Questions about bass strings/ amp cord

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

Ive had my bass since Christmas and when my parents bought it, the Guy at Guitar Center changed the strings out and put thicker ones on so the bass would stay in tune for longer periods of time. Anyway, When do most bass players change the strings out on their bass?
Also, Is it ok to use a guitar amp chord in a bass amp? (Just the chord, I have a bass amp).

Thanks for the help
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yes thats fine, as long as its a chord, and most bassists/guitarists change ther strings when its starting to sound old and worn or b4 a performance to get the "wow" sound, hope that helps u
    Fuck The System
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Bass strings last a LOT longer than guitar strings. I've had strings on a bass I played regularly for as long as two years, and I replace guitar strings about every two months. But it really depends on a lot of factors: how often you play, how humid it is where you live, what kind of strings, how much you sweat... I've seen bass players who had to replace strings before every gig because the factors stacked up.

Ultimately, if you wipe down your strings regularly with a good cloth (can usually get them at a music store) you'll extend the life of the strings pretty far. Replace them when they start to show signs of corrosion, string-wear (where the string winding starts eroding away), or just lose too much life tonally. I just did a tracking session with a bass player who had strings that were two years old, just because he preferred the tone of dead strings. It's very subjective. I like fairly new strings on a bass, but I love old strings on a dreadnaught acoustic.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • JayJay Posts: 24
    red mos wrote:
    Hey all,

Ive had my bass since Christmas and when my parents bought it, the Guy at Guitar Center changed the strings out and put thicker ones on so the bass would stay in tune for longer periods of time. Anyway, When do most bass players change the strings out on their bass?
    Also, Is it ok to use a guitar amp chord in a bass amp? (Just the chord, I have a bass amp).

Thanks for the help

right change ur bass strings wenever dey sound old n crap! i left mine on for like 1yr and only changed em coz sumone bought me new ones!! and u are grand usin da guitar chord in da bass it wnt do any damage i use one all da time!! hope dis helps
    i'll ride the wave.... where it takes me