Options

60s Classic Strat

itsevolutionbabyitsevolutionbaby Posts: 144
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,
I recently got a 60s classic strat for Xmas, and have been a little dissapointed in the sound. It plays well, besides a g string buzz. My biggest complaint is the lack of sustain and too much treble in the sound, especially on the bridge pickup. I know it is a mexican strat, but it was like $600, and I just expected a little bit more. It was a total surprise, so I didn't have any input into the purchase. Any suggestions on sustain / tone and fixing the fret rattle on the g?
BTW - I am playing through a Marshall JCM 900 all tube 50watt head, and a 4x12 cabinet with celestion geenbacks.
What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    on the string buzz issue, wherever it was bought should offer a proper set-up of the guitar with the purchase price.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by itsevolutionbaby
    Hey all,
    I recently got a 60s classic strat for Xmas, and have been a little dissapointed in the sound. It plays well, besides a g string buzz. My biggest complaint is the lack of sustain and too much treble in the sound, especially on the bridge pickup. I know it is a mexican strat, but it was like $600, and I just expected a little bit more. It was a total surprise, so I didn't have any input into the purchase. Any suggestions on sustain / tone and fixing the fret rattle on the g?
    BTW - I am playing through a Marshall JCM 900 all tube 50watt head, and a 4x12 cabinet with celestion geenbacks.

Probably a big part of it is 9 gauge strings. Up the gauge (setup as well) to 10 or 11 prefereabaly and you'll get much less string interaction and the tone will fatten immensely you're fingers will adjust to the larger gauge . . Next. Find a decent Compressor If you want we can offer some great suggestions, The MXR dynacomp is prettymuch standard. This will enhance your level of sustain immensely.

Also this involves a substantial read FAT midrange boost but I prefer my clean sound either with the compressor or with my Barber Direct Drive (Tubescreamer) set to a clean boost setting gain all the way down volume all the way up.

If you prefer a more transparent boost the Boss BD-2 is a good way to go. A nice overdrive really really fattens the single coils and lets them ring like they should.

That's a really nice looking guitar man and I am envious of those amplifiers. If you are looking for a cleaner more transparent compression Dr. Squishy from toadworks is great, as is David Barbers Tone Press.

The most famous compressor that in my opinion perfects the Dyna Comp variety of compressors is the Ross Compressor, Robert Keeley and Mike Pierra (Analogman) make the best versions of this compressor I have ever seen.

Equally good are the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer and the Electro Harmonix Black Finger. If you aren't looking to spend over a grand anyway.

A stomp box will fix up your fatness just like that.

check out, http://www.musictoyz.com and peruse the various compressors.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    There's always switching pickups...

hehehe...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    There's always switching pickups...

hehehe...

yup. i think this is a better option.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    yup. i think this is a better option.

I want someone here to build a Quarter-Pounder Strat.

Actually, I want $500 to build my own.
  • Options
    any pick up suggestions? I would like to keep the strat sound (I have a Les Paul) but give it a little more tone and sustain.
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • Options
    any pick up suggestions? I would like to keep the strat sound (I have a Les Paul) but give it a little more tone and sustain.

Well, either Texas Specials or stacked humbuckers.
  • Options

Suhr V60's

Lindy Fralin Blues

Dimarzio Virtual Vintage

Seymour Duncan vintage stacks to name a few

Look for P/U's in the over wound variety, the more turns the Fatter (less high end more mids) it will be.

Generally the higher the Ohms For instance 6.0K 7.5K 9.2K the fatter the pickup will be.

Rio Grande might be up your alley as well.

http://www.musictoyz.com/rio.htm#strat
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Probably a big part of it is 9 gauge strings. Up the gauge (setup as well) to 10 or 11 prefereabaly and you'll get much less string interaction and the tone will fatten immensely you're fingers will adjust to the larger gauge .

i have always used 9's and just alos got a mex strat that has some various fret buzzes. the guitar is really well set up, will swiching to 10's really help, i have never heard of that before.
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    Originally posted by ski4
    i have always used 9's and just alos got a mex strat that has some various fret buzzes. the guitar is really well set up, will swiching to 10's really help, i have never heard of that before.

Well, if you're sure the neck is straight and the set-up is good...

10's will probably be a bit better, they don't vibrate as loosely, so they'll be less likely to hit the frets. Also, if you're using Ernie Ball Slinky strings, get rid of those! They're the devil's strings, and they'll buzz the worst. I prefer GHS Boomers, but DR's get good reviews here too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, if you're sure the neck is straight and the set-up is good...

10's will probably be a bit better, they don't vibrate as loosely, so they'll be less likely to hit the frets. Also, if you're using Ernie Ball Slinky strings, get rid of those! They're the devil's strings, and they'll buzz the worst. I prefer GHS Boomers, but DR's get good reviews here too.

I've just taken a liking to Dean Markley Blue Steels as well, but DR Tite Fit's are and will always be my favorite
  • Options
    ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    yep they are super slinky, i'll try some others in a 10
    thanks
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • Options
    Originally posted by ski4
    yep they are super slinky, i'll try some others in a 10
    thanks

Can I call it, or what?

Stupid Slinkies...