing for the band I am thinking of trying for; I want to protect my hearing. and the thought struck me what do the members of pj do since they have been playing for years and years.
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• in fact the members of pearl jam are entirely deaf and only perform so well due to their ability to feel the vibrations from their instruments. so i guess they dont use ear protection
  • Originally posted by a_gherkin
    in fact the members of pearl jam are entirely deaf and only perform so well due to their ability to feel the vibrations from their instruments. so i guess they dont use ear protection

HAHA....Thats my technique too! I've tried numerous sets of earplugs, but can't find ones that work for me. I don't want to loose my hearing, but I also don't want to sound like shit and not realize it! LIfe is full of compromises!
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • I got these awesome ones from Walgreens. They are these little blue things that just lower the sound a couple of decibels.
  • Any pro or any concertgoer should be wearing some sort of earplug, especially if you are playing a lot. You don't know you're losing your hearing until it's too late. Loud music headphones can get you even faster, as most people spend more time listening to Walkmen or Ipods or whatever.
    (As can lawn mowers and city honking horns and those f*ng jackhammers that always position themselves right outside the window at 7:00 am whenever I stay in NYC!:D

Almost all pros that have been playing for a long time use some sort of custom fit attenuators if they're not using in-ear monitors. They range from 150 bucks and up, and are worth it,,

but for a few bucks, you can get decent earplugs that cut the decibels and balance the trebles and bass frequencies. The high trebles are what get you first.
    Cheap foam plugs are good for major sound reduction, but aren't great for a musician unless you are really in the middle of a bunch of drums.

Try Rock and roll Hearo's or check at a music store and find some musician's plugs. It may take a couple types to get it right.
    http://www.hearrecords.com/shop/index.shtml has some varieties, or get some at a music store.

You'd also be surprised in a loud club, if you wear good plugs, you can actually hear people talking to you better than without, as they filter out a lot of background noise.

:)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I've tried numerous sets of earplugs, but can't find ones that work for me. I don't want to loose my hearing, but I also don't want to sound like shit and not realize it! LIfe is full of compromises!

how bout this for compromise, you plug one ear and leave the other free, that way you only loose half your hearing, and dont suck on stage. im a genius
  • i never really thoiught of using hearing protection when our band gets together. maybe i should...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I believe in using hearing protection, not only because it saves your ears, but also because I tend to hear things clearer (albeit with less impact) with earplugs.

One big reason people don't like to wear earplugs is that high pressure levels (loud noises) can cause your body to react with endorphins, giving a sense of euphoria. It's actually a reaction to what your body perceives as pain, which is logical because you really are hurting your ears. People who come out of concerts often act or feel drunk, not because they were drinking or smoking or whatever, but because of this endorphin high.

As a musician and a sound engineer, my ears are the most important body part I have. Well, maybe the family jewels, too... but I almost always have a set of earplugs in my pocket.

I second the recommendation of Hear-O's brand earplugs. AOSafety plugs are my preference, though, just because they're cheaper.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.