best ways to train a singing voice

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
For those who do vocals; what are the best ways to go about finding the vocal range; and training the voice. I have been in chior( not in a long time, its been years) and also is it just to late to vocally train my voice.
Any info would be helpful
Thank you
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've been studying Hindustani Vocal for the past year. The style of singing is very similar to what Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan does.

It has been helpful but luckily I have a good guru teaching me.
    www.PintoMusic.com
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
  • Don't whisper. That hurts your voice more than screaming. Don't drink alcohol or soda, don't smoke, and rest your voice. That's what my drama teacher told me. But the only things I drink are soda and beer, and I smoke occasionally. I don't whisper, but I do yell and scream. So.......the best way to train your voice is to practice and be able to hear yourself. Singing with a piano helps a lot. Sing with the radio and cd's. Listen to people's vocal melodies and try to match it. Just sing and keep singing. Working with the choir will help. They'll teach you how to breathe properly. The most important thing is breathing. Then hearing yourself. Sorry, I kind of rambled on. But if you can a get a teacher one on one, it helps a ton. I did that when I was 17, and it set me a head years. I had no prior singing training or expierance really. She thought me how to breathe and all of that. Really helpful.
    Your head will collapse if there's nothing in it -Black Francis
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    A community or church choir makes for good practice, not only finding range, but learning harmony, melody, and proper projection.

You learn best by doing, that's my mantra...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • thanks for the advice, i could use the practice. when my mic's arive i'm gonna sound so perty ;)
  • My dad sang in a band for years. Then one day he decided to go for lessons and try to get better. The teacher stopped him immediately and said that his singing was so bad that there must be something physically wrong with him. My dad got pissed. Since he had already paid for an hour of lessons, he made her continue the lessons. It was probably torture for the bitch.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by SpliffTastic
    My dad sang in a band for years. Then one day he decided to go for lessons and try to get better. The teacher stopped him immediately and said that his singing was so bad that there must be something physically wrong with him. My dad got pissed. Since he had already paid for an hour of lessons, he made her continue the lessons. It was probably torture for the bitch.

That's exactly what would happen if Bob Dylan or Tom Petty or any number of accomplished singers went in for vocal lessons...

Sometimes it's the imperfections that makes a voice endearing. Besides, who in rock music is a great singer by technical standards? Technically, people like Celine Dion and Josh Groban are great singers... but I'd rather listen to Bob Dylan any day.

That being said, it's still a good idea to learn how to breathe correctly, and learning harmony and melody will expand your abilities. That's why a church or community choir would be good... lessons that don't try to eliminate your true vocal character.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Salif Keita went out into the desert in Mali and screamed his head off all day long. That's how he trained. And wow, what a voice.