Bass tablature question

red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I am trying to learn to play I won't back down by tom petty on the bass (4 string fender) and the song seems really simple, but I have had NO music lessons ever and don't know how to read music though this is an internet tab so I don't think reading music matters. For the chorus and verses of the song underneath the tab lines it has this: 1&2&3&4. I understand that this is a measure pattern, and I have tried playing along with the song, and without the song, and you can tell what I am trying to play, but it just sounds real flat. It does not sound as good as the cd and I am wondering what picking pattern should I use? up/ down strokes, all down strokes? I really want to play this song with the correct timimg and perfect so any help on the 1234 measure and the common 4/4 time would be helpful. Maybe if I understood the picking pattern and the 1&2&3&4 and 4/4 common time, I might be able to play better.
Thanks so much for the help, I guess I should have learned to read musoc when I was younger, but people keep telling me that you can play even if you don't know how.
PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tboneotboneo Posts: 20
    some tab is very.....wrong,
    what i do is i read the tab while i listen to the song. i learn the song in steps, intro, verse, chorus, etc. if it sounds flat, perhaps the song/band plays in a diffrent tuning. if the tab says the first note is for example

---5---
    then tune your bass to that note.

i'll e-mail you some tips for reading bass tab if you'd like.
    jurochbis@msn.com